Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Is using "we" acceptable when talking about a sports team?

Comments

• RetiredRedcoatRetiredRedcoat Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    No, you're not on the team, you don't get to use that word.

Geez, Connor, you didn't have to do that to us

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yo that was funny man @FirePlugDawg 😂😂😂

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019

I went to UGA for 2 years after attending Georgia Highlands College for 2 years. If I hadn't gone to school there I'd still be just as entitled to use ''we'' though.

More to the point, whose f....in business is it ?

• floridadawgfloridadawg Posts: 23 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited July 2019
  • VarsityVarsity Posts: 173 ✭✭✭ Junior
    "We" is completely fine if you love the team

I think it's all about context. For example: "we" should have a good year is totally acceptable, but "we" need to make more plays isn't because us fans can't contribute in that manner. You as a fan can have a good time, but can't make more plays or call plays better. But imo, it's a **** thing to get upset about if someone includes themselves as part of the team / coaching staff.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maxwell is with the majority it seems

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    No, you're not on the team, you don't get to use that word.

I won't use "we" if I'm talking to a fan of a different team or referring to UGA in casual conversation. But on here and with friends who are intense dawg fans, it's always we.

• WintonkWintonk Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think the Notre Dame game proved that "we" is totally acceptable.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can tell you right now that the UGA fans made at least 2 direct plays against ND during the game and caused them to use 2 TO's. The fans support and money have a direct effect on how well the team does. Only the amount of effect is up for debate. Yes, WE is completely acceptable.

• Razor2027Razor2027 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The role that fans played in Saturday's game certainly allows the use of "we" as far as I am concerned .

To quote Queen Victoria......''We Are Not Amused''.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’ve been known to use the terms “we”, and “us” before. However, I do make an honest attempt to periodically, and on occasion distinguish the difference that I am merely a lifelong Georgia fan, and nothing more. I absolutely have but one true love in all of sports. That is, and it always has been, and always will be ONLY THE Georgia Bulldogs football team. I do like the Atlanta Braves, I’ll pull for the Atlanta Hawks too. The Atlanta Falcons have broken my heart nowadays, just too many times to be even counted. However, my heart absolutely belongs to all things GEORGIA BULLDOGS!!!!

• TurkDawgTurkDawg Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2019

Funny story: In 2004, with seniors David Greene and Pollack and other great players on the team there were high expectations and Georgia was undefeated leading up to the Tennessee game.

So, it’s Friday before TN gameday, and my friend is at the golf course when 2 guys join up with him on the first tee. One guy has a UGA shirt so my friend says all the usual Go Dawgs stuff and mentions the big home game in Athens the next day.

The other guy asks, “Oh yeah? Well who do we play tomorrow?”

My buddy says to me later, “if you have to ask that, then you are certainly NOT part of ‘we’!”

😁😁😁

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2019

As an Atlanta native, I would also pull for Ga Tech growing up. Once I got to UGA that stopped entirely. Now as a UGA graduate, I say we all the time. I’ve never once in my life said we when discussing the Hawks, Falcons, or Braves.

• deplorabledawgdeplorabledawg Posts: 361 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A true fan can say we! Casual fair weather fans can but it sounds ****! A true fan is a fan no matter what happens win or lose! A fair weather fan only loves the team when everything goes the way that they think it should!

The Lone Ranger. Tonto, the Indians are gaining on us, we might be in trouble !

Tonto. WE Kemosabe ?

It's we when things are going well, not so much when THEY are playing like crap.

• TurkDawgTurkDawg Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2019

Munson used to say "we" a lot. That's a pretty good benchmark reference for me!

• BiggDawgg63BiggDawgg63 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I use we win or lose. That just means you bleed the color of your team and I bleed RED & BLACK all day everyday.

• WintonkWintonk Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Couldn't have said it any better