Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Braves Pitching

SouthGA_DawgSouthGA_Dawg Posts: 227 ✭✭✭ Junior

We have a deep crop of prospects, too many to give 25 starts to a season so with some more of those getting close to being ready for the pros, What should the braves do with these plethora of arms?

Comments

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wait it out, some of them will take the next step, some won't.

When the "young guns" came out and Glavine, Avery and Smoltz took over there were many other young arms in the organization that the Braves were just as high on. Pete Smith, Tommy Greene, Kent Mercker, Derek Lilliquist, Marty Clary and more. Honestly Avery was the most hyped of all of the prospects.

• Options
    MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Trade the RIGHT ones for a franchise catcher (like Realmuto), a stud CF with multiple years on his contract, or bring Kimbrel back and beef up the bullpen!

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just keep the talent in-house and watch the franchise grow by 5 wins a year.

• Options
    kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

The great thing is that the Braves have so many options right now. They don't have to move anyone, but I would consider seriously pursuing Kimbrel. Having a closer is a true need. If they allow the Phils to get him and improve their pen, it could be bad for the Braves this year. Mac will help our young guys develop and teach them how to pitch.

I think our rotation looks like this currently:

1. Folty
    2. Gausman
    3. Newcomb
    4. Julio
    5. Sorotka/Toussaint

We'll get nothing for Tehran. If both Sorotka and Toussaint work out, we could possibly move JT to the pen. If we could somehow get CK back, then we're in the NLCS.

Aside that, I like @Bigcalidawg's and @TNDawg71 take on being patient.

EDIT: Does anyone believe that the Braves have an insider's shot at getting our southern boy back down south? I'm not as familiar w/ his agent as I am Boras, so I don't know if he's as ruthless as Boras is and what his influence is on Kimbrel. Thoughts?

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So much $$$ on a closer. I don’t see it

• Options
    edited February 2019

I would have agreed before the days of ridiculously low pitch counts and as Verducci has explained before, the stats about pitch counts don't necessarily prove that it protects the health of the starter. A surefire HOF shutdown closer like Kimbrel is worth it IMO - if the Braves want to win now. This piece is a little dated but still relevant.

"How is it possible that in 10 years all 30 teams agree on the same one-size-fits-all philosophy when it comes to pitching? How could Johnson, Garcia and Hernandez -- all of whom compiled prolific careers -- do in one day what the entire industry could not do in the subsequent decade? And how could every organization agree on the same philosophy while pitchers do not remain healthier and leads are not better protected under this bowing down to the pitch count? What does it say about advances in nutrition, biomechanics, medicine and other sciences that pitchers have become less productive?" -- The below article is good but is still not the one I'm searching for. Seems to have portalized into magical cornfield of lore.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s a pretty important role on the roster, especially in playoff situations where guys just mentally melt. Kimbrel could be the missing piece. The reat of the bullpen would be much stronger just having everyone else slide back a spot. Vizcaino as the primary setup guy would be very solid. I expect to see the Top 3 guys go 7 a lot this year. If Teheran can ever string together a season then the Braves could run away with the division. A lot depends on Gausman maintaining the fix he found after coming over from Baltimore.

This will be the 3rd straight year I am surprised to see Teheran still on the roster.

• Options
    corai3corai3 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Should've traded Julio a couple years ago. I do appreciate the years he put in, but it's time to move on.

• Options

I was and am a JT fan. When he's on he's great. Remember the four game sweep a few years back of the Cards. JT pitched the final Sunday game and I was there. He was magnificent. Maybe Mac can help him transition? Hope so.