Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Cold weather comfort food

2»

Comments

• Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's 2 cups of flour, 1/4 cup of crisco or lard ( I use lard). Mix those 2 together until the flour is crumbly. You can use a whisk for this if you don't want to use your fingers. Add 1 cup of buttermilk and mix it with a wooden spoon. Don't use a metal spoon. You may want to add a little more buttermilk to make sure the dough is wet enough. Dump that onto a well floured surface and sprinkle flour over the top of the dough. Make sure your hands are floured and knead the dough. I usually just mash the mound down a few times then fold it over from top to bottom and lightly mash two or three times, then fold left to right and mash two or three times, then fold right to left and mash again, then fold bottom to top and mash two or three times. I break off a ball about the size of a grapefruit, flour it really well then roll it as thin as it will go without breaking apart. Cut it into about 4 inch strips and dump it in the broth.

• Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I want that recipe. My brother had a local restaurant cater a meal for the local college baseball team and they made a corn casserole that was so good but I can't find a recipe for that.

• Options
    AugDawg69AugDawg69 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ahh, deer chili. Hard to beat

• Options
    tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I made some chicken noodle soup today for dinner

ingredients:

Okra

Carrots

White onion

Garlic

Basil

Thyme

Salt

Black pepper

White pepper

Sage

Cayenne

Bay leaves

kerrygold butter

Chicken thighs

Medium egg noodles

Progresso reduced sodium

Beef bouillon cube

in the stock pot I added some kirklands organic evoo and cooked the chicken, once done I put chicken on cutting board to cool and then chop

in a separate pot I boiled the noodles

leaving all the oil and chicken drippings in the pot I raised the heat to saute the onion and garlic

then I added all the above ingredients and the chicken and noodles

just had a bowl and it is excellent, the best I have made so far. going to simmer until dinner so the okra and carrots soften

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My wife knows how to make this old family goulash recipe. Cook up some chuck roast cut into nice solid chunks, throw some ketchup and spices in there with beef broth and let it simmer for a few hours.

Have yourself a healthy ladle on top of some wide egg noodles - you'll be asleep within the hour.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

See today's National Day thread. Not really a comfort food I guess, but mighty fine on a cold, wet day.

• Options
    allywallyw Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Here ya go, @DvilleDawg !

Ingredients: package of bacon

One onion

6 red or small russet potatoes

Can of corn (can use fresh creamed corn)

Can of cream of chicken soup

2 cups chicken broth

1/4 gallon of milk (I use 2 percent for this recipe but you can use whatever is in the fridge)

Cook a package of bacon and brown an onion in the bacon grease (oh yeah!) Set the bacon aside on a paper towel to drain. Chop up 6ish red or russet potatoes and brown them in the rest of the grease. Throw in a can of cream of chicken soup and a little chicken stock and bring to low boil. Take off the heat. Add milk and stir well. Let simmer on low and add the corn (drained). Here I usually add a tablespoon of dried sage or rosemary and a nice bit of fresh ground pepper. Maybe a 1/2 tsp of kosher salt if needed. (I use low sodium everything, do season to your taste!). Add the bacon, stir and enjoy!

• Options
    Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Taco Soup w/ Mexican Cornbread

2 lbs. Ground Chuck

1 Large Onion

1 can Black Beans

1 can Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes

1 can Tomato Sauce

1 can Fire Roasted Corn

1 can Hominy

Minced Garlic

2 Packs of Taco Seasoning

• Options
    dawgitimafandawgitimafan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Craving some smoked brisket today, think I'll take the wife out for a late lunch, come back, have a workout and then watch the Dawgs stomp these wildcats. Never have saw a cat that liked water and mud.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2019

Im stuck in my camper while it is too rainy and windy to hunt outside. Nonetheless, this is better than staying home with my wife and the FIVE additional female visitors at my casa for the weekend. I have directv on watching the UF/USC game, a 12 of beer, a fresh bottle of Eagle Rare, and pot of venison stroganoff simmering on the stove for lunch. Open face sloppy hoes for dinner.

Edit: I can’t edit this because I’m too amused by the typo, but will point out I MEANT to say Sloppy Joes instead of Hoes.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

one has to be very cautious about being in an environment with so much estrogen. Hang in there.