Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National Spinach Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Today is National Spinach Day. Long known as a provider of dietary iron, it is also full of other minerals and vitamins. As a child, I only ate it cooked but now enjoy it raw in salads. My aunt used to cook something she called "goop" which was spinach, eggs, onions and ground beef all cooked together.

For those with a sweet tooth, it is also National Nougat Day.

Still in the health arena, it's also National Epiliepsy Awareness Day.

Comments

• CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Growing up I literally only knew spinach as the weird can of stuff that Popeye ate. And then I tried it and my muscles didn't get gigantic and I felt lied to

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Spinach

Add Feta cheese and dill to your aunt's "goop", either with or without the ground beef, and you have a nice breakfast/anytime meal.

Had made this w/o spinach but for several years with:

1 cup rice

1 "brick" frozen fish (1 lb?, pollack, haddock, cod, etc.)

1 pkg frozen chopped spinach

~ 1/4 cup lemon juice

~ 1/2 to 1 tsp dill weed (dried dill)

salt & pepper to taste but add salt to rice per instructions

Cook rice normally (20 minutes). While rice is cooking, defrost fish and spinach. Break up/cut fish into fork size pieces. Gently warm up fish and spinach (optional)

When rice is done, add all ingredients in casserole or pot and gently stir and heat up. Check to see if a little water is needed. Can nuke, too. (Tip: add fish last to minimize further breakup of the fish pieces).

Serve. Nearly a one pot meal.

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I always hated spinach until I tried it in a salad. Now it's my go to green for salads and tortilla wraps. I also loved the nougat logs you got at Stuckey's. Now there aren't any Stuckey's around here and what you find in stores just aren't the same.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

FirePlugDawg

thanks for the tips. Will try them out.

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Like spinach and artichoke dip

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Before and after cooking spinach...

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That picture is funny @Teddy.

My mother never served spinach when I was a kid, but these days I make it all the time, exactly the way you've illustrated. I can take a whole bag of fresh spinach and toss it in a skillet with a touch of olive oil and salt. That stuff wilts and shrinks in a matter of seconds. (Just make sure you stir constantly- wooden spoon works best.) Tastes great and feels healthy

I like to pair it with an ear of corn, sliced tomatoes, and a good steak.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

You can do the same thing for kale or most any other greens. Might want to saute some garlic with green beans done that way. Can remove the garlic after flavoring the oil if too much for you. Add a little water. Cover the pan.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

Since nougat's not getting any love I'll offer an endorsement. I don't know exactly what it is, but it's good. If you're gonna eat a candy bar, you can do worse than a Snicker's, Milky Way, or Three Musketeers.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

Whether you eat spinach cooked or raw, add a little seasoned rice vinegar to it. Actually really good on all greens and especially sauteed green beans...