Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

So $250,000 buys you the privilege of paying too much for a beer at Sanford....

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Only donors who have given at least 250K are guaranteed access to the beer garden. Sorry but this is ridiculous vanity. Hell, I'll give the suckers a six pack and throw in a big sack of beer nuts for half that price.

Comments

• CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When I heard that number I almost laughed. I love Georgia, but if I was making so much money that I could just burn 250K a year, I would have to be doing pretty well. Good Lord.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That is some serious alcoholism right there to pay that much in order to have access to bad stadium beer for 3 hours a couple times a year.

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Donations are used as tax write offs.

I have a friend whos uncle owns a few honky tonks here in Nashville and makes sizable donations to Tenn just for tax purposes (needs to shed some money).

Its alot of money for sure but making sure the tax portion is mentioned here.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

CZ. Write offs are usually just a percentage of the donation. In some elite cases like Liberty actually making more on tax credits from the Braves purchase than the price of the team it can be a money maker, but not usually. The real slick Willies will donate non-cash items and inflate their paper value so the actual tax savings exceeds the actual value of the ''gift''. You can't inflate the value of cash though. They inflate the paper value of gift items and deflate the paper value of what they hold onto.

• dgd829dgd829 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Have to think this will get revised to where all club will have access (instead of just 250K TOTAL not yearly)

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well the upper echelon of donors can have at it. We bought a couple of tickets for a game a few years back and they were in the club level section. It was by far the most miserable experience I've ever had inside Sanford Stadium. My husband and I get into going to ballgames and we yell and cheer and have a really good time along with most of the yelling and cheering fans. It that section, they looked at us like we were aliens when we starting yelling or they were looking down on us for such crass behavior that was so far beneath them. I didn't stay in the section too long before I was moving to find my kind of people. The yelling and cheering kind.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm going to go out on a limb and say those donating 250k are doing this to help their school, not get a beer at home games. Also, makes sense that those that donate the most get more perks (or at least first dibs if they want them).

Its also a way of being able to offer beer at games, with out actually having to offer beer at games

Pretty much, I'm sure the administration is going to keep an eye out on teams like LSU (and others) that completely open up alcohol sales, and see if it helps/hurts the fan experience and goes from there.

I am STRICTLY opposed to opening this up to the entire stadium, and I feel confident that it will NEVER open up to full stadium. No Upper deck sales ever. They will have to figure out a way to open it up to big donors that sit in lower level with out opening it up to everyone. Wristbands will get copied and become obsolete.

I personally think it's just a matter of time before it's open to the entire stadium. Wristbands will change, as they do at all other sporting events.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

I was in school in Athens in the late 80s. People used to throw cups from the upper deck when we scored. It stopped because it was obviously a bad tradition. I had a good friend get hit by a bottle in 84 or 85. Alcohol is fine out of the stadium, but it won’t kill people to wait three hours to drink. If we do sell it, fine, but fix the long lines and bathrooms first, because these will get worse. I’m OK with letting LSU or some other schools test the waters first, then we will see.

• TuckyDawgTuckyDawg Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Completely agree on fixing the long bathroom lines. They will get a lot longer if they start selling beer in the stadium.

Teddy. Never discount ego with big donors.

• Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

You realize they aren’t selling glass beer bottles right? It will be solo style cups. Youre more likely to get smacked by a 20oz Coke bottle than an alcoholic beverage bottle.

Also, the crazy drunks people are worried about sneak booze in already. You got to be pretty blind to have never noticed the flasks everywhere.

Raiderbeater. Have you ever been to a late afternoon or night NFL game ? Drinking at Sanford is nothing compared to what I've witnessed at Falcons and Broncos games. Mile High is drunken **** central late in games. I'd hate to see our home games turn into something like that.

Sure some have egos, and some don't. Just like everyone else that isn't a millionaire donor.

• Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Like LSU? I’ve been to Falcons games a-plenty and it’s nothing compared to what I’ve seen at college games. It’s the exact opposite in my opinion and I attend a lot of both pro and Dawgs games.

You could let a baby sleep at most Atl games.

• JoeClarkJoeClark Posts: 427 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think they should open it up to one everyone but monitor the amount you can buy. Maybe 2-3 beers.

If UGA Athletics made an app that fans can download and verify they’re age and all of that it could be be a win win for them. Pushing out constant content and more fan engagement while keeping beer sales down.

Heck might even charge a few bucks for behind the scenes content