Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

New Tool Album - Fear Inoculum

Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you're into Tool (The Band), what's your take on the new album? Finally after 13 Years!!!

Comments

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I just went to Spotify to start listening to 'Fear Inoculum', the new album just released by Tool. Right out of the gate it's absolutely epic. Can't wait to hear every song on this new album.

edited August 2019

I just spent $174.99 for a CD of the album. Had to be done. This music requires two 15" subwoofers going at Mach 11.

I'm on Invincible right now. So far I'm absolutely loving this album. I think it's epic, an evolution of the band. It picks up where 10,000 Days left off, but it also harkens back to the beginning of Tool. I also like Maynard's vocals, they're more subdued, but these songs don't require screams. Danny Carey's drumming is off the charts and this may be Adam Jone's Opus on the guitar.

Love it!!!

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Reminds me of Radiohead. But for fans of the insane clown posse

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Flashback Friday.

In no way shape or form does Tool sound like or approximate Radiohead. Both have incredibly talented musicians, but Thom Yorke is the biggest poser in modern music.

edited August 2019

Listening to 7empest right now. Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The break-in of Adam Jones guitar is quintessential Tool and Maynard's vocals are killer. The time signature on this song is 21/16! Are you kidding me? This is insanely good.

edited August 2019

Ok, I've listened to the whole album and listened to 7empest and Culling Voices twice. My top 3 songs are as follows:

1. 7empest
    2. Fear Inoculum - The best opening, just mind blowing
    3. Culling Voices

2 and 3 are very close, but 7empest is the clear winner for me. Just an Opus epic song. I also dig Descending, still a ton to unpack with that tune - so many layers.

Overall A+

There's nobody out there like Tool, period and end the story.

For anyone interested, I wrote an album review on Variety Magazine under the name DawgByte. Here's the link:

https://variety.com/2019/music/news/tool-fear-inoculum-album-review-1203318826/

• WintonkWintonk Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2019

7empest and Pneuma are pretty da mn good.

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dang, @Casanova_Flatulence , you really swung from the heels with your critique of the author!

• ShadowSL14ShadowSL14 Posts: 213 ✭✭✭ Junior

I still gotta listen to it. haven't gotten around to it yet

• RandomFanRandomFan Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2019

FYI, Invincible and Descending are the two songs from this album they have been playing on their most recent tours. They've been dabbling with a version of Descending at some of their live shows for darn near a decade it seems.

EDIT to say: yes, the album is epic. And comparing Tool in any form or fashion to Radiohead or ICP? What I want to say to you, sir, violates the TOS, so...

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Just teasing you guys a little. Your fandom of tool is certainly equal that of Juggalos

I don't think he liked it either, because this morning when I checked my review was gone. To me his review was good prose, but the critiques of each song were superficial and he rushed the ending.

The people who don't like the album pine for more Undertow. As I said in my review, this ain't 1992 and these guys aren't in their 20's, so naturally they're going to evolve both lyrically and musically. I think they did a great job of bridging the need to remain a recognizable form of themselves and yet fulfill life's natural progression.

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Some people just can’t appreciate constructive criticism, apparently. I’m hardly a connoisseur of Tool’s music, but it is the nature of musicians to evolve, to explore new sounds, new modes of expressing themselves, not to mention all that has happened to them personally and musically in the last decade plus. This happens in all genres of music, and really in all forms of art. Some people can move forward as their favorite artists do, others can’t. That’s the nature of art.

The only Tool I’ve really listened to is what Uncle Lou plays on his channel. I like what I’ve heard, particularly how they push rhythmic boundaries. Justin Chancellor and their drummer have insane pocket. Metal sometimes gets dismissed as a genre, but the best metal musicians are often quite proficient both technically and theoretically.

• WintonkWintonk Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2019

Not sure if you guys have seen, but they are doing a fall tour. Tickets go on sale on Friday. Tool site presale goes on sale today, $499 a ticket for front row.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This popped up on my youtube stuff during lunch. I was looking for an old music or drummer post to put it in, but I guess this is even more appropriate. In case anyone ever wondered what it's like to be a drummer of a major rock band, here ya go.

I just watched this video not 5 minutes ago and then saw your post. What a great concert. Right now I'm listening to Fear Inoculum. What a fantastic album and yes, Danny Carey is a master drummer.

Great post.

I recommend listening to Tool in reverse chronology, because their early music is pretty heavy for first time listeners. Fear Inoculum is an easy album to listen to, as is 10,000 Days. Both are incredible.

I just hooked my nephew up with Tool and he's now seen the light. He posts me almost every day about some new Tool discovery and just bought tickets to go see them in San Francisco.