Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Billionaire Robert F. Smith is paying off the student loans of every 2019 Morehouse grad..

Comments

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey

If I hurt your feelings by questioning your Mod status and your lame threat, I apologize. Was not my intention. Don't cry....

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2019

And why exactly is it okay to take from someone else in order to "fix" the mistake/lack of responsibility of others? Right now they might be saying to only take from the wealthy elite, but before long that plan will trickle down to those with less money. Rinse and repeat. It has happened in the past. Quit falling for progressive lies.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2019

Bank, I'm sure you find plenty of common enemies to rant about at alt right fake news sites.

• RedBlackDawgRedBlackDawg Posts: 354 ✭✭✭ Junior

Here is the "relevance" you seek. (first of all, I've already stated that this was a generous act by the donor and it is HIS prerogative to give/spend HIS money as HE sees fit. I just would have done it differently, perhaps in a more targeted way like means testing the gift, and personally I would do it anonymously):

As I stated previously in this thread, what if a student took out $150K loan cavalierly to get a degree in Pygmian studies where employment opportunities may be poor (not to mention that he will have to come up with $50K in taxes by next April 15...yet another life lesson, where nothing is truly "free". And yet there was another student who was supposed to graduate in May 2019, but took a semester or two off to save for tuition who will get nothing. What life lessons to be learned by both of these hypothetical students? The kid who skipped a semester and worked is arse off will do fine, the Pygmian studies kid will likely join another long line of grad students working at Starbucks complaining that he can't get a job (but at least he won't have the $150K student loan debt, but had to take out a personal loan for the $50K in taxes he owes for his "free" college)

There is some truth to the old saying, "No good deed goes unpunished..."

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

I’m sorry, I can’t hear you over the noises my mouth is making from all these hot pockets I’m eating

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kasey. You might be leaving your hot pockets in the microwave too long and making them dry. A dry hot pocket is crunchy and noisy. They can also scratch the roof of the mouth which I find quite painful. This comes from somebody with 16 years of liberal arts education.

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I totally understand what your saying, but it doesn't negate the fact that the statement that was given was a lie. Hypothetically, I had a policy before ACA. Whether it was a "crap" policy or not is irrelevant. As you stated in your rebuttal, insurers dropped numerous policies because of the ACA. Then, because of ACA, they came out with new policies that in most cases were much more than the previously so called "crap" policies. Policies that a lot of people could no afford. Or as in my sister's case. Her previous insurer no longer provide insurance in the state she lived in. Therefore she had to get a different carrier, at a higher rate, that her kids' pediatrician did not take. Ergo, she did not get to keep the "kids'" doctor. I doubt she was the only one in the US that encountered this problem.

Obama should not have said that. It was an oversimplification of a complex problem.

edited May 2019

I was about to make a bipartisan joke here but political humor isn’t not allowed. Just electroshocked myself

At least you can post without denigrating everyone who disagrees with you.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hehehe, I kind of love that we have mods that get in trouble with other mods. I approve!

• UGA_2019UGA_2019 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

This is an excellent example of the "slippery slope" logical fallacy.

"A slippery slope argument (SSA), in logic, critical thinking, political rhetoric, and caselaw, is a consequentialist logical fallacy in which a party asserts that a relatively small first step leads to a chain of related events culminating in some significant (usually negative) effect."

I'm much more concerned with discussing facts, not baseless rhetoric. Let me know if you decide you're able to do that without also attacking the people that are simply attempting to have civil discourse.

@bamadawg21 You are correct about Obamacare. But you've got to work on your delivery. Remember the goal is to convince and persuade the people to see just how damaging a lot of these government "improvements" can be. If you lash out from the get go people will just shut down. Now some won't listen no matter what, but many will because the proof is out there for those that look.

Now back to the topic at hand, yes it's great for some of these kids in this specific story. But others have pointed out how it might not be so great for all of them. I think the removal of any consequences from society comes with it's own set of consequences. Does that mean we should help no one? No, that is not what I'm saying. But sometimes you have to let a kid get some bumps and bruises so he can learn how not to.

Well, normally I be dunking on these nerds 24/7/365 but I got waterboarded today by another poster...just pwned me like I haven't been pwned since 2003. That's why I've been so much nicer today

On the real (for real)...

He was right. I thought my joke about a certain political figure was too good to pass up in this thread considering the subject matter. I should've saved it for twitter. Sometimes I take too much pleasure in being a rabble-rouser especially with people I'd happily buy a beer for watching a certain college football game.

• UGA_2019UGA_2019 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

@RedBlackDawg That's an interesting argument. I don't believe it would be realistic for the federal government to give out $150,000 in federal student loans to a single person for an undergraduate degree but that's speaking from my personal experience. If I remember correctly, the most I could have possibly taken in a year was around $10,000-$15,000. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a person has an exorbitant amount of student loan debt, its very likely the case that some of those are private loans from a bank which would not be forgiven under the student loan forgiveness plan I mentioned earlier. Another possible case could be if the individual went to medical/law school, which usually means they'll have the means to pay it back.

To address some of your later points, I don't see where this whole "$50k in taxes" thing is coming from. If you're saying that's how much it would cost each taxpayer to make all public education free, then we're on two different pages entirely. The plan I mentioned earlier is about cancellation of the majority of student loan debt, not making public college education free. That's a different topic altogether.

I'm no financial manager or anything, but I know they have student loans set up differently than regular loans. In short, they're much easier to obtain and if you miss payments they can balloon into outrageous amounts. A 200k debt can quickly turn into a 600k debt. I have seen a lot of stories about medical students specifically because they can easily rack up ~ 200k debt in school. And they can't always keep up with the payments right away. Next thing they know they're in a financial trap they never dreamed of being in. It sounds very much like the "everyone gets a loan" rules that got us into the housing crisis. Now this is a part of the loans I could get behind in having the govt regulate the predators. My own personal bill is ~ $300 bucks per month. Now this is reasonable. But if for whatever reason I miss a payment I believe some nasty charges start coming my way. This is the other side I don't like.