Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football winners and losers after win over Notre Dame

SystemSystem Posts: 10,437 admin
edited September 2019 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia football winners and losers after win over Notre Dame

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. Georgia football winners and losers after win over Notre Dame Winner: J.R. Reed With Tyson Campbell not dressing

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2019

Let me say this about Herbstreit's top four--he can pick who he wants, even if it makes little sense. Ohio State has played who? Georgia is criticized for a close win against the 7th ranked team by dropping another spot in his list? ND played lights out in the first half--didn't miss a tackle and brought the house. They disguised their blitzes about as well as you can. They deserve credit but UGA does not deserve the criticism for doing what good teams do--they find a way to win.

Where is his criticism of Clemson, playing a crap schedule, looking like crap in a couple of their wins? Alabama shares that distinction also. LSU's defense has been suspect so far this season and they played one team of note--beating them by one TD. All this tells me we shouldn't worry much about what Herby says.

Win out--as always. That will take care of it.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My criticism of Kirby is we threw too many behind the line of scrimmage passes early in the game after it was obvious they were not working.

How about throwing a couple of 10-15 yard sideline passes instead? Jake is great at those + they actually help open the run game + it's not helpful to continue doing anything which isn't working.

I'm all for body blows to the opposition and wearing them down and all that stuff, but it only works if you keep the ball which means getting first downs and marching down the field. When that's not happening, try something else. Make adjustments earlier, Kirby, when you need to; that's part of being balanced by your definition of it.

I'm sure Kirby & Company know the special teams need to become the Special Teams.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 622 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All good points JayDog. Exactly what I’ve been saying as well. All these predictions, opinions and analysis mean nothing four games into the season. Just control what you can control, get better and everything else takes care of itself. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You won't hear me argue with opening things up a bit--but ND was in our backfield most of the first half. They were overwhelming our OL with numbers and by bring blitz after blitz to stop the run. There were moments when Jake barely completed his drop before he had to let the ball go. On second watch--those guys completely sold out and disguised their blitzes. I doubt very seriously any team will get away with that level of recklessness again.

• Options
    EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 145 ✭✭✭ Junior

Why in the wide world of sports would you have Brenton Cox's pic leading with this article???....pay attention. Oh, BTW....no "losers" in this game, they are all winners. This includes the staff...….

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't understand the disappearing act of Charlie Woerner this year. The OL is getting far too much criticism for NDs defense stopping the run and short passing game. Woerner was missing blocks and assignments most of the night allowing LBs to make plays at or behind the LOS. In Kirby's system with no FB, the TE's first order of business must be blocking at the point of attack especially against a stacked box we saw all night against ND. The TE play in this game was definitely loser!

• Options
    GeoffDawgGeoffDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not sure you can categorize the play calling as a loser when we won the game. Imagine if we went for it and didn't pick up the first down, ND would've played for the tie at the end with a high degree of probability the game would've gone to OT where all bets would be off.

I'd agree that if we're playing against Tua or Lawrence, you have to keep your foot on the gas. Book, as solid as he is, is not in that category and it's a perfectly valid strategy to trust your defense to keep them out of the end zone one more time.

• Options
    dfrizzle2019dfrizzle2019 Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

That RAT POISON of the media fawning over us ALMOST cost us the game! Do NOT listen to the praise, Dawgs! Keep working! Keep making the corrections that need to be made! Because they're there. We've still got a LOT of work to do! We've got some tough games ahead. Don't underestimate ANY opponent! And KEEP CHOPPING WOOD! GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Love this team. Most talented team(I believe) I've ever seen at UGA (aside from a lack of pass rushing). However, Kirby almost got egg on his face. He was outcoached by a guy who had less to work with in a very hostile environment. CKS's exhale when that last pass was batted down spoke volumes about what was at stake. With all the hype leading up to the game you had to figure it wouldn't be quite so easy as eveyone thought. This was supposed to be UGA's coming out party to prove to the nation we are special - look at us. Instead we barely survived what would have been called one of the great upsets of the year.

I had my doubts about the so called "greatest offensive line in the country" when after playing the lesser teams I couldnt see any gaping holes being opened and any long TD runs by Swift. ND stifled our vaunted line in the 1st half. THey eventually wore ND down some. It sure would have been nice though to have had a 1st down or two on our last posession to run out the clock, behind that "great offensive line". THe great offensive line wasn't great enough to inspire confidence in CKS to go for it on 4th and 1 when we could have iced the game away.

We have a very good offensive line but lets stop with the notion of it being "great. " Huge? Yes, Great-Not yet.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jake Fromm and Cager saved our bacon. We don't win that game without Jake-period! Tyler Simmons is an excellent blocker and is fast but I haven't seen him make one "BIg" Play" in the last few years. He almost cost us the game with the muff but did anyone see the bobble on the previous punt he almost muffed? Being a good blocker is great and all that but with the game on the line we need to go to the "play-makers." Thank God for Cager, just some huge catches!

• Options
    rtparkerivrtparkeriv Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

The call to kick the field goal was a good one.

1. It was a full yard and we had just been stuffed twice running up the middle;
    2. The field goal still meant a 2-score game, but it became two touchdowns;
    3. Had they held us, it would have been a catastrophic momentum shift;
    4. Had ND needed a field goal instead of a touchdown at our 38, they could have played for the tie instead of having to get to the end zone.

Good decision by Kirby.

• Options
    sanforddawgsanforddawg Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't have a problem with the field goal I have a problem with taking the air out of the ball so to speak. When UGA was running an up tempo offense they had ND against the ropes. They were moving the ball at will as well as causing phantom injuries. When we slowed the pace the offense sputtered. Fromm is at his best when the offense picks up the pace. I have no doubt it was Kirby's call to eat clock but it really affected the offensive efficiency. We don't have to run a spread & run 100 plays a game but I believe you have to play towards your strengths & a faster paced offense is Fromm's strength.

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2019

Clint, I kept asking with some of those plays if Chaney wasn't still secretly calling the plays or if Coley had his old playbook.

I don't mean this to be down on our team, but I'm concerned when I look at Alabama and LSU, and to a lesser extent Auburn and Florida. Florida has really taken off with Trask as QB.

The conservative play calling has already cost us the last two years, and it does make me wonder about recruiting especially for top QBs, etc.

If I remember right, the pass to Pickens in the end zone was a missed PI call...it was in Pickens' hands, but if it's the play I'm remembering, the defender was all over him.

Florida tore up Tennessee on Saturday...I flipped between that game and LSU / Vandy. Granted, Vandy scored 38 on LSU, but LSU was pretty much scoring at will. Trask was making good throws.

Sure, it's Tennessee, but 34-3 is still impressive, and Trask is only going to improve (that was his first start). Looking at the schedule, it's likely the Florida game will determine the SEC East champ, unless UGA or F gets tripped up along the way.

Didn't see Mizzou / SC, but the score looked convincing.

At this point, if we make it to SECCG, I'm not sure who I'd rather play...LSU or Alabama.

I expected ND to come in ready to play, but that game could have easily been a blow out for UGA...the crucial penalties really, really hurt us.

• Options
    MillerMiller Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

I notice that none of the articles about the decision, including this one, mention that ND could have played for a field goal to tie us on the last drive if not for the field goal. If we get stuffed and ND ends up winning then they would be writing articles about how he should have kicked a field goal in that situation.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's easy to criticize in hindsight and forget how many things had to go right for Notre Dame after Georgia went up by two touchdowns, just for them to have a predictable failure of a desperation heave at the end.

Sure, you can make a case for going for it on 4th and 1. But it's also very easy to defend the field goal decision being made in that moment, at a point in the game when the Georgia defense had been consistently stifling. Dredging it up as a specific point of criticism comes off less as an honest assessment of the situation as it unfolded than a general eagerness to question Smart's decision making.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Reed is indeed a great safety and I am glad he plays and starts for UGA; however, his tackling was poor on several occasions in that game.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Um, no. They needed six points on the final drive to tie us, not three.

• Options
    Billy21Billy21 Posts: 195 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited September 2019

WHERE IS THE VERTICAL PASSING GAME?? The bulldogs have all this talent and it's like they (coaches) are holding them back or just aren't confident in themselves to make those decisions?? Jake Fromm is a great QB, but the passing percentage is straight up BS as most of the throws are EAST and West passing attempts. I thought Coley was going to be the answer, but there is now a lot of questions surrounding the coaching staff in my opinion. The bulldogs have too good of athletes to use them as an excuse why, so it's gotta be surrounded by the folks in charge. Is CKS having too much influence on the offense? Where is this HAVOC? I still have confidence that they can make these adjustments, I just hope their open-minded to it.

It was a great game to watch, but I hope the team and coaches (mainly) take a good hard look at themselves and improve in the bye week. Talent on both side of the ball is not an excuse any more....