Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National Fajita Day....and dessert

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Except for vegans and such, I've never met anyone who doesn't love fajitas. Here's a short history:

In the early 1930s, Mexican vaqueros in Southwest Texas developed what we’ve grown to love all over the United States. Using throwaway cuts of beef, they developed the fajita. It wasn’t long before they became a staple in the region. These cowboys cooked the steak over an open fire or grill. Once cooked, they served it with flour or corn tortillas. Fresh Pico de gallo, guacamole and southwestern spices elevated the fajita. Soon the convenient meal for hardworking cowboys made an introduction to new audiences. The fajita became a destination food in the culinary world. Any special recipes you care to share? Your favorite fajita place?

It's also National Soft Ice Cream Day

In 1934 on Memorial Day weekend in Hartsdale, New York, Tom Carvel had a flat tire. After pulling his ice cream truck into a parking lot, the businessman knew his product was melting. As vacationers drove by, Carvel sold the softened ice cream to them. Surprisingly, they loved the soft ice cream! The potential for a new dessert was not lost on the salesman. Instead of roving ice cream truck, Carvel could have a fixed location with soft ice cream.

Two years later, Tom Carvel opened his first ice cream store on the site where his truck broke down. In the preceding years, Carvel patented a super low-temperature ice cream machine and created a secret formula ice cream. Any soft ice cream fans out there? I must admit, it's been quite a while since I've enjoyed any myself.

Comments

• MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Friday was National Rum day and today is National Fajita day. Solid weekend if I may say so

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You certainly may.

• CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Enjoy a DQ chocolate cone now and again.

My bride and I occasionally share a double order of fajitas, but no where in particular.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2019

Lived in San Antonio for a while, and though I don't claim to be an expert, one picks up a few things. Fajitas (fa HE tas) were traditionally made with skirt steak, at least per the signs in the SA several years ago. I made them with skirt, flank and brisket. All were wonderful, but I cannot compare them as the interval was too far apart. I read where flank steak is the common restaurant version. As to price, none of those three cuts are especially inexpensive. I suspect the popularity of fajitas is one reason. Per the source below, skirt steak is the same price as T bone steak.

Marinating is the key, along with a brief time on the grill. Cut across the grain on an angle to break up the fibers for a softer chew. Marinade core is lime juice and cilantro. Usually garlic too. Below seems a good one, but haven't tried it. (I was spoiled by having a commercial marinade, no longer available. Now I usually wing it, and the link is +/- it.) I discourage the red chili flakes. That is another dish. The brown sugar isn't needed either. The illustration of the meat is spot on.

Usually one has pico de gallo (mixture of diced tomatoes, more cilantro, onions and lime juice) and guacamole, shredded lettuce, and salsa (mild for company) and hot sauce along with grilled onions and green peppers as add-ons. Sides optimally are refried beans and Spanish rice. (Flour tortillas)

Done well, your mouth experiences heaven. As to great places, if in the Rehoboth Beach area, or driving up Delaware One, take in La Tonalteca on that highway. Do not confuse it with El Azteca which is closer to Dewey Beach. 4578 Highway One, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971-9790 +1 302-644-3994

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks Fire Plug Dawg. Great information.