Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National Compliment Day...and

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Today is National Compliment Day. I think this is a wonderful idea. I'll start if off by offering a compliment to Joel Sydney Kelly. JSK, you are the master of the photoshop. I admire your ability to find the "just right" photos to use and please keep them coming.

Second and, certainly, not by much is National Beer Can Day. Here's a little history:
Beer Can Appreciation Day recognizes the great day in 1935 when beer was first sold in cans. Credit for the first beverage can goes to the Krueger Brewing Company of Richmond, Virginia. Made of steel and weighing in at almost 4 ounces, these hefty canisters opened with a church key. The first beer produced in a can goes to Krueger Brewing Company of Richmond, Virgina but it was American Can Company that made canning drinkable beer possible. Krueger’s took the risk with American Can Company just weeks before the repeal of Prohibition.
Weighing in at 4 ounces, the hefty steel cans opened with a church key. Loyal Krueger’s drinkers favored the can over the bottle 9-1.

• 1935 -Cone-Top – G. Heilemann Brewing Company – La Crosse, WI – Introduces cone-top cans which fit existing bottling lines convenient for small brewers with small budgets.

Third, and a little further behind that National Beer Can Day is National Peanut butter day. To GWC I offer the sincerest compliment I can. Good work GW, my life is better because of your work. Thanks for keeping choppin' until you came up with a winner.

Any compliments you want to put out there? Any beer can stories, like crushing a steel beer can. I'm a little afraid to ask for peanut butter stories, but go ahead if you have some.

Comments

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@TNDawg71 said:
    @donm You do an excellent job with the National Day posts

thank you. You are a wonderfully prompt poster.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019
  • JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:
    Today is National Compliment Day. I think this is a wonderful idea. I'll start if off by offering a compliment to Joel Sydney Kelly. JSK, you are the master of the photoshop. I admire your ability to find the "just right" photos to use and please keep them coming.

Thanks, @donm . I enjoy the diversion from my "regular" job. I'm lucky to have this forum to post my "cartoons."

• DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like these posts as well! Nice job, @donm

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You're so unique, and your opinions are always right and valued, @WCDawg

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:
    You're so unique, and your opinions are always right and valued, @WCDawg

Use this one again on National Sarcasm Day

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm a little confused why no one has "bitten' on the peanut butter part of the post. Also a little "crushed" that no one has offered on the historical drama of the metal been can.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019

Yo @donm bro, these threads are my favorite and I look forward to them each morning/afternoon when I get to them

Beer can stories... I have a few. The first one that comes to mind is from my younger days. I have watched to many movies to think this was a good idea. A buddy and me were working on his old truck and wanted to pour some gas down the carb to try and get it running. We had no gas to use and I didn’t want to head to the gas station for a little bit of gas, but there was a old farm truck with good gas in it. We cut the top off a beer can out his dad’s shop and a portion of a water hose. I shoved the hose down into the fuel tank and went to syphon gas from the fuel tank into the beer can. I got two or three drops of gas in the beer can, a ton in my nose, shirt was soaked, some on the manhood (which burned like.... the dickens) and some on the floor. The headache was awful and the boys apparently recovered because I got two kids now. The headache was rough, but we had a good laugh

Bros and broettes is there anything better than PB? Sure there are better things to eat, but it is always a go too for me. Even when I don’t want a PB&J sandwich, I will make one and always leave satisfied.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JRT812 said:
    Yo @donm bro, these threads are my favorite and I look forward to them each morning/afternoon when I get to them

Beer can stories... I have a few. The first one that comes to mind is from my younger days. I have watched to many movies to think this was a good idea. A buddy and me were working on his old truck and wanted to pour some gas down the carb to try and get it running. We had no gas to use and I didn’t want to head to the gas station for a little bit of gas, but there was a old farm truck with good gas in it. We cut the top off a beer can out his dad’s shop and a portion of a water hose. I shoved the hose down into the fuel tank and went to syphon gas from the fuel tank into the beer can. I got two or three drops of gas in the beer can, a ton in my nose, shirt was soaked, some on the manhood (which burned like.... the dickens) and some on the floor. The headache was awful and the boys apparently recovered because I got two kids now. The headache was rough, but we had a good laugh

Bros and broettes is there anything better than PB? Sure there are better things to eat, but it is always a go too for me. Even when I don’t want a PB&J sandwich, I will make one and always leave satisfied.

This reminds me of a story. I am in to 80’s 4x4s. I once went to look at a Jeep J10 truck. Same issue. Needed gas and the fguy who owned it said he couldnt be there and to just talk to his dad. So we get there about 6 and “dad” is about a 6 pack deep already. He puts some gas in a beer can so he drip a little in the airbox to get it started, which I knew would cause a backfire. So he pours a little in there and tells the guy Im with to turn the key. Almost starts but not quite so he pours another little bit in and repeat the same until it fires and sure enough fire jumps out of the engine. Real fire. We put it out before anything really hppens but “Dad” is frazzled and needs a drink of his beer. I dont know how much gasoline got in his mouth before he realized he had turned up the wrong beer can, but he spit and gagged and coughed for 5 minutes. We left and laughed our asses off all the way to the interstate.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:

@JRT812 said:

This reminds me of a story. I am in to 80’s 4x4s. I once went to look at a Jeep J10 truck. Same issue. Needed gas and the fguy who owned it said he couldnt be there and to just talk to his dad. So we get there about 6 and “dad” is about a 6 pack deep already. He puts some gas in a beer can so he drip a little in the airbox to get it started, which I knew would cause a backfire. So he pours a little in there and tells the guy Im with to turn the key. Almost starts but not quite so he pours another little bit in and repeat the same until it fires and sure enough fire jumps out of the engine. Real fire. We put it out before anything really hppens but “Dad” is frazzled and needs a drink of his beer. I dont know how much gasoline got in his mouth before he realized he had turned up the wrong beer can, but he spit and gagged and coughed for 5 minutes. We left and laughed our asses off all the way to the interstate.

Hahahahaha that made my day.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm Official day to compliment a rival? Okay, here’s something! I just love hearing the words of wisdom each year in Jacksonville from those Florida players. They have some real geniuses! Particularly when they’re breaking down what Georgia can (or cannot?) do well. Hope that they one day all become DB coaches, and/or DC’s there at Florida. Hahahahahaha!!!

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:
    I'm a little confused why no one has "bitten' on the peanut butter part of the post. Also a little "crushed" that no one has offered on the historical drama of the metal been can.

Oh? Simple. Sometimes you feel like a nut, and sometimes you don't.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,038 mod

My compliments to you for bringing this to our attention!

Not all remember when beer cans had to be opened by a "church key", and I'll say that "Pop Tops" were my first in the early seventies.

And even though I don't like peanut butter, my wife was aware of the national day and had some on crackers.....

A good day all around!

• CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm, you have nice hair.

• AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Here’s a compliment to pass on: “You don’t sweat much for a fat girl”.
    That will make her day.

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I prefer beer from a bottle and feel that this proclamation takes away from other special days by being the one too many special day.