Home The G.O.A.T.s: Forum Thread Hall of Fame
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Next to Commit to the G

Comments

• Options
    ThisDawgThisDawg Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Kasey said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

This would be a near perfect scenario. One year rental from a guy who played both TE and FB (in the SEC), depth. And it won’t bog down scholly for 2020 (when we should be in the market for 1-2 big time TEs)

Guessing this is the Seither backup plan

Replacement

• Options
    tiger_62082tiger_62082 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Caleb Holstein nearly led his high-powered St. Thomas Moore to a state championship upset of University Lab in the Superdome last month. Now, as his senior year approaches, he’s shifting gears to recruiting.

Yale is the offer that caught his attention the most in January, but the school he’s shown the most interest in has yet to offer.

Holstein, the 3-star pro-style signal-caller, visited Memphis over the weekend. While the Tigers have yet to offer to Louisiana prospect, they may be close to pulling the trigger. They welcomed Holstein and his family in for an exclusive junior day visit, which left Holstein with a good taste in his mouth upon his return home.

“I’ve definitely received a lot more attention lately. Things are starting to pick up. Georgia came by to watch me throw. I had Kentucky and TCU is coming by this week.”

“I just got back from a visit to Memphis. It was awesome. It was a great atmosphere, the barbecue was great, and the coaches seemed cool. I liked them a lot.”

“Memphis is a school that doesn’t throw out offers. They’ve only offered one kid (at quarterback). This was my first time getting up there and meeting all the coaches. It seemed like it could be a good fit in the future.”

RIVALS REACTION

Memphis may be on the verge of offering Holstein, which would go a long way in his recruitment. Cincinnati, Southern Miss and Louisiana Tech have already put offers on the table, but Holstein raved about Memphis. The transition from St. Thomas More to Memphis would be seamless for the pro-style passer.

Still, it would not be surprising if a Power 5 team checked off on Holstein. TCU, Georgia and Kentucky all stopped by in recent weeks, and both the Horned Frogs and Wildcats have nabbed Louisiana quarterbacks in recent recruiting cycles.

Holstein admits that he’s new to the recruiting landscape, so an early commitment is likely to come this spring or during camp season.

• Options

KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- Jeff Sims is a name plenty of college football fans are getting familiar with and that trend doesn't seem likely to change.

The Jacksonville (Fla.) Sandalwood junior quarterback has had a big January on the recruiting trail, adding major scholarship offers along the way. During an 11 day stretch this month he picked up offers from Georgia, Penn State, Florida State and several others.

"It was overwhelming but I have to be grounded and stay humble," he told 247Sports at the Pylon 7-0n-7 event in Orlando. "All of them came to see me and they liked what they saw so they offered."

The busy weekend for the 6-foot-3, 195-pound passer began with a trip to Athens.

"I went to Georgia Friday," Sims said. "It was nice, I got up with the coaches. They seemed honest and cool. They said the recruiting process is going to be crazy and to be ready for it. They said I'm a good player and I fit the type of offense they're running. I can run and throw at the same time so that's good.

"It's a nice school, it's a great school."

One of the most recent offering programs will host him next.

"I have a visit to Florida State this weekend," he said. "I went to a camp there with the previous staff. I want to see the dorms, the facilities and meet all the coaches."

[Related: Sims talks FSU scholarship offer]

Sims says there is no public list of leaders at this time but he isn't going to wait out the recruiting process as programs like Ohio State, Miami and Ole Miss show new interest.

"I'm planning on being committed after spring," he said. "I'm narrowing it in my head, but not sharing that right now.

"I want a school that is good academically and athletically would fit me."

Sims has yet to be ranked or rated by the industry-generated 247Sports Composite. He will open up among the top signal-callers in the state of Florida on 247Sports during the next update.

• Options
    Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tiger_62082 said:
    KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- Jeff Sims is a name plenty of college football fans are getting familiar with and that trend doesn't seem likely to change.

The Jacksonville (Fla.) Sandalwood junior quarterback has had a big January on the recruiting trail, adding major scholarship offers along the way. During an 11 day stretch this month he picked up offers from Georgia, Penn State, Florida State and several others.

"It was overwhelming but I have to be grounded and stay humble," he told 247Sports at the Pylon 7-0n-7 event in Orlando. "All of them came to see me and they liked what they saw so they offered."

The busy weekend for the 6-foot-3, 195-pound passer began with a trip to Athens.

"I went to Georgia Friday," Sims said. "It was nice, I got up with the coaches. They seemed honest and cool. They said the recruiting process is going to be crazy and to be ready for it. They said I'm a good player and I fit the type of offense they're running. I can run and throw at the same time so that's good.

"It's a nice school, it's a great school."

One of the most recent offering programs will host him next.

"I have a visit to Florida State this weekend," he said. "I went to a camp there with the previous staff. I want to see the dorms, the facilities and meet all the coaches."

[Related: Sims talks FSU scholarship offer]

Sims says there is no public list of leaders at this time but he isn't going to wait out the recruiting process as programs like Ohio State, Miami and Ole Miss show new interest.

"I'm planning on being committed after spring," he said. "I'm narrowing it in my head, but not sharing that right now.

"I want a school that is good academically and athletically would fit me."

Sims has yet to be ranked or rated by the industry-generated 247Sports Composite. He will open up among the top signal-callers in the state of Florida on 247Sports during the next update.

I've been really high on this kid for a minute and I'm glad UGA offered. Hope he comes to the G.

• Options
    brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wilftong just dropped a CB for Seither- not to UGA. i think our best bet at this point is to take the grad transfer from UT.

• Options
    superblackeaglesuperblackeagle Posts: 303 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mullen and four coaches attended Kaiir Elam's basketball game monday evening. It appears the gators are putting on the full court press for Mr. Elam's services.

• Options
    superblackeaglesuperblackeagle Posts: 303 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@superblackeagle said:
    Mullen and four coaches attended Kaiir Elam's basketball game monday evening. It appears the gators are putting on the full court press for Mr. Elam's services.

You all about Elam to UF arencha

• Options
    ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019

Does that say '23 as in year 2023?

Edit: Never mind he just has '23 on his twitter link thing

• Options
    CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@umooner said:

@superblackeagle said:

You all about Elam to UF arencha

Kirby will be there tonight, no worries

• Options
    CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

PWO commit video, new twist but I don’t mind it. Good for him and welcome aboard.

• Options

Arik Gilbert is not normal.

The 6-foot-5, 248 pound athlete out of Marietta, Ga. can commit to just about any school he wants to, he can play tight end or defensive end at an elite level, almost all coaches out there want this young man on their campus every weekend and even with all that, he is still so humble and hungry.

Not many top 10 prospects in the country love to compete the way Gilbert does. At every opportunity, the five-star athlete is working to improve his craft.

After visiting Clemson Saturday, Gilbert was going from station to station running the pro shuttle, doing the star drill and catching tennis balls at the Hustle Inc. 7v7 tryout.

You would never know this 2020 prospect is the No. 9-ranked prospect in America by his attitude. Someone is going to get a special player and that commitment could come in the next few months.

"I want to be committed before my senior year,", said Gilbert. "I am not sure exactly when yet, but I want to get it done this summer. I am looking to graduate early, so I want to be done with it before the season.

"The main schools right now are Clemson, Georgia and Tennessee with a couple of more that I am just looking at. I have visited those schools a lot and I know a lot about them. I definitely want to get out to Oklahoma too. They are definitely on my list."

CLEMSON: "I keep going back to Clemson because of their consistency. Coach Dabo Swinney is such a great coach and he has that program doing great things. They just won another National Championship, but I can really see the program only going up. They just have things going so well right now.

"The level of play only helps them. How they produce guys that catch the ball at wide receiver and tight end shows me a lot too. I feel if I go there, they can really help up my game. Those things at that family feel at Clemson help me like them."

GEORGIA: "The change at tight ends for Georgia really means nothing to me. I really didn't know coach [Todd] Hartley when he was at Miami, but we are talking now and getting to know each other. I just want to see more of him and see what he is about.

"With Georgia, I really like coach Kirby Smart and what he is doing there. Georgia is also my home state, so I like the location, I like where the school is at and how it is in my home state too."

OKLAHOMA: "I really want to get to Oklahoma. I do not have a date set yet, but they are a school I really want to visit. I am talking to coach [Shane] Beamer a lot and we have a good relationship. I knew him when he was at Georgia, so him and that offense they run really has my interest."

TENNESSEE: "Harrison Bailey is a great quarterback, so throwing with him and playing with him is something special. We have great chemistry and him going to Tennessee definitely plays a part in my interest in Tennessee.

"I also really like coach Jeremy Pruitt and what he is trying to do with the program there. I saw some improvement on the little things. He is really working hard to step up their recruitment, so that is what I am watching now. I think they could improve a lot with another great recruiting class."

DECISION: "I want to go where I feel like part of the family. I want to be comfortable and I just want to fit in."

RIVALS REACTION

It is not an official top list of schools, but Gilbert said Clemson, Georgia, Oklahoma and Tennessee are up there on his list right now. Other schools he mentioned as ones he could still look at were LSU, Penn State and Texas A&M. He is not ruling out some official visits this spring, but nothing is scheduled right now. He said his next unofficial visit is likely to Georgia one of the next couple of weekends. He has already taken visits to Clemson and Tennessee in 2019. He really wants to make a decision over the summer, so each visit is crucial right now as schools battle for one of the true elite players in the 2020 class.

• Options
    ColumboColumbo Posts: 283 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

PWO commit video, new twist but I don’t mind it. Good for him and welcome aboard.

He is from Dawsonville, just like Awesome Bill from Dawsonville!

• Options
    ColumboColumbo Posts: 283 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Columbo said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

He is from Dawsonville, just like Awesome Bill from Dawsonville!

The offers from Navy and Air Force are impressive, very nice PWO addition.

• Options
    brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Brinson now gone. @SoFL_Dawg said that we would only take one of Brinson/Stackhouse. maybe we made that decision already. good luck to the guy, but we have bigger fish to fry.

• Options
    ThisDawgThisDawg Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Anybody know where Arik Gilbert is leaning? Starting to feel like he is the most important target for the 2020 class.

• Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ThisDawg said:
    Anybody know where Arik Gilbert is leaning? Starting to feel like he is the most important target for the 2020 class.

UGA................then Clemson, Creamsicles.

This discussion has been closed.