Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

First game day in Athens

bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited September 2017 in Off Topic

So I've been a long time bulldogs fan and this is mine and my wife's first trip to Athens for a game other than G-Day. Any advice on parking, tailgating, etc. Also if any like minded people would want to allow us to tailgate with them that'd be awesome and we'd definitely bring food utensils beverages etc. Can't wait for Saturday GO DAWGS

Comments

• Options
    SavageDawg17SavageDawg17 Posts: 1,535 mod
    edited September 2017

@bigdawg2223 said:
    So I've been a long time bulldogs fan and this is mine and my wife's first trip to Athens for a game other than G-Day. Any advice on parking, tailgating, etc. Also if any like minded people would want to allow us to tailgate with them that'd be awesome and we'd definitely bring food utensils beverages etc. Can't wait for Saturday GO DAWGS

Nice, welcome back to Athens!

I went up last week. I HIGHLY recommend getting there as early as you can, preferably before 3pm or so to beat the crowds.

I parked in the Carlton St deck for $20 cash but it's next to the Steg so a pretty good walk to the stadium. Can also park downtown and walk thru North Campus..

If you guys like to see the players I would highly recommend the DawgWalk (starts at 4:45), again plan on getting there 30 mins to an hour early.

Have fun, Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Definately get there 3 or so hours early. We always park along Lumpkin St. Walk in isn't bad, walk out is up hill. You have to see the Dawg walk, very cool. Would definately invite you to tailgate, but we will be out of town. Enjoy the trip.

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We typically come in off exit 7, turn left off exits and turn right at the light into the different parking lots (free). Short walk to the buses that run non-stop.
    They take you to the east side of the stadium.

Dawg walk on the west side.

Parking decks next to stegman are great and if you don't mind a short walk grind house has great burgers and shakes (plus football games will be playing).

Enjoy it! It should be rocking! My wife is going to her second with me Saturday.

• Options
    KingoftheSouthKingoftheSouth Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If you like beer, I would suggest hitting up one of Athens' 3 breweries. Creature Comforts has quickly become one of the most highly sought after breweries in the US. Terrapin allowed me to expand my love for beer in college (but then sold out) and upstart Southern Brewing apparently has a good thing going but have yet to try them.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@KingoftheSouth said:
    If you like beer, I would suggest hitting up one of Athens' 3 breweries. Creature Comforts has quickly become one of the most highly sought after breweries in the US. Terrapin allowed me to expand my love for beer in college (but then sold out) and upstart Southern Brewing apparently has a good thing going but have yet to try them.

Love for beer in college? We used to go to the pub after our HS soccer games (UK law is 18 to drink). :D BTW That was in the 60's :(

• Options
    bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks for all the info guys! Got a good parking spot downtown walked around for a bit and noe soaking up some A/c in the Tate center before Dawg walk.