Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

My BIG questions entering the Spring

BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited March 2019 in Off Topic

I’m confident Kirby will have the team ready to play when the season begins so here are my biggest concerns entering the Spring, in no paericular order after the first one.

The turkey opener is Saturday and gobbling has been lackluster Will the forecasted clear skies for Saturday get them to hollering?

Have you ever wondered how the early settlers survived without a thermacell? The skeeters serve a vital purpose spreading disease to thin the herd, but what about those pesky gnats that constantly fly up your nose below the ‘gnat line’? None that I can reason.

Morrel mushrooms and ramps are (hopefully) getting ready to be found in the mtns After last year’s morrel crop was a near bust, Im hoping for an abundance and the discovery of a new (and private) patch of ramps Will the miles of hiking pay dividends?

Is this the year I walk up on a really big rattlesnake? I hope not but I look at the ground so much that I am constantly walking thru spiders. (Don’t like ole no shoulders)

I have a queen that is producing temperamental offspring and can’t wait to pinch her **** little head. Will things get warm enough here in Atlanta for my virgin queens to get properly mated over the next two weeks?

Ticks - I now worry more about tick-borne disease than snakes. The lonestar ticks in Meriwether Co are no joke. Am I the only person who worries every time I feel an itch between my legs that it might be a tick getting settled for dinner?

GO DAWGS!

Comments

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My response to your OP of "do April showers REALLY bring May flowers?"is not so absurd, then.

• Options
    CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ticks, turkeys, morels and football practice. Spring has most certainly sprung!

• Options
    JMFDJMFD Posts: 219 ✭✭✭ Junior

I want your dealers # stat

• Options
    edited March 2019

He was a technical advisor for "Alice in Wonderland". Also known to jump straight down a rabbit hole. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I know what he is talking about, it's real. So is a good bong hit.

• Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Be very careful of the lone star tick. It carries something that can make you allergic to meats. My husband got bit by one and is now highly allergic to beef and pork. Trust me replacing beef and pork with turkey just aint the same.

• Options
    MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    DCochranDCochran Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I live in Dallas (Georgia), about 25 miles northwest of Atlanta....and I killed a 3 and half foot Timber Rattlesnake a little while back about a 100 yards from my house. I'll be 50 in November and it's the first time EVER I have seen a rattlesnake out in the wild. If it hadn't of been right in the middle of the neighborhood and I wasn't afraid it would have bit someone jogging down the road, I would have tried to run it off or something.

I got it mounted, it's a beautiful snake. But deadly....according to my brother ( who is a wildlife biologist) it's actually more poisonous than a Diamondback. In fact, if you'll recall, the man that started the whole 'Snake-handling' church movement up in the Appalachians was killed by a Timber, about the same size as the one I killed. He got bit while 'handling' one in one of their services, and he died on the floor of that church about 15 minutes later.

• Options

I am a straight up carnivore so no red meat would be a deal breaker for me. I wasn't aware it could have the same effect with pork. I usually wear skin tight leggings and tops as a baselayer, and as mentioned, marinate my clothing in permethrin. The base layer also keeps me cooler since it wicks and then holds body moisture while it evaporates. The permethrin is highly effective, and seems to keep the skeeters out of my face, too.

Diamondbacks kill more people than timbers, but I think it has to do with the load of venom they are capable of injecting. I was invited on a hunt to Ossabow near Savannah one time. A quick search on the internet told me the place is home to all 6 venomous snake species found in Georgia - eastern diamondback, pigmy rattlesnake, timber rattler, cottonmouth, copperhead, and coral snakes all on the same island. No thank you!

• Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My youngest son is tormented by mosquitoes and we found that the Stress Relief lotions from Bath and Body Works will keep them away from him. I don't know if it would work on ticks or not.

I spent a week on Sapelo Island and I'm not sure what kind of rattle snakes they have but they do have them there. The only one I saw was when a resident killed one and was showing it to my kids. The beach was beautiful though.

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Rattlesnake anti-venom is probably the most expensive drug in a hospital. It was #1 last time I checked, but it has been a while since I last looked. Some of the newer chemo meds may be giving it a run for it's money now. But we are talking new car expensive.

• Options

I’ll remember that the next time my wife is rattling off the cost of this and that I “had to have” when she gets to my chippewa snake boots. She and her friends like to ridicule about how expensive it is to sit still in the woods.

• Options
    Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I heard it was $2k a vile and you usually need about 10-15 of them

• Options

That's because they have to ask the snakes for it. If the snake says no, somebody has to take it from them. They would have to give me some new car money to do that job. I don't mind snakes either.I have had several non-venomous ones.

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@RxDawg Actimmune is pretty expensive. 50k a month

• Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker - saw one rattler around my west Texas deer lease house all of last fall. Usually see more. Thought we were in good shape.

Started cleaning out under the house last Saturday and pulled out 69 rattlesnakes. After that thought it a good idea to clean out from under some of the other buildings. Got 25 more.

Had 3 other 14 year old boys at the place along with my son. All had long snake grabbers and were running around to catch them and put them in big trash cans.

I believe my son has three friends whose parents probably won't let them come to the deer lease any longer.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,041 mod

Yep! Usually $25K to $35k for treatment. But I've also heard/read that the majority of the people bitten, are ones who are trying to handle or kill the snake. More than likely they won't strike unless threaten.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

Up in the NC mountains, close to 30 years ago, I had a tick attach itself to the tip of my johnson. No joke. Didn't even know it was there until I was taking a shower after a day in the woods.

When my friend asked me how it got there, I said, "Don't know. I reckon he crawled up my ankle and attached to the first thing he saw." It wasn't fun but it was funny.