Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia report card: Bulldogs overcome themselves in 23-17 win over Notre Dame

2»

Comments

• Options
    jrmdvm1jrmdvm1 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭ Junior

Notre Dame was better than I expected, and had a great game plan. All those "blowout" predictions by the "talking heads" were probably based on the run defense ND showed in the earlier games. ND coaches came up with a very good plan/scheme to contain our running game. Had they not done that, it probably would have been a blowout. In addition, they found a "soft spot" to get their tight end open so often. We need to fix that. We have more "marquee" games ahead than does ND. We have to get ready for those. I hope ND avoids the "easy" label for their remaining games, and continues to win in convincing fashion. That will not only help them, but make this win look better for us. Go Irish, and GO DAWGS!

• Options
    FredBearFredBear Posts: 232 ✭✭✭ Junior

Georgia just better be glad that wasn't Clemson or Alabama on that field last night, they would have gotten skull dragged. Just like the Texas game, the coaching staff got outcoached and outmaneuvered all night. The coaching needs to mature as much or more than the freshman players do.

• Options
    chillinnchillinn Posts: 20 ✭ Freshman

Really inovative play calling almost did us in. ND had the TB screen figured out from the get go. And the TB dive play, too!

• Options
    GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

Georgia coaches does not coach to take chances, which is understandable. Sometimes you have to take chances to change things up where you don'tbecome so predictable. This is what Georgia have become in their play calling., especially with their offense in big games. They need to let Jake Fromm and the receiver corp loose. If you look at the games when they do show a little glimpse of the sling it around mentality, no one can stop them. Georgia has to do more of that with their running game and no one....I mean no one will be able to stop them.

• Options
    SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A win, is a win! That is what matters most!!!

I agree with your grades at every level and I think Kirby needs some help with game management. Hindsight being what it is, I have not seen him progress with his game time decisions, when it matters most! This can improve, but I was hoping over time it would show some results, it hasn't! Maybe give Bill Parcels or Bob Stoops a call or maybe Urban Meyer has some free time, between tv gigs, to mentor our beloved HC, you can bet Nick Saban is not providing any helpful advice to his student! All the great Head coaches have their mentor to turn to in times of need - who is there for Kirby??

The punter, Jake Carmada has disappointed at epic levels. This kid was the #1 punter in the nation at the High School level and from what I hear, he is almost perfect in practice. Game time is another story and his inability to handle pressure is evident. Let him go to a D3 school and grab a Juco for next year, but for this season, you need to comb the soccer team for a goalie who can handle the pressure and boom it. Hopefully I am wrong, but I think this could cost a game when it really matters most, it almost did last night!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree mostly with the grades. We definitely seemed to play more conservative than I expected and did not do much to confuse ND's defense. Why wasn't Pickens targeted at all? Why was Zamir not used at all? I think Coley will be better than Chaney, but I still think in general we tend to rely too much on our run game. It's like we are afraid to let Fromm pass the ball DOWNFIELD unless absolutely necessary. We didn't use our TEs much and couldn't stop their TE Kmet at all. Open field tackling still needs improvement. The final 1/3rd of our schedule is going to be the true test of this team. Luckily we have got (2) OPEN dates this season and one right before Florida.

The FANS deserve an A++++++....never seen such a great home field advantage before in Sanford Stadium. GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    HerschelsDailySoupHerschelsDailySoup Posts: 36 ✭✭ Sophomore

Considering the talent on the O line and in the backfield, and considering that the rush defenses we have played this year are all ranked near the bottom in rush defense (Ark St 112th, Notre Dame 110yh, Vandy 95th) I feel like our rushing offense has underachieved. It is probably too early to really tell, but it seemed like we should have run at will against ND. New mexico rushed for about 70 yards more than us against ND and Louisville 100 more.

Makes me wonder if it is due to Coley's blocking schemes. I was never a huge fan of Chaney, but he did have some creative blocking schemes that moved around the O line and made some massive holes to run through. Haven't had a lot of massive holes this year. Like I said, it's still early, but just venting...

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It was a playoff game and we won.

plenty to work on but this team will continue to get better.

• Options
    MacroDawgMacroDawg Posts: 50 ✭✭ Sophomore

Although there may be more left on the table, at the end of the day, a win is a win. People will still complain if we blew ND like the media chanted about this week. ND is a top 10 team and it is a little bit unrealistic to assume, they'll just seat there and get hammered by ga. They played hard against us and made this game more entertaining. Like Kirby said, his team got tested and glad it happened earlier in the season to get us prepared for what may come. #Go Dawgs

• Options

Georgia makes second half adjustments with the defense, which shows in every game. When are they going to do the same on the offensive side of the ball. The last time Georgia really played loose of offense is when we had Aaron Murray behind center with Todd Gurley in the back field. We had talented receivers with Bennett, Conley, and Mitchell, but we have better talent now with the speed. Wake up Georgia!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If the bulk of the comments on this site are any indicator, we've become the Alabama fan base a lot more quickly than I would have thought.

Obviously there are things to improve upon. I haven't seen anyone suggest otherwise, nor am I interested in doing so myself. But Georgia was faced with a legit opponent that had spent the past week hearing from pretty much everyone that they didn't stand a chance in the game and played like they were ready to shut everybody up. The Dawgs won this game despite a number of significant injuries on both sides of the ball, but to hear many of the fans tell it, one could be forgiven for thinking we lost by 20.

As for all the talk about "turning Fromm loose," correct me if I'm wrong, but does he not have options at his disposal before each play, and the freedom to decide where to go with the ball? Did Smart not say earlier this season that he wants to see Fromm stretch the field more? It's become something of an obligatory trope to criticize Smart's decision making after every big game, usually calling it too conservative. Considering the success the run game was having toward the end of the game, that the team generated something like 70 passing yards in the 4th quarter, and that Georgia's lead was steadily building up until Notre Dame's first successful drive of the second half with about 3 minutes left, I'm still waiting for a persuasive explanation as to why gaining yards and points in the fashion that they did is so richly deserving of criticism.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm sorry but the "a win is a win" is dumb. You mean to tell me a win by six points is the same as a win by 20 or more? Seriously? A win by 20+ tells me the team and coaches are ready for a better opponent. If not for the astonishing home field advantage, UGA loses this game.

Mike you should have given one more grade to the fans, A++. I agree with you other grading and am glad you gave CKS a D+. How in the world does Zeus not get tin this game? How does Cook get one touch?

I hope the coaching staff did a better job selling the recruits in attendance than they did selling me on their conservative play calling on offense and lack of adjusting to the tightends on defense. When a school as old and talented as ND sets a record for catches by a tightend in a game, THE COACHES FAILED!

I'm sorry, but I just know this style of coaching will not get us where we all desire to be. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Agreed. Both played tough.... Both had mistakes that were costly. Just what I expected. Media blew it on the late predictions. Classic rat bait.

• Options
    AceDawgAceDawg Posts: 13 ✭ Freshman

I do agree with the gist of these ratings. D+ a bit too harsh regarding coaching, but the offense did stay under wraps too much, and Kirby needs to go for the kill down the stretch. It did remind me of the Bama games. At least the team didn't get tired, but we've got to dial up something better offensively once we have a lead. Not a fan of kicking the ball on 4th and 1 to go up 23-10, either. Not when the Dawgs were inside the 30 yard line and in position to put the game away. Kirby has a 1980's mentality sometimes with his in game approach. On the flipside, you don't give coaches a D+ when you account for the effort that is a result of consistently strong coaching year round. You don't give a D+ when your QB is sharp and the defense makes some adjustments. If you merely take away the muffed punt return and Camarda punts 40 yards on his two shanks, this game would look different.

• Options
    Paladin33Paladin33 Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

Georgia Coaches are so predictable. Take the offense, when they other teams defense sees Charlie Woerner in the game we're more than likely going to run the ball inside or outside, maybe throw an outside screen. If Eli Wolfe is in the game we're going to throw the ball. Isn't hard for other teams when they watch film and pick up on these tendencies. This will cost Georgia down the road if this continues. Same was true last year and it did cost us.

• Options

E_Roc,  I understand your point, but Fromm is not the Head Coach nor Offensive Coordinator. You just cannot base this game against Notre Dame on how the offense performance is in its entirety. Georgia have never stretched the field in their play calling. Look at the top contenders who Georgia could face in the playoffs.....they throw the ball down field. Georgia have lost high competitive game against great teams because of not throwing the ball down field to open up the offense. It has showed the past two years. Look at LSU and Texas who demonstrated this on the big stage. Only if Notre Dame had an offense like those two, I am sure you would be singing a different tune because Georgia would have been on the losing end of Saturday night game. Lets be 100...