Home The G.O.A.T.s: Forum Thread Hall of Fame
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Next To Commit To The G 2020

Comments

• Options
    jusdowelljusdowell Posts: 148 ✭✭✭ Junior

why would we add S to this class when we’re losing 5 CBs next cycle, why not jus add that 3rd CB or jus keep two and go DB heavy like we did in 2018. Plus I still think some of those 2018 DBs like speed, Poole, Bishop, and Webb still have something to say. On top of that we have a chance to pull the 5 6’5 safety for next cycle and David Daniel out of Woodstock, then to add on to that we could pull three CBs who are the no1 players in their state as of right now in AL, VA, and MO and then there are two high ranked 4* at the same school in Florida. The list goes on but I guess this is the back plan to the back up plan lol

• Options
    ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@jusdowell Webb has supposedly looked phenomenal this spring. But a Safety will be needed. If LeCounte leaves a guy who may have to step in. If LeCounte stays a guy whom can learn forna year and continue a CFP level team without too much lag.

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Cine/reese just to name a few.

we have about 4 or 5 top notch safety’s from my memories.

• Options
    UgaXforPresidentUgaXforPresident Posts: 275 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So I think we all agree that the 85 scholarship limit applies at all times, so blue shirts, red shirts, black shirts, pink shirts, and camo shirts are irrelevant to that number. Thus, blue shirts are only relevant for the 25/yr limit. If that is the case, I thought grad transfers (or any D1 transfers for that matter) did not count as part of that limit. I believe it was something about the 25 only applying to students who are signing their first NLOI. Since Cager and Wolf were previously recruited and signed elsewhere, the limit would not apply to them.

To your more broad point, I do agree with your interpretation that someone could play in 2019 and not be counted until the 2020 class. In this case, Zirkel may be able to blue shirt, play in 2020, and not be counted until 2021.

Source: https://www.athleticscholarships.net/2012/07/25/schools-flexible-scholarship-limits-athletes-aid.htm

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Cine is the only player that came out of HS as a safety (excluding Richie and J R). Reese was an OLB who we are converting to Safety. I am sure we would use a CB as a safety and have been grooming some to play that role, just not sure who is up to being the leader of the secondary which is what the safeties are. Playing safety is very different to CB.

• Options
    CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UgaXforPresident (cannot quote) You said, "someone could play in 2019...." Neither your link nor that of @Denmen185 say the blue shirt can PLAY. Doesn't make sense to me that a blue shirt could play in 2019 but count toward 2020 for scholarship 25 limit. What would make sense is that the blue shirt is on scholly beginning 2019, and can PRACTICE in 2019, but not PLAY. Just a guess as to how it works, WEiRd neither link makes that clear (I could have missed it.)

Apologies in advance if I mucked this up. The harm is done - maybe.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019

A scholarship player signed out of high school counts as an initial. So does a junior college transfer. And so do transfers from four-year schools—be they undergraduates or graduate students. The Group of Five school our Power 5 staffer contacted had bad news: We’re full up.

All count against the 25 if it is their first scholarship at that college. The exception is a WO who has been at that school for 2 full years (see Blankenship and why he had to wait until the ND game to go on scholarship)

BTW That's also why we shouldn't replace Holloman with a Grad Transfer even if available.

• Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Another name not mentioned recently to know as DL Target. FYI Tim Smith is officially off the board as he went public last night.

• Options
    NCDawg4NCDawg4 Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Is he being recruited by other schools as DL, since he is listed as OT?

• Options
    Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Really like this kids film. Moves extremely well for a junior @ 300lbs. I like his work at OT as well. He's a baller.

• Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah tape was good. The real question that we don’t know the answer to is how staff views the order of Burroughs, Stackhouse, Cowan, Thomas, Walker. The first two staff obviously likes/liked a lot. Burroughs fills a need, but...Stackhouse has been everywhere but UGA but staff really likes him. Cowan gained weight and hasn’t looked like the same player since moving from DE to DT. Walker is a project with upside. Thomas is a newer name that we don’t have much info on.

This is why it’s so variable and no one can say for sure what’s going on or what’s going to happen.

This is an opinion but if we could get the right 4 (Carter, Burch, Dexter, Brinson or one of those mentioned this morning), I’d be comfy with just 4. Maybe then take BPA with less question marks at another position. JMO.

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

IF the class includes Burch then I’d consider it pretty great even w/o Dexter. If not then missing on some of the other guys may sting a little IMO.

I watched the Arian Smith tape and yes please. Liked that he’s obviously a football player and not just a speed guy. Maybe the guys in those small schools are all tiny but he looked a little bigger than I expected from his measurements.

Also, isn’t Lakeland supposed to be a Gator area/school? Always a bonus.

This discussion has been closed.