Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Fried Pickles And More Fried Foods The Aliens Put Into Our Minds

First off, we all know that frying food in oil, lard and fat has been around for centuries. Here in the U.S. it seems to be more recognized as a Southern culture style of cooking. I love it, but it's surely not an everyday eating habit of mine for various reasons. Surely not the diet my grandparents had.

With that said, who planted these seeds to try and fry almost anything and everything? Pretty sure it was Aliens trying to end the human race via cholesterol. Joking aside, what is some of your "strangest" fried foods that you actually tried and liked? Also just some of your selections that you enjoy all the time.

I really like fried pickles if they are done right. and nay to the fast food versions.

The same with fried green tomatoes and fried okra.

Fried fish is a yes and sometimes fried clams, oysters and calamari.

I've had fried rattlesnake and gator tail. Very similar in taste, but the rattlesnake is a lot more chewy.

Now I'm getting hungry and need to go find something to fry so I can think of some more things to post...

Comments

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019

French fries are probably the one fried thing it'd be hard for me to totally cut out. So many fried things IMO are things that aren't particularly good made more so with batter/breading. Like I'm sure fried okra is probably the best way to eat that slimy, possibly alien introduced plant: OR I could just not eat okra as I'm not living 200 years ago where I might need to not to starve.

That being said, for just a simple prep with no sauces, I'm not sure that chicken or many types of seafood can be cooked any other way.

I agree with you on the BS stereotype about southerners/Americans in general being overly into fried stuff. Every part of the country has fried staples: doughnuts are probably a more northern adoption of an old Euro idea as an example. And almost every culture has long tradition of frying things as you said. IDK, if it's some kind of snobbery or the health expert but it gets old.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fried okra is delightful, but the advantage of okra in tomato sauce (tart it up as you please) is that it spares the wear and tear on the teeth going down. Just gulp and gone. Gulp and gone.

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Salmon patties have to be fried. They are to dry if you bake them. Winghouse Grill in Hull makes a bacon, lettuce, and fried green tomato sandwich that is to die for.

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fried ice cream

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

Had fried salmon patties this past week. Grew up on them because they were filling and inexpensive. One on the weekly staples we used to live off of.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod
  • KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod
  • PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fried pickles in ranch is a game changer. The key is that they aren’t over battered

• SniperdawgSniperdawg Posts: 39 ✭✭✭ Junior

For me the pickles should be the quartered Spears with some homemade ranch. The pickles chips just aren’t as good imo

• NOVADAWGNOVADAWG Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We are big fans of fried zucchini in this house. That and some habanero ranch🤤🤤

• WintonkWintonk Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You should really try deep fried oatmeal creme pies. The wife and I experimented with them a couple years ago. Dip them in a runny cake batter and fry to a golden brown, sprinkle on powdered sugar and drizzle some chocolate. My god they are insanely good.

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

the fair has insane stuff fried

milky way candy bars

butter

corn

I don't eat much fried food. I love it, just trying to be somewhat healthy. but I don't turn it down when I see it. especially some wild game