Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Remaining Prospects for 2019 Recruiting Class

brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

5 star SF/PF Precious Achiuwa

4 star SG Lester Quinones

4 star CG Harlond Beverley

5 star C Walker Kessler (2020) (could reclassify)

former 4 star PG Tyson Jolly (JUCO- former Baylor player)

also interested who pops up on the grad transfer market. Georgia could be a few pieces away from a nationally competing team in 2020.

Comments

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Concerned about the one and done being eliminated...

• brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

either way Edwards will not be 18 before the NBA Draft, so he will be ineligible. he was a 2020 guy who reclassified to 2019 so he is a lot younger than most guys. Edwards will sign with Georgia in April and play in 2019.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Edwards will be one and done unless they change the age to 18 in which case he will go straight to the NBA.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The current rule is that to be eligible for the NBA Draft a player must be 19 years old DURING THE CALENDAR YEAR OF THE DRAFT. It also says that those who qualify at a US HS have to be 1 year removed from the graduation of his HS class.

Edwards will therefore be eligible for the 2020 draft even though he will only be 18 at the time of the draft as he will attain 19 during 2020.

Copy of post referred to. If the rule is changed to 18 AND the player does not have to be 1 year removed from HS then he would be eligible for the 2019 draft. If the age only is changed (unlikely) then he would not be eligible due to the 1 year removed rule.

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The 1 and done ABSOLUTELY SHOULD b eliminated. Why should an 18 year old kid b. compelled, not forced, but compelled to go to College for 1 year before turning pro where no such rule applies to Tennis, Golf or other sports. Seems like the NCAA is particularly interested in exploiting athletes in REVENUE generating sports for obvious reasons.

i don’t think the rule would come into effect until the 2020 draft if it even does come into effect. I’m 99.9% sure Edwards will play the 2019 season a UGA.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

The NBA makes the rules. The NCAA and the supposed greed you mention is unrelated to eligibility.

Why should the player be compelled to go to college for 1 year? That’s not currently the situation, there just arent many other options other than overseas, but if the kid can land a contract then he is free to skip college. The narrow focus on the athlete’s rights ignores the rights of the League to protect itself. Lots of industries require some type of apprenticeship period prior to entry as a licensed professional. I view it as an effort by the NBA to protect the quality of it’s product and lower the risk of the owner’s monetary investment in their draft picks. I see both sides but this should be a decision and a right reserved for the NBA to make. That’s why the NBA should be free to make its own reatrictions.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Back to the OP,

Quinones in badly needed. The team needs ball handlers outside of Edwards.

How does the decision on Kessler re-classifying get made? I am basically assuming he would come.

not a guarantee. Duke is in it as well but not sure how their class numbers would work for him to come in 2019.

• lightspeednatelightspeednate Posts: 26 ✭ Freshman

It's hard to get a good PG straight out of recruitment if they're not a top 50 player. I'd try to get Jolly as a juco transfer. Dude is putting up 22 pts, 12 boards, 4 assists a game. Not saying that it will translate a ton, but given his size/experience, you certainly have to consider it. I also watched both players highlights, Jolly is a physical specimen, and a full grown man. Quinones is just a kid.

Harlond Beverly is trending heavily to the Dawgs. 4 new CBs for him.

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • ThisDawgThisDawg Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

How many spots we do we have left?

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Toppin is transferring so one more than we previously had

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There's 3 spots but I don't think all 3 will be used.

Sahvir Wheeler is visiting. 5'8" 4 star PG that asked out of his LOI with Texas A&M. Still has them involved however. Making multiple visits so he's not going to be deciding anytime soon it seems. Would be a strong get but a step down from the possibility in Beverly from what it seems.

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Any update on precious?

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not deciding anytime soon if what I saw recently was correct, but Georgia is behind.