Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National Gumbo Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

First off, I hope they serve some Gator Gumbo down in Baton Rouge this evening.

There were 9 possible National Days today and I chose one to keep it simple so we can focus on what's really important - today at noon. Some gumbo facts:

On October 12th, the menu spotlights National Gumbo Day for food holidays. This heavily seasoned, stew-like dish fills us up on chilly fall days.

Originating in southern Louisiana during the 18th century, Gumbo is a dish that typically consists of a strongly flavored stock, meat or shellfish, a thickener and seasoned vegetables. The seasoned vegetables may include celery, bell peppers and onions which are a trio known in Cajun cuisine as the “holy trinity. The dish is commonly served over rice. Gumbo is usually categorized by one of the following types of thickener used:

• The African vegetable okra
  • The Choctaw spice filé powder (dried and ground sassafras leaves)
  • Roux (the French base made of flour and fat)

Gumbo arose from a West African word for okra, which many believe is how the name and the ingredient also intertwined. Gumbo is thought to have been first documented in 1802 and was listed in various cookbooks in the latter 19th century. It gained widespread popularity in the 1970s when the United States Senate cafeteria added Gumbo to the menu in honor of Louisiana Senator Allen Ellender. Gumbo is the official cuisine of the state of Louisiana. Since 1989, New Iberia, Louisiana has held The World Championship Gumbo Cook-Off. 

Enjoy if you are so inclined. Go Dawgs.

Comments

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wouldn't consider gumbo gumbo without okra. Never tried to make it. Too lazy to look it up, but the old guy that had the Cajun cooking show said that one had to watch how much celery one used as it can overpower a dish. Always thought that odd as I can't really taste celery. Like the crunch.