Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

National Rescue Dog Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There are so many dogs that could use a good home. Consider getting a rescue dog. Other ways to celebrate this day include:

• Volunteer at your local shelter. Taking dogs for walks, grooming and giving them plenty of affection improves their socialization.
  • Shelters always need donations. Financial donations are always welcome. Most shelters have a list of constant needs, such as blankets, bleach, toys, treats, and leashes.
  • If there is room in your life for a rescue dog, consider adoption and giving one a forever home.
  • Consider fostering. Many dogs abandoned to shelters require some medical care or rehabilitation in a home setting before an adoption can take place.
  • Remember to spay and neuter your pets. Overpopulation is the number one reason shelters exist.

Comments

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Might be my favorite one yet Don!

My wife and I volunteer at a local rescue organization on the weekends, and it's just heartwarming when people come by and find their new best friend. We each get attached to one animal or another and it's great to see them get adopted. Luckily we're in a fairly popular shopping area so even if people don't come looking to adopt the dogs have somebody to play with. We got our second dog, Barkley, from the rescue.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2019

A couple of years ago, I got a Japanese Shiba Inu from rescue. Never owned a Japanese breed before and didn't know what to expect. Turned out to be one of the best dogs I've ever had, and definitely one of the smartest. He once pulled out a dresser drawer to get to a candy bar my wife had put on a shelf, ironically to keep out of his reach. Because he is a 'primitive dog', he's kind of aloof towards people and to little kids, especially. Not mean to them....just avoids them. His personality is more like a cat than a dog. Very independent. Because of that, people who don't know the breed tend to get rid of them because they want a dog that's gonna be all cuddly...and the Shiba Inu isn't that type of dog. In fact, they will often unleash a very loud 'scream' when they feel that are being handled in an unacceptable manner.