Home The G.O.A.T.s: Forum Thread Hall of Fame
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Next To Commit To The G 2020

Comments

• GeoffDawgGeoffDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019

So as not to jinx anything, this is purely conjecture but what would it realistically take for us to have a path to #1?

Obviously, passing Clemson would require us hitting on our top remaining targets like Evans, Burch, Ringo, Smith, SVP, and Sewell and probably flipping someone like Dexter but would that be enough? Or are we talking about potentially needing to upgrade one of our lower ranked guys?

In any case, in a class where we have to bear the lead weight (from a recruiting rankings standpoint) of taking a kicker, just the fact that it's in the realm of possibility is already a significant accomplishment.

Edit: forgot about Gilbert and Washington, we really have a lot of irons in the fire.

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks for those details. Not trying to temper the hype at all but I did wonder in watching his highlights about his top end speed. The vision and balance look to be outstanding. I was wondering how he will do trying to get the corner in the SEC to turn 7-8 yd run into a 40+ yd run. It could be the video or maybe he was slightly dinged up but that next level burst in the open field didn't seem to quite be there. Love that he's a Dawg, though, and if Dell made him a priority that's good enough for me.

• fibonaccisquaredfibonaccisquared Posts: 43 ✭✭✭ Junior

So my "high-moderate" projected class right now would come in right around 324-325 with today's rankings. Highlights include signing Burch, 2 of the 3 elite TE pod, Arian Smith, SVP, Sewell, Bigsby and Ringo. If you wanted to take that to #1 all time, it's gotta pass 326 which it seems like would take either 1) Add Zach Evans or 2) Flip Gervon Dexter and then sign a DB rated higher than Jaqurious Conley (he's my 3rd DB at present)...

If you don't have at least one of Burch/Evans, it seems like #1 all time is probably out barring a re-rank boost (though a re-rank at this point may be more likely to bring the elite classes back just a bit if we're being honest). #1 in the class will have a lot more to do with how much room do Bama/Clemson have in the class (and what are they filling it with)... If Burch were to choose UGA is sort of a 2 way hit to Clemson's ceiling right now since they are seen as one of the top competitors for his talents (or if you are a glass half empty person, you could say the opposite for us if he chose Clemson).

Thanks for the feedback, the potential here is incredible and although we'd have to expect Clemson will still land Flowe and Webb, I can't help but get a little excited about the way this is starting to shake out.

I know the CBs are showing Clemson as the current leader for Burch but for my money, I'll take @ClemTown 's assessment that they're really #3 behind us and SC. In any case, it's time to get pumped.

I think it’s a common trait among college fans that you want to win at everything.

However, in this case, I would take it a step further and acknowledge that class rankings feed perception and build your brand which in turn helps add future value to your class.

There’s a cyclical aspect to it that helps success be self-perpetuating.

• NoahSewellFanClubNoahSewellFanClub Posts: 593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I personally think that is a lame way to look at recruiting, although I do understand your point. In my opinion, If we get the guys that we want and the guys the staff wants, that is success, if that results in being #1, ok cool.

This discussion has been closed.