Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Cold weather comfort food

allywallyw Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Since today was the first day in southwest Georgia that wasn’t hot as blue blazes I cooked Techie Hubby a cold weather supper. I’d like to know what y’all like to cook when it’s cool out! I’ll start: Man-catchin’ cube steak with gravy.

Comments

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good question. I'm glad it's getting to be that time of year. That sounds good. I like to do a Chicken and Dumplings from scratch. Well, I use rotisserie chicken because I don't cook whole chickens regularly lol.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Man-catchin’ cube steak.

So you’re saying yours is pretty darn good, huh?

Brunswick stew. Just made some the other day. I also just fried up some venison cube steak this week, with biscuits and gravy, along with our last batch of lima beans from the garden.

• allywallyw Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker he proposed a few days after I first made it for him...and I love Brunswick stew!

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Really nice to hear from you Ally. Looks (and sounds) great!

The cool weather inspired me to make some chili today. My son opted for fish sticks but I had a bowl and it was pretty good.

@scooterdawg I would kill for my mom's chicken 'n' dumplings. She's still alive but barely, and no one in the family knows how to make them. If you're willing maybe you could post your recipe.

Brunswick stew is a great call too @Bankwalker.

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like vegetable soup and cornbread. I made ham dumplings from scratch Sunday along with a big pot of chicken mull. I always keep a whole chicken in the freezer. You can do so many different things with a whole chicken.

Cubed venison is so much better than cube steak from a cow.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • jc30116jc30116 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My wife does ham dumplings in the winter. And every once in a while I will break down and cook chili(wife makes chili but I call hers tomato soup..p.s. don't tell her I said that lol).

I agree, @DvilleDawg ! Unfortunately we lost all the deer meat in our freezer when Hurricane Michael tore through our area last year. Cleaning out a freezer full of rotten meat while pregnant was awful 🤢

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We discussed breakfast all ready so some good firehouse chilly is good for winter time too

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For one: Stuffed (hamburg and rice) bell peppers. Spouse made six few days ago. First day, she ate one, and I had two. Next day we reversed it. I had two and she had 1. Enjoyed mucho.

Simple. Added thyme to the beef and rice along with some Italian herbs. Add tomato sauce with 1 can of paste. Put in slow cooker. Niceeeeee!

edited October 2019

@AnotherDawg when I make dumplings, I boil a whole chicken to get rich broth and mix my dough like I'm making biscuits but I cover it with enough flour so I can roll it really thin and cut it in strips and drop them into the broth with bite size chunks of chicken. Cook them for about 20 minutes stirring enough so they don't stick.

@DvilleDawg I’d love your dough recipe!!!

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That's how I do it too Dville..the dumplings that is. Most recipes call for the balls of dough but I roll mine out and cut into strips.

I think it's similar to a dish called Chicken N Rags I saw somewhere. @AnotherDawg I don't make the broth from scratch but I put carrots, celery, and onions in my Instant Pot with some boxed chicken stock, let it cook for 30 mins or so, and then drop the dumplings in while it's simmering and some chopped up rotisserie chicken at the very end. I'll try to find my recipe.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Beef stew and cornbread.

Meatloaf with green beans and creamed potatoes.

Pot roast.

• DestinDawgDestinDawg Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Slow cooker cream cheese crack chicken chili.......you just can’t quit it.

https://www.plainchicken.com/2019/02/slow-cooker-cream-cheese-crack-chicken.html

• carnivorecarnivore Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

Pot roast cooked all afternoon in the cast iron Dutch oven

chicken fricassee

chili

• DawgatronDawgatron Posts: 449 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pot Roast and Tater Tot Casserole.

Oh! I forgot about this one: potato and bacon chowder with corn. My Bible study group loves it!