Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Who is editing stories for quality/correctness before release to the Public WEBSITE

OldSaltyDawgFanOldSaltyDawgFan Posts: 220 ✭✭✭ Junior

Look at the latest story from Mike Griffith https://www.dawgnation.com/football/florida-mullen-miami-fun-wild-sloppy

Under the lead photo it says Georgia coach Dan Mullen......................really

SMH

Comments

• insertusernamehereinsertusernamehere Posts: 854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

C’mon man!!!

• skidmarksskidmarks Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s just not here, but typos and just flat out mistakes are all over print media ..... I’ve been reading and writing since 1968 and with the spell check software now, there is an exponential increase in errors ...back in the Stone Age there were hardly any .....not logical

• skidmarksskidmarks Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The position of editor must have been job eliminated by machines

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Outlets can’t hire copy editors bc no one pays for anything any more and online advertising doesn’t pay enough.

Maybe we start a gofundme to fix it? Anyone in? Lmk

• WintonkWintonk Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How about the educated writers proof their own work before going live with it? Just a thought...

Bc they are probably posting this late at night on little sleep. As a writer myself some things you just miss. That’s why they hire copy editors who’s sole job is to do what you’re asking. The writers aren’t making as much as the ones they cover so this stuff happens.

If it makes you mad, I’ll put you down for a contribution to this hypothetical gofundme

edited August 2019

@Kasey Did I say I was mad? Sounds like you are the one getting heated.

In today's world you do more with less like in any other profession. Take the extra ten minutes to reread it and edit.

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Part to the Biz model: writer you are on your own. Tough to do IMO.

If I do it’s bc complaining about something without offering solutions beyond “do better at your job” makes me a little grumpy. Guess not everyone is solution oriented these days and just want to complain about something

@Kasey, doing better at your job is a solution. Take that same concept and apply it to any other profession and see how long you are employed. I couldn't imagine going to work and saying the work I did was full of errors and my reason is that I didn't have someone look it over first.

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Part of the problem is time. With the hurry to get content out the door and the need to self edit. Everyone is trying to edit their writing as soon as they are finished writing it. Their brain plays tricks on them and they do not see the errors that would be easy to see the next day.

But it’s the job of a copy editor, which they don’t have...so now what.

And if my boss told me “do better” with giving me instructions on what to do In order to be better, they’d be out the door before me

@Kasey, did someone else write the article? Because in any other profession you don't blame others for your screw up. This is a dead cause!

Just know that in other professions, as odd as it sounds, if you make an error, you own that error. Weird, right?

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Big picture is Mike flew to Orlando to cover our hated rival. So far from listening to his FB post he is making a lot of sense. I am appreciative of this content to listen to as I knock out some morning chores.

It’s dead only bc you’re missing my point. Journalism is a team sport and without copy editors it’s like playing football with 10 instead of 11. You can do it but probably don’t want to.

Also know in other professions, if someone makes an error outside of their job descriptions, they don’t get reprimanded for said error.

Good day to you sir

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And has posted an article on the selection committee this morning. It's a good read with thoughts from some in agreement and not. Personally I cant see how it's working. Busy dude

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A lot of BUTT HURT going on here. Reading all the posts it's easy to see that the millenial generation's train of thought is alive and well. ITS NOT MY FAULT.