Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

My internet went down with TT up 3 in OT...what happened ?...

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited April 2019 in Basketball

Seriously, my internet did crash and didn't come back up till 15 seconds left in OT.

Great game. Thank you Virginia for putting me in the top 5% of ESPN's bracketology.😎…..and only 930K players ahead of me..😒

Comments

• CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am of the opinion that TTU got robbed down 2 with a couple minutes left. I don't care if the tip of your pinky technically touched the ball last; for 100 years if a defender knocks the ball out of your hand and you don't reach to try and get it, you keep the ball. Super ultra frame-by-frame slow-mo replay reared its **** head, in my opinion.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm a UVA fan so I'm not gonna let that dampen the joy of this moment, BUT... I had the exact same thought when it happened.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

CTDawg. wait, didn't TT get possession on that call ?

I don't think so guys, unless I'm thinking about a different play. The play I'm recalling it was called TT's ball, the replay looked like it might have touched the knuckles of the TT guy but it was inconclusive so the original call stood and TT got the ball.

Now there may have been another similar play, my internet outage threw my time frame off a bit.

Hey man, I'm happy for you guys. I honestly was cool with either team winning, I think Bennett is a high-class coach. For all the noise made about refs deciding the UVA-Auburn game, that was a perfect example of when refs should stay out of the final decision. Replay, in general, has given referees another reason to doubt their gut. Virginia did not earn that turnover, in my opinion.

CTDawg. Either there was 2 plays where TT got the call late in the second half, then a lengthy replay, or TT got possession, because I'm sure they retained possession of the play I recall.

Yeah, we're talking about a different call. It was off a steal and the Tech player drove up court (and was fouled by one Virginia player, if we really want to get ticky-tacky) and a second UVA defender batted the ball out towards the sideline. They ruled that it was last touched by TTU.

My thing on this is: would that have been called in the history of basketball at any level if you didn't analyze frame by frame? Of course not. A defender smacks the ball out of bounds, they don't get the ball. It's along the lines of my theory on replay for stealing bases in baseball. I believe that if you steal and hold the bag for 99.99% of your slide without going past the bag, but you can see an eyelash of space between the runner and the base, you should be safe. We need to go and review Rickey Henderson's steals record if we're playing that game.

AnotherDawg. Could you give me a brief description to help jar my memory ?

Even if there was a second play that went TT's way, the one I recall probably went off 2 knuckles of the TT player but TT got the ball because the replay wasn't conclusive enough to overturn the original call, which I agree with.

I don't think either Auburn or TT got robbed.

Virginia played a fantastic game and they earned that win, hands down. It's really kind of amazing that they could get beat by a 16 seed and then go down a dozen points against a 16 seed the next year, but rally back for the championship. They're a great team with a lot of great players and they had a hell of a tourney

Yeah I remember what you're talking about. The ball probably went off the Tech big man, but it was hard to overturn the call.

edited April 2019

Look I really don't know about the play you guys alluded to, hopefully I'll see a review later and I'll give you my honest opinion.

That said, the Auburn player fouled big time. He was moving forward and pushed the shooter back a good 2 feet. That is an easy call in my book. It affected the shot as much as if he'd slapped him across the shooting arm.

If you've played much basketball you've probably faced a clever defender who would just push you in the back when you drove to the basket. It could be so subtle it wouldn't be seen most of the time. It would usually throw my shot off just enough to miss though. The Tech guy pushed Guy back just a split second before he released the ball, it would have been a near miracle if it'd gone in.

I agree with you 100% friend. Defender made contact before the ball was released and didn’t give Guy room to come down. Everybody is lucky Guy didn’t get injured on the play because that type of situation can get you pretty badly hurt. The guys I hate the most playing pickup are the ones that hold your shirt just enough to mess with you while you try to get clear