Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Books

Comments

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@texdawg said:
    Awesome find on the Dooley book. And I'll read 'The Undefeated'. Dent's life was/is a wreck but he is a great author.

I had no idea Dent's life was such a train wreck until you posted this and I did some research on him. Good Lord....10 DUIs and looking at a 20 year prison sentence, not to mention bail-jumping and hiding out in Mexico as a fugitive for months....but all of what sentences he got was to be served concurrently and he is only doing about 5 years.

What a waste of life and talent due to alcohol.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UnderDog68 said:

@texdawg said:
    Awesome find on the Dooley book. And I'll read 'The Undefeated'. Dent's life was/is a wreck but he is a great author.

I had no idea Dent's life was such a train wreck until you posted this and I did some research on him. Good Lord....10 DUIs and looking at a 20 year prison sentence, not to mention bail-jumping and hiding out in Mexico as a fugitive for months....but all of what sentences he got was to be served concurrently and he is only doing about 5 years.

What a waste of life and talent due to alcohol.

Very unfortunate.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@RxDawg said:

@scooterdawg said:

@RxDawg said:

@Steve_Zissou said:
    Good call on Slaughterhouse 5. Need to read again.
    Stormlight Archives is a great series for fantasy fans

Currently reading Micheners “Caribbean”. Not as good as “Hawaii”

Dune is my favorite book of all time

Stormlight is pretty good. But his Mistborn series is his best work IMO. But Branden Sanderson is an amazing author regardless. I've yet to read anything by him I didn't love.

I browse the suggestabook type threads on Reddit and other places and I've seen tons of recs for Sanderson. He seems to have a lot of books/series and I've been wondering where would be a good place to start with him? Should I give Mistborn a try or start with a one off to see if I like him do ya think?

Mistborn for sure. It's a completed 3 book series. Although he did write other books in that world that occur much later. But that book series absolutely amazed me and could very well be my favorite of all time. The ending is phenomenal. And what is really neat is that each of the 3 books is very different. Same people and world but the story takes amazing turns that you will never see coming. I truly can't recommend it enough.

I had an audible credit and a bit of driving to do yesterday so I picked up the first Mistborn book The Final Empire. I’m about six chapters in and digging it so far. Thanks for the rec.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@scooterdawg said:

@RxDawg said:

@scooterdawg said:

@RxDawg said:

@Steve_Zissou said:

Stormlight is pretty good. But his Mistborn series is his best work IMO. But Branden Sanderson is an amazing author regardless. I've yet to read anything by him I didn't love.

I browse the suggestabook type threads on Reddit and other places and I've seen tons of recs for Sanderson. He seems to have a lot of books/series and I've been wondering where would be a good place to start with him? Should I give Mistborn a try or start with a one off to see if I like him do ya think?

Mistborn for sure. It's a completed 3 book series. Although he did write other books in that world that occur much later. But that book series absolutely amazed me and could very well be my favorite of all time. The ending is phenomenal. And what is really neat is that each of the 3 books is very different. Same people and world but the story takes amazing turns that you will never see coming. I truly can't recommend it enough.

I had an audible credit and a bit of driving to do yesterday so I picked up the first Mistborn book The Final Empire. I’m about six chapters in and digging it so far. Thanks for the rec.

I honestly envy you very much right now. I think you are about to experience an incredible story. The 2nd book is completely different, and very fascinating as it deals with the philosophy of governing.... and I'll just leave it there. But if you read good books, you can learn something even if it's fiction.

• Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The three I re-read in 2018 include two which are long and not uplifting, along with a great, inspirational book which I've given out more copies than I can remember. I recommend all three wholeheartedly!

Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
    The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand
    Season of Life - Jeffrey Marx

• daddydawg72daddydawg72 Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm currently reading the Charlie Parker series by John Connolly. It's something like the TV show Supernatural.
    I enjoyed the Elvis Cole books by Robert Crais. Elvis is a private eye with a corny sense of humor.
    Also enjoyed authors Dennis Lehane and Ace Atkins.

• LazendaddyLazendaddy Posts: 120 ✭✭✭ Junior

Anyone ever read Artemis by Weir or Aramada by Cline?

• HumbleYourselfHumbleYourself Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

@Lazendaddy said:
    Anyone ever read Artemis by Weir or Aramada by Cline?

Both are good, but neither is on the same level as Ready Player One or The Martian in my opinion. But absolutely worth the read.

@RxDawg said:

@scooterdawg said:

@RxDawg said:

@scooterdawg said:

@RxDawg said:

@Steve_Zissou said:

I honestly envy you very much right now. I think you are about to experience an incredible story. The 2nd book is completely different, and very fascinating as it deals with the philosophy of governing.... and I'll just leave it there. But if you read good books, you can learn something even if it's fiction.

Very glad this was recommended. I picked it up based on the recommendation and have enjoyed it greatly.so far.

• kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just finished A Moveable Feast and The Maltese Falcon. Was disappointed with the first, tho I like Hem. The Hammett was great as usual. About to start re-reading Martian Time Slip by Philip K. Dick and On The Mound with Greg Maddux.

• pippin888pippin888 Posts: 166 ✭✭✭ Junior

@WCDawg said:

@scooterdawg said:

@benjaminwgregg said:
    I'm reading some steinbeck rn. Cannery row

That’s one of his I haven’t read actually. Grapes of Wrath wasn’t really my bag but I like East of Eden and of Mice and Men a lot. Let us know how ya like it.

Steinbeck had a lot of affect on me when I read him from about 12 to 16 years old. I don't have much patience for fiction these days. I read mostly history, and current event type stuff now.

I am a historical fiction fan> @texdawg said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@texdawg said:
    Great football reads by Jim Dent

1. Junction Boys
    2. Twelve Mighty Orphans

Both are true and both are excellent

Read 'The Undefeated: The Story of the Oklahoma Sooners and The Greatest Winning Streak in College Football' also by Dent. It's the story of how Oklahoma rose to prominence in the late 40s and during the 50s under Bud Wilkinson, and it details their 47-game winning streak, and also the aftermath when they finally did lose a game.

It tells of much corruption during their run, and also details interesting players they had back then...Like pro wrestler Wahoo McDaniel, and Prentiss Gaunt....the first black player to ever play for OU.

I highly recommend it if you are a college football fan in general.

On that note, I recently was in a Goodwill store and found a copy of Dooley's book written with Loren Smith on his 25 years coaching at UGA. As I opened the book, surprise, surprise.....It was autographed by Dooley himself. Bought it for only 5 bucks.

I am a historical fiction fan I like reading about the Napoleonic era one really good series is by Bernard Cornwell The Richard Sharpe series and for a completely different type of character of the same time. You can't go wrong with c s Forester Hornblower series the Richard Sharpe series is particularly good for recreating historical battlefields in fact at the end of many of his books he will apologize to the real historical figure for putting sharp in his place. If you want to go further back in time read the walking drum by Louis L'Amour it is about an eleventh-century adventurer and a really good read.

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I haven’t read a novel in a minute… I have always enjoyed King and Koontz. 3 of my favorites: The Green Mile, Midnight and Dragon Tears – I would recommend all 3 if you like fiction horror/sci fi.

Based on my fav’s, any recommendations?

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@HumbleYourself said:

@RxDawg said:

@scooterdawg said:

@RxDawg said:

@scooterdawg said:

@RxDawg said:

@Steve_Zissou said:

Very glad this was recommended. I picked it up based on the recommendation and have enjoyed it greatly.so far.

I'd love to hear back from you once you've finished the first book. Can PM if you want to avoid spoiler talk.

@RxDawg said:

@HumbleYourself said:

@RxDawg said:

@scooterdawg said:

@RxDawg said:

@scooterdawg said:

@RxDawg said:

@Steve_Zissou said:

I'd love to hear back from you once you've finished the first book. Can PM if you want to avoid spoiler talk.

Will do. Love talking books!

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,735 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've recently been introduced to Ken Follett's books.

I began with Eye of the Needle, then read most of his thrillers, and other 20th century books.

Now I'm finishing up with Pillars of the Earth. I'll continue that trilogy.

Mr. Follett does a good job with his history. I was a history major at UGA, but usually don't read actual historical fiction so reading Follett is a change in genres for me.

I read all sorts of fiction and non fiction, but tend sometimes towards thrillers, mysteries, and detective fiction. One of my favorite books in the last year was Grisham's book, The Racketter.

One of my favorite authors in recent years has been Max Allan Collins. Almost everything I've read by him has been good. Many of his books are period pieces of a sort and have historical settings and characters. Perhaps I read more historical fiction than I realized a few minutes ago.

Go, Dawgs!

• DamnYankeeDawgDamnYankeeDawg Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love reading WWII novels. When I take a break from those, I read finance books.

Currently reading Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer. Read it back in the early '90s and decided to read it again. Interesting historical perspective from Shirer as he was not a historian. He was a reporter for CBS during the rise of the Reich in the '30s and left in late 1940. Long book but well worth the read.

Previous book I read was Mission: Jimmy Stewart and the Fight for Europe. Gave up a very good Hollywood career to fight the war. He did not have an easy tour in WWII nor did he want one. 20 B-24 missions over Germany. First film back after the war - It's a Wonderful Life. After reading his biography, I have a new respect for the performance he gave in that film.

Finance novel - Simple Path to Wealth by JL Collins. Spend less than you earn. Invest the difference. Buy index funds. Can't get any easier than that.

• kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DamnYankeeDawg I am a huge Jimmy Stewart fan and wasn't aware of this book. Thanks. Queued.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DamnYankeeDawg said:
    I love reading WWII novels. When I take a break from those, I read finance books.

Currently reading Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer. Read it back in the early '90s and decided to read it again. Interesting historical perspective from Shirer as he was not a historian. He was a reporter for CBS during the rise of the Reich in the '30s and left in late 1940. Long book but well worth the read.

Previous book I read was Mission: Jimmy Stewart and the Fight for Europe. Gave up a very good Hollywood career to fight the war. He did not have an easy tour in WWII nor did he want one. 20 B-24 missions over Germany. First film back after the war - It's a Wonderful Life. After reading his biography, I have a new respect for the performance he gave in that film.

Finance novel - Simple Path to Wealth by JL Collins. Spend less than you earn. Invest the difference. Buy index funds. Can't get any easier than that.

As to personal finance, Venita VanCaspel (now dead, but books still available) put out many variations of her theme for success, the main one being to invest in no-load mutual funds for the long haul. Also live below your means; don't buy more life insurance than you need and recognize that LI is a means to have an immediate "estate", and once you are building assets, your need for LI decreases - so buy decreasing term life insurance; and you pay too much for annuities - may look good, but fees are too high. What I recall.

I read a bio on Jimmy Stewart and one on Henry Fonda. They were buds, so there was overlap - but different authors. Fonda was in naval intelligence. Both made a meaningful contribution to the war effort.

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As far as brain candy novels go, I’m a fan of Ward Larsen’s stuff, particularly his David Slaton novels.

I’m currently listening to Do Over by Jon Acuff.