Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Brandon Adams wears a wrist watch which says something specific about him.

JamesTwitJamesTwit Posts: 422 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Brandon Adams. Renaissance man. He can read a clock. Well duuuhhh. Sounds simple but as I watched his broadcast today from Calloway Gardens or where ever it is he is spending all our free Kroger food cards on massages and mani/pedis and water rides for his kids and etc I noticed his wrist watch. Few people wear them any more. Why? I was working part time at a local private pool for four or five years up until a couple of years ago. I signed members in and out. They had to write down the time and they always asked me what time it was. I'd point to a clock in plain sight above their heads. I began to notice how people in about their mid 20's and younger looked confused and how their eyes would glaze over as they stared at the clock. The did not know how to tell time on a real clock! I'd have to tell them if they didn't have their smart phones handy. Think about it. Everything they see now is digital including the time on phones, computers, everywhere. So they never have to read a clock. I asked on Facebook some teachers I know about this. Clock reading is still taught in school in like first grade. After that the kids never use it again. Most schools removed the clocks from classrooms a long time ago to keep kids from clock watching waiting on the bell. Anyway, just an interesting (eehh) factoid I learned.

Comments

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

Live my the ole watch. Each morning before walking out the door... wallet, knife, gun, watch, and keys in pocket

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

I still wear my Seiko Dive Watch...feel naked without it.

Same one Redford wears in that movie where it's just him stranded on a boat

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Who needs a calculator when I have my dad's slide rule?

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have a thing for watches, cheap or expensive and same for sunglasses.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019
  • scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Feel free to mock but I wear an Apple watch. To be fair it was Dr. recommended as I've had some health issues over the last year plus but I'll admit I like it.

I agree in general about watches though. I have a nice Swiss one given to me by my dad for my HS graduation that I love and if I had a lot of disposable money to throw around I'd probably have more. I'm partial to a stainless diver's for everyday wear but I'd love to have some nicer leather band ones as well.

I think Redford was in some arty movie not long ago where he was on a boat or raft in the middle of the ocean.

• bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

i thought you were going to tell me he wore a Mickey Mouse watch or something.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

BA wears a watch because he continually needs to know what time it is, how much time he has used, how much time he has left.

I don't get the folks who wear silly Apple watches. Fragile with very limited useful functionality. I have a Suunto, which also has many of the useless functions of an apple watch, but I use it for sunrise and sunset times, barometric pressure, the compass, and as a backup gps - and also to know the current time. Those first items are helpful during hunting season.

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I went to lunch with a couple of co-workers yesterday and we pestered one of the girls, actually we told her how rude she was being, to put her blasted phone down. So she put it down and we proceeded to have a nice lunch until her watch dinged with an incoming text. I could have slapped her.

• CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

THAT would have been the adult thing to do. It is our job to teach proper adulting.

edited June 2019

LOL, of course my personal troll can't keep himself from showing his colors with the "silly" jab. Surprised he was able to hold back from showing his disdain for BA as well. I can't decide if it would be fun or frustrating to actually think that despite ALL evidence to the contrary you are smarter than everyone else and always right. Probably explains why he lashes out so much.

I personally am not a big fan of the form factor of the Apple Watch but it's no more fragile than any watch not designed for specific outdoor use. It's water resist to the standard 50m and can track swims. Oh, and I doubt that a certain person's huntin watch that "keeps track of time and sunrise and is all any real man should need" has an EKG/heartrate monitor/pedometer/workout tracker(of course those are for pansies) built in. As I said my Dr. actually recommended it as the EKG/heartrate stuff can be tracked. I bought one for my 70yo mom because she lives alone and it has a fall detection feature in addition to an easy way built in to call 911 and automatically contact emergency contacts.

Oh. and as much as I'm addicted to texting because of course I'm a feckless generational, the watch is just a mirror of your phone...ie..if you get a text it will show up on your watch but you can only reply by choosing a pretyped reply provided or using Siri(which most don't use) to voice dictate. It's more for if you need to check a received text but can't look at your phone: say if you're in a meeting, at dinner, or even in your car with all the hands free laws. Could certainly be used by chatty people addicted to texting. OR could be(and often is) used by professionals.

Anyway, y'all can feel free to get back on the mocking bandwagon. I personally wouldn't have thought I'd own one lol. Just thought I'd share that MAYBE it's a bit more useful than as a texting platform or world clock. Making fun of something is more fun when vague generalizations are taken out. 😉

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

I walked away from the corporate world back in 2003. When I did, I took off my watch and hung up all my ties. I have no clue whatever happened to my watch and haven't missed it at all. As far as my ties go, maybe have worn one 10 times since...

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The sad thing is she's just a few years younger than me. After you've been told you are being rude and asked to put your phone down, you shouldn't read a text that comes through your watch. You shouldn't have to be told that is rude as well.

@ghostofuga1 I must work in one of the strangest corporate offices on earth. They let us wear jeans and tennis shoes or sandals every day. Their motto is if we are comfortable we will work better. Needless to say we were all surprised when they said that. We are now a European company so that might have a lot to do with it.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod
    edited June 2019

And the way it should be @DvilleDawg . I worked for a "Big 5" accounting firm back then and they did start allowing "Casual Friday" which meant we lose the tie and wear khakis and nice dress shirts....

I'd agree that she was being rude. I think people who text/Facebook/whatever at a meal or when in a social situation are rather horrid. My point is that she should have muted her phone which would have muted the watch. In that case she would have been no different than presumably everyone else at the table with a muted phone in pocket/purse.

That she didn't mute her phone and chose to look at a text whether on her phone or watch makes her narcissistic, not that she got an alert on her watch. If you were at lunch with a Dr on call would you rather they glanced at their watch or kept pulling out their phone?

Rude people are rude. I'd argue that if someone is so full of themselves that they can't go five mins w/o checking a personal text, the smartwatch is at least keeping the most likely massive and gaudily cased phone out of sight and off table.