Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

So $250,000 buys you the privilege of paying too much for a beer at Sanford....

2»

Comments

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

An infamous event. I know of the guy who threw it, assuming it was the same handle of bourbon. A member of my fraternity.

• Options
    LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That’s because the Falcons themselves are asleep for large portions of their own games.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Teddy. I think the average big donor has a huge ego. That seems especially true for those who donate to sports, as opposed to those who give to the educational sectors of the school.

• Options

JoeClark. I don't see limiting sales as workable except to stop selling at halftime. How would you determine how many beers any particular person has bought ?

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

You "think" being the keyword there, as you sure are painting with a very broad brush on donors. How do you know they're not giving to both? And why does donating just to sports make them self-centered? Just because you "think" they should spend it a certain way doesn't make you right.

• Options
  • Options

Teddy. So you don't see sports as being a self interest vs education for others ? If that's your perspective I'll leave it at that.

• Options
    edited June 2019

Providing better equipment/facilities, training, support staff (which includes educational purposes), S&C, treatment, etc. to players (many who come from not so great backgrounds) isn't doing some good for these kids?

Also, I try not to get into the business of telling people how to spend their money (takes someone with a big ego to do that), as it isn't mine. Also, still haven't seen the percentage of big time donors that do not also donate to education... I'll wait.

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

Didn’t suggest bottles would be sold. My point was only that behaviors are bad enough as it is because of the drinking at tailgates and flasks. Not everyone isn’t sipping one cocktail and stopping. More alcohol will turn our crowd in to an NFL crowd which isn’t as family friendly. Look, as college student at UGA, my dates were great dates and taped the baggies with bourbon to their thighs. I know drinking happens anyway. I’m just saying let’s see how it goes at the other schools first before we jump in the deep end.

• Options

I don't see this changing much for the college kids, not many college kids can afford $10 beer, so they'll still be sneaking it in per usual. Maybe they'll have one or two pricey beer, but most won't be able to down them like it's $1 beer night.

• Options
    edited June 2019

Anybody born after the 1800s jump in please. I'm a child of the Napoleonic era...welllll, it seems that way sometimes. My question is, do college students use camelback backpack water bladders to smuggle adult beverages into Sanford ? If they don't I worry about their creative iniciative. It's a good idea if I do say so myself. I mean good in a wild heathen sort of way.

• Options

Come on Teddy. CFB brings in massive amounts of cash without donors. UGA could afford everything players need AND pay them for their labor and still turn a profit.

• Options

Whatever makes you feel better about telling people where to spend their money. And not knowing who has/hasn’t donated to the educational side as well. And assuming most of them have big egos... that’s a lot of assuming

• Options
    law_dawg35law_dawg35 Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let im have it. I dont go to Georgia games to drink beer. I can do that at home alot cheaper.

• Options
    NomadDawgNomadDawg Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Living in Denver, I get to pop around to the wild west of alcohol policy stadiums. The University of Colorado has an interesting approach, they have a designated drinking area where you can't see the field. There are tvs, but no one pays stadium prices to watch a game on tv....unless you're at Coors Field. So unless you're planning on missing the game, the lines and prices prevent even the diehard chuggers from getting unreasonably drunk. Plus the security and staff in the drinking area keep watch to make sure no one is unruly in the area. Beer garden/drinking areas might not be a permanent solution, but could be used as a transition approach for the bigger stadiums.

• Options

Nomad. If you've never been in Mile High in the second half of a big game you've missed The Bloods, Crips, Brown Shirts, Anarchist and Evangelicals all rolled into an inebriated mass of ill tempered humanity.

• Options
    NomadDawgNomadDawg Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I moved out here in 2015 and prices were through the roof (they ended up winning the Super Bowl), but I've never been a huge NFL fan and couldn't justify throwing that kind of money at a team I didn't care about. I've been to a preseason game and was impressed at how much they cared (had people around me yelling when I was 10 minutes late to the game). However, I have enjoyed the front range college teams since I moved out here. Been to Air Force vs Navy, two blizzard games (Wyoming vs CSU 2017 and CSU vs Utah St 2018), and CU vs Wash St 2016. I've been impressed with the relaxed atmosphere, everyone cares about the game, but not to the point of getting in fights over it. Having lived in SEC, ACC, Pac12, and Big10 areas (and gone to a number of games across different campuses), I've seen a pretty wide range. Can't beat the SEC for diehard fans, but with the good you get a lot of bad as well. It will definitely be interesting, to say the least, to see how alcohol policy rollout at places like LSU will play out.

• Options

Nomad. I lived on The Western Slope in the late 90s and into 2001. I lived a few miles from The Air Force Academy from 2011 through 2013. I regret I never caught a Falcons game, the Air Force Falcons that is.