Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Beth Mowens Calling Our Game

Comments

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2019

I have no problem with women announcers or commentators. I just think she gets too many facts wrong during the game, including referring to Coach Kirby Swift. I also find her voice to be unpleasant. It’s like listening to a drunk aunt call the game. Not my thing. Doesn't make me a misogynist. It makes me someone who doesn’t care for Beth Mowin calling Dawgs games. Sorry.

• Stingray2112Stingray2112 Posts: 132 ✭✭✭ Junior

And I quote " I’m old school and want a dude calling my games. Sorry. I know I’m not “woke” enough, but it’s my TV, and I’ll do what I want with it."

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ok. So I take your downvote to heart and appreciate the social justice lecture. I’ll work on being a better person for you.

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You're not getting a social justice lecture from me. Just don't be surprised that if you post inflammatory things you get a reaction. But don't change if you don't want to. You be you.

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When you compare Howard/Zeier to the crew that called our game--it is night and day. ESPN was sloppy and the crew acted like our game was just something they have to get through.

At least with homers I'm getting some new insight into our program or players. And its like I'm watching the game with friends all pulling for Georgia.

This make sense to me. We always used to turn the sound on the TV down and listen to Larry Munson call the game for the same reasons. I'll probably start doing the same.

• GBALGBAL Posts: 739 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Many or most announcers do not get that the picture is the story..... not their constant minutia. Silence is OK.... Re: Keith Jackson.

That cringing voice on top.... makes it unbearable. Not a female thing for most. Thoroughly enjoy Maria Taylor and Laura Rutledge.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm with you. Don't like women calling men's sports. My wife doesn't like it either. Oh, and I could care less whether I'm "woke" or not. Heck, I'm still miffed at ESPN for letting Ron Franklin go over some silly PC BS. That guy called a great game. Franklin & Godfried were a great announcing team.

edited September 2019

Some people in this thread have given their opinions on why they do or do not like certain commentators. All fair. But a few of you are being blatantly sexist. It would be comical if it wasn't so sad. It's like a bunch of Archie Bunkers.

So, for those of you who just don't want women near the microphone because they are women, I would encourage you to think about why you are so bothered by this. Perhaps you are intimidated by women who like and know about sports. Perhaps it's just women in general that scare you. Something's up if you're that uptight about a woman being in the control booth just because she's a women.

Oh, and saying "my wife thinks so too" doesn't validate your thinking. It's like being called out for racist behavior and saying "I'm not racist. Look, I have a black friend.". Glad you're married though.

• DawginSCDawginSC Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think there are only maybe 4 or 5 announcers that make watching a football game more enjoyable. When it comes to TV, the announcers have very little impact. I don't really pay much attention, they're kind of just there for a background narration to what I'm watching.

I honestly had no problem with Mowans' call. Not great. Not bad enough for me to notice. Just random announcer. I get annoyed with blatant factual inaccuracies but hers seemed no different than most TV announcers.

It is different on the radio. You need a team who can accurately paint a picture of what's going on and communicate the emotion of what's happening as well. I can't think of a female making calls on any game I listened to on the radio... but there have been many men that have annoyed the hell out of me for their inability to communicate what's happening.

"Blatantly sexist and Archie Bunker". Oh do please give it a rest! Your PC terms and insults don't register with me!

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You don't know Archie Bunker? You just have to check out some episodes. Doesn't matter which ones, they are all equally funny. Except the one where Edith dies and Archie is left to care for the little girl.

• UGA4LifeUGA4Life Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know who Archie Bunker is. What this sheep is trying trying to do is silence people who don't agree with his agenda.

edited September 2019

I didn't expect anything I said would change anyone's mind. And I'll definitely give it a rest.

Just don't mistake my views for what you call PC terms. I'm for giving everyone fair treatment and treating them with dignity. Some on here don't seem to agree with that way of thinking. If you don't like being called out for sexist and insulting posts...well don't make sexist and insulting posts.

• mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

OP Here.

Just to clarify I didn't start this thread because Beth is female. Like many others, I just don't enjoy her calling our games. I believe women can call a game as intelligently and entertainingly as anyone else. There are just a few things that irk me about her/female commentating:

1) Accuracy - Coach Kirby Swift can tell you all about Jack Fromm's accuracy and why it's important. This is BM specific, I'm sure Maria Taylor and Laura Rutledge would kill it.

2) Voice - Beth's voice just bothers me, in general. It's like she's calling every game with a cold. It must be perpetual flu season for her.

3) Break from Tradition - and I think this is the more popular take. Most of us grew up listening to male announcers. It's what we're used to when we settle in to watch football. It's the coke to our bourbon, the ketchup to our fries, the cheese on our nachos. Hearing a female voice calling games is a deviation to that norm. It's the Pepsi to our bourbon, the curry on our fries, and the hummus on our nachos - I'm sure some people wouldn't mind the difference, but there are those who prefer it the way it's always been.

I could probably get over the voice IF the content was up to par, but in Ms. Mowins' case, I don't think it is, so therefore I will continue to bemoan our games that she's assigned to.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My turn. Ms Mowins was fine. Called game okay. Had background on recruits/recruiting/UGA. The team knew that Fromm came from Warner Robins and did NOT say WR was a suburb of ATL - unlike the male announcer at the SEC game with Awebern.

Was extra blabbing - male and female - due to Coach Dooley being in the booth, plus NO ONE expected the 1st Qtr to be competitive as it was. Could have ID'd players faster, but the intent, I guess, was to reflect a cupcake experience.

As to missing plays, that is on the producer, not the announcers. The production was largely 3rd rate, a C-, but can grade it an F if you refuse to miss any playing time. Smoke em if you got em.

edited September 2019
This discussion has been closed.