Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia RB D'Andre Swift stands up for team, puts critics in their place

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited October 2019 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia RB D'Andre Swift stands up for team, puts critics in their place

Georgia football RB D'Andre Swift says the Bulldogs will do what they need to do to win games, regardless of what fans or critics think

Read the full story here

Comments

• VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Never booed the dawgs, just the play calls.

we as fans deserve explaination as why they call the same play up the middle that isn’t working. If our offense would show some creativity we probably wouldn’t t be so upset. These players have to be as frustrated as we are. They are the ones in the trenches, I can promise there are eye rolls when in the huddle Jake has to look them in the eye and say” ok, one more time, half back dive on 2.....break!”

im sure no one anyone on staff reads or cares anything about what we say on here but I would love to publish the statistics on off tackle runs or hb sweeps vs those dives this season. Numbers don’t lie! Week 8 is enough time to generate trends and sig fig stats.

• DDubDDub Posts: 58 ✭✭✭ Junior

Vetdawg.. you "promise"?? The interviews from Fromm, Swift, and Thomas prove you wrong. The players knew what they had to do to win the game and they did it, the eyerolling was from you. If you keep doing body blows, it wears the other team down. Fromm is the one who said he didn't want to throw the ball, so that kind of means the only other option is to run it. If Fromm didn't want to throw, then that's on Fromm, which means your boos were directed at a player...

• David1David1 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The boos were not directed at the players but at the play calls. Most fans thought the offense would be better without Chaney but even he wasn’t this inept as OC. As a big Dawgs fan, I take exception to the fact that these players and coaches keep saying that they don’t care about the critics or the boos and that they only play for each other, but they all forget that the fans are the ones that support them with tickets and/or donations so the ones they need to start playing for are all the fans that supported them last night by sitting in the deluge because we love our Dawgs. Evidently the players just don’t get how the fans feel just like what they think we don’t know about coaching or playing. Also, it was raining at the sc/fla game, albeit not like in Athens, and they were throwing the ball like it was normal weather conditions.

• VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

please go back and read Swift’s quotes from after the Carolina game. He stated himself about getting the ball to the outside. If you go back and watch the game when we ran to the outside it did work. This is the sec, and we can’t put talent people and hope we last longer ( rewatch sc game).

I understand recruits don’t want to hear the boos, but we as fans get fed lines about the Georgia standard and when the coaches call out players we support them holding the standard, but Dub......who is going to hold the coaches to the Georgia standard?

• pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Internet experts. 21-0 and on to Jax.

• DDubDDub Posts: 58 ✭✭✭ Junior

Vetdawg, I have watched the S.C. game ten times. And the people I blame for that loss are:

Fromm: 13 of his 51 dropbacks had wide open receivers that he didn't throw to. Those choices Fromm made, not anyone else, resulted in two interceptions, missed first downs, and two explosive plays that would have been touchdowns.

O-Line: 3 sacks, missed assignments, getting straight up manhandled. Florida's mostly freshman O-line did better than ours against S.C.

Fromm was the main reason we lost that S.C. game, players play the game, not coaches. The plays were there, Fromm didn't make them. People with the guts to call out Fromm are: Zeier, Donnan, Dayne Young, and Hutson Mason. If Fromm makes one decision that we are used to him making then we win that game.

If you want to blame Coaches, then blame Pittman for the O-line play and Coley for the QB play, but not the plays, the plays were there and Fromm didn't see them or saw them too late. He is not anticipating well at all this year.

And recruits and players don't know why fans are booing.. they are left to guess what each fans intent of their boos are.. not a good way to sell your program.

As far as running inside to **** them in and set up outside runs, that's what we did against Kentucky. It worked, we won. What's the complaint? That it should have happened in the first half? I remember watching the 2012 SEC championship, we had the lead and BAMA kept running the ball even though they were behind. And run after run drew us closer and closer until BAM.. Amari Cooper. Body blows work, you have to trust the process and be patient.

But I agree with you that we need some get under center toss sweeps and some counter run plays.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2019

I wasn't at the game. But if I had been there, I might have booed, too. Rain or no rain, that first half was pathetic. People pay for tickets and they have THE RIGHT to boo, cheer or sit there like a bump on a log. (That's especially true of fans who sit in a driving downpour for three hours). I love Swift but he needs to grow up and learn people aren't always going to be with you, especially when they believe they're seeing an inadequate product or effort. I get that it rained and was raining hard. Well, it wasn't raining the week before against SC. It wasn't raining the second half of the Vanderbilt game, either. As for as what recruits want, they're like 18 years old. They're still figuring things out. You could win 100-0 and not sign a kid, and then you could lose (as we did to SC), and they'll still want to come. Many of the fans who booed Saturday night were probably among the crowd that was widely praised for their support at the Notre Dame game. You can't have it both ways, D'Andre. If the team (coaches, players, other fans) don't want people to boo, "Do More," and do it better!

• natejawsnatejaws Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior

Funny they don't care what fans think this week but loved them at Notre Dame. The ones that booed are the most devoted fans, they sat through 50° rain to watch the same play calling at SCar. Sorry that after the 53rd half back iso that went for two yards again and everyone knew was coming, most of us were ready to explode. Speaking of which, swift was not explosive until it was a run to the outside. Not coincidental.

One last thing that has frustrated me, Smart quit recruiting and utilizing a lead blocker (aka full back) 2 years ago, and since then we couldn't pick up 3rd and 1s. Again, not coincidental. Just frustrating to watch in 50° rain.

• Louis8478Louis8478 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭ Junior

I agree Jim. The team played their hearts out. They are 6-1, ranked in the top ten and no one has gotten in any trouble during the season so far. I love our players and have no issue with CKS but only wish the play calling would take advantage of each player"s potential. I love Jake Fromm but it just seems like the opposing defense has figured out his audibles or his pre-reads. The receivers have no double moves to get open and Coley is using the same old plays time after time. Some examples are the runs up the middle with Swift and another was the screen pass to D-Rob during the Kentucky game. Anyone can see this coming before they even snapped the ball. Still Love My Dawgs ! Go Dawgs!

• DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If people don't come to the games, or make their substantial contributions to the school they love, there will be no games to play, or scholarships to hand out. So thanks for the lecture D'Andre - I'll make a note. But if this young man thinks fans don't matter or that he is somehow the arbiter of all things related to UGA football, he is very much mistaken. Neither he nor his coaches are infallible gods to whom the mere mortals owe homage. Considering the adoration fans have for UGA football, to hear them booing at a home game is astounding. And they weren't expressing anything that the professional commentators in the booth weren't also expressing. Hubris is a dangerous drug - in the hands of a youngster - or a head coach.

• SteelerDawgSteelerDawg Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ Junior

I want to know how many people being critical have ever played a game in those conditions. Hubris applies to fans as well, obviously. Fans who mostly don't know anything about actually playing the game. If a fan things that his dollars entitle him to some sort of authority over how the team plays, he is very much mistaken. This is a win this team needed. Our running game needs to be dominant and it was again. We might have to win a little **** this year. So be it. Alabama built their program on a conservative offense and a lights out defense. That is where we are right now and booing and wanting us to be something that we're not doesn't serve anyone but their own ego. Support them where they are now.

• BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 620 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My thoughts are like many on here. My/our boos or criticism are not directed at the players and I believe most of these players are mature enough to know that. I only played in high school but I do know what it’s like to be out in summer camp in South Georgia in 90-95 degree weather. I went trough Parris Island in June, July and part of August in the blistering heat and sweltering humidity of South Carolina. So I have a true understanding of the absolute misery these guys go through day after day and most of them for for 4-5 years. My angst is directed at a coordinator who is paid a salary 99% of us will never see keep doing the same thing over and over but is not working, and not just against Kentucky. Weather conditions Saturday did not change from the first half to the second half, play calling did. We started getting to the edges whereas in the first half we never tried. Just up the gut every play. When play calling changed the fans mood changed as well. We realize conditions were not conducive for a passing game. I love this team, these players. We’re very fortunate to have such good and respectful young people men representing UGA. Go Dawgs!

• GBALGBAL Posts: 739 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Some pathetic UGA fans who spent the preseason funneling the media koolaid regarding UGA and NC or BUST expectations. You dont replace an entire receiving corp with freshmen and transfers from the previous year and not miss a stride. Some fans need to transfer to third world Miami.