Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

The State of Georgia

Comments

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • DAWGS1980DAWGS1980 Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

Anyone think the outcome of who wins the series would be any different if it's a 7 game series instead of 5?

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I heard that term one time about 20 years ago. The guy was hammered to the bejesus belt and got surgery mixed up with scientist. I think he was a car mechanic from Social Circle.

• 1970Dawg1970Dawg Posts: 263 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Maybe Savage was hammered to his bejesus belt and wearing his ping pong cleats!

Just givin a fellow DGD a little heck....same to moos

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

United’s title is about the equivalent of the Mississippi Braves winning the AA championship. Big Whoop. I’m trying to figure out what attendance has to do with league talent level. The average ticket price for soccer games in Europe is exponentially higher. Premier League tickets cost hundreds of $ for an average seat. Half of United’s fans wouldn’t be there If the avg ticket price were near the cost of a UGA ticket with the contribution.

Im glad United won their league. Their diehard fans are still acting like their dog won the Kentucky Derby when in reality they simply won a stakes race in Alabama against other greyhounds

• SavageSavage Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well played sir. Nothing tees up a good rant like alcohol fueled emotion after yet another big loss

edited October 2019

I wasn't trying to insult soccer fans.I even played as a young lad...until I got "recruited" by my high school football coach. It was a cute little win for Atlanta. Let's just try to stay on point. I'm talking about the long suffering true Georgia fans through & through....the buzzards, the braves, the hawks & mostly our beloved Dawgs. It's not so much that we haven't won, it's how we lose.

17 division titles, only one World Series championship

2 superbowl appearances. 1 complete embarrassment, hooker trolling the night before the game?? The other, leading/ dominating the entire game only to lose in overtime.

The city of Atlanta on the world stage, hosts the Olympics & some jacka$$ sets off a bomb....good lord.

I'll refrain from revisiting the Dawgs because I truly believe in Kirby & think they're the closest to winning. Somebody brought this up earlier, not if but when they get that Natty I believe the flood gates will open for all the programs. Diamond dawgs on the way up, Antman & a top 10 recruiting class coming in, even White Lightening on the track.

It's an exciting time to be a Dawg but I'll still be worried heading into any big game.....it’s unavoidable

• SAVDGDSAVDGD Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've thought about this many times, and thought of the most intangible reasons why it could be. I hesitate to use the word "curse" because, even though I have Irish ancestry, I don't think when you pass into the afterlife that you are worried about anything on earth. The last thing deceased people would care about is making sure we don't win a football game. IMO

If I had to put some kind of metaphysical / "almost" scientific slant on it, I think it could be the geography and the "weight" of past experiences in N. Georgia, which the Trail of Tears could have some bearing.

I understand if some don't understand this, because some people are more aware or "in-tune" to this than others. But growing up in Savannah, I've definitely felt weighty presences in certain areas. Haunted? Maybe. But also, I believe intense pain or suffering (slavery, murders, sickness/disease) can leave like an "energy footprint" in an area. Everything currently or once-living is nothing but energy after all.

Kinda always thought this growing up, but it really hit me once I started traveling all over the country, and noticed that the general vibe of a place was different in different places. And I don't mean vibe as in the people, I mean just the general feeling you get from something in the air. I felt different in Texas than in Colorado, New York from Connecticut, and from Tennessee to Florida, Maybe barometric pressure has something to do with it, but it seems more subconscious than that.

Maybe it's past suffering,

Maybe it's where we sit geographically and there's just a weird magnetic field,

Maybe it's decades of the same thing happening that just compounds on itself,

Maybe our culture in Georgia is just over-confident and we get too worked up and expel too much energy in first-halfs,

All this to say, we're just gonna have to be THAT much better than the competition to overcome it, whatever it is...

One would hope that your alcohol fueled emotions have cleared up in your head after a couple days to ponder and hope you realize it's bad luck and bad breaks along with time to time bad coaching/managing that has got us where we are as fans, not a curse.

That being said let Kirby end all the debate in January!!

edited October 2019

Cleared up?? Yeah, I’ve really been losing sleep over it. Please enlighten us on the difference between “bad luck” & a “curse” because there’s obviously no science behind either. I was simply posing a question based on decades of similar outcomes. Stop trying to sound cool.

I grew up in Savh as well & there most certainly is a "heavier" feel in that town compared to other places I've lived and actually mentioned the Trail of Tears early in the thread. Do I believe the Dawgs (& our other teams) are actually cursed? No.

Is the way they've let countless championships slip through their fingers beyond bizarre? Absolutely without a doubt, yes

• SAVDGDSAVDGD Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2019

I know I’m about to make some people mad here, but I’ve personally never been sold that the bullpen legitimately blew double digit games for the Braves in 2019 and you had a legit 110-win team just hiding that would’ve been brought out with an elite bullpen. It was not what you’d prefer, for sure, but Pythagorean W/L didn’t exactly love the Braves this year, and if you want to focus on the early parts of the year, most of the pitching staff was sputtering to start, it was not just bullpen. You don’t fire basically an entire pen and end up with only 2 starters from the early weeks (before Folty returned) staying in the rotation without there being major problems.

Now, if you want to look at a team in which the bullpen actually did absolutely crush them until they could play a short series, lets go point at the Nationals (sadly this will hint at something else here). The Nationals had the Pythag that suggested their bullpen woes just absolutely CRUSHED them at times (and there’s a video coming eventually that is going to showcase this, and it will include plenty Braves taking advantage too to boot). If they had a merely average pen, just average! They're NL East champions in 2019.

The first paragraph doesn’t sound that great for sure, but what the Braves did in the regular season was absolutely legitimate…the NL East turned out to actually have 2 very good teams and 1 good.

I'm going to make people even madder here, I don't think game 4 was blown by the bullpen (don't throw game 1 in my face, I do think game 1 was costed by the bullpen and really some unfortunateness in Chris Martin having to leave without throwing a pitch). I think it was blown by fate in reality, and more on the offense too. 3 of the 4 runs scored were unearned and you had multiple chances after that, you had St Louis trying extremely hard to hand the game to you and you didn't oblige. Shane Greene did not pitch badly...a cliché of mine that some hate is going to come up here....weak little BS hits costed him in reality. I'm not sure the broken bat bloop double was even a strike. Some teams just know how to do all of the little things to win in the postseason, the Cardinals do, the Braves don't.

And I'm sick saying that.

Great take GeorgiaGirl. I would just add in this series our 3 4 n 5 hitters were well below par. Acuna, Ozzie and Dansby were fine. If the middle of the lineup did their norm, most of the questionable bullpen calls by Snit and their pitching itself probably wouldn't have matter at all.

I guess I don't sound cool, that's cool, I'm old, don't need to sound cool!

Bad luck is Bill Buckner or Freddie's bumble.

A curse is a little voodoo woman sitting in her magic room sticking pins in a cotton doll.

Hope that clears thing up for ya my man.

Go DAWGS

Anyone care to revisit the original post now??