Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

BA is Mistaken That Paying Players is Good Policy

124»

Comments

• Options
    DestinDawgDestinDawg Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One and done like basketball or pay them. Hate it but it’s coming, and soon.

• Options
    LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That would require the NFL and NFLPA to agree to that. The reason that works for basketball is the NBA and NBAPA allow it.

I can’t imagine a 19/20 year old on the field against a seasoned NFL player. At least the kids now have been through a few years of college S&C before they hit the pros.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior

One and done will equate to one and done in the NFL. That would only work for kickers. The one and doner wouldn't make it out of camp competing with juniors and seniors that are bigger, faster, and stronger.

• Options
    ftn49ftn49 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Attendence is completely different from viewing audiences. My feelings aren't hurt and my stance is still the same. Paying players will not be the end of NCAA football and after some turmoil might actually strengthen it. Wanna keep the best players around for longer? Pay them.

• Options
    ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Most wouldn't even get into UGA unless they played football. Please, son. The'de be flippin' burgers or worse. Trust that. You show your true pell grant colors.

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    bnadawgbnadawg Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophomore

The bottom line for me with this post is that I find it disappointing many college football players and proponents of paying them see little value in a free college degree while receiving room and board, spending money, tutoring, personal strength training, and professional coaching worth a very minimum of $100,000. Compare that to many more students who receive none of those benefits and leave college with debt that takes them 20 years to pay off.

• Options
    tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am against schools playing athletes

I am for an athlete being allowed to seek compensation based on likeness and marketability

this is not about the 1%, it is about the other 99%, including non-football players

they will benefit from this

it would also allow the same freedom all non-athletes already enjoy

• Options

there are other sports besides football, many don't offer full rides, room and board, etc

the student with an academic scholarship, full or partial, is allowed to be compensated but the swimmer or wrestler or tennis player is not

• Options
    101ina45101ina45 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

College really isn't worth all its hyped up to be.

Most UGA students already have either HOPE or ZELL.

It's in no way fair compensation for CTE.

• Options
    BaxleydawgBaxleydawg Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My problem with the pay argument is that they are already paid. Middle class kids can barely afford or not afford college now as their parents make over the financial aid income levels. Now only rich kids or scholarship kids can afford it without massive debt if at all. If you went through College you know what I’m saying. Depending on the school and locale these kids receive a 50 to 100k value when considering food, housing , tuition, medical care, counseling, books, stipends, etc.

Its ignorance to say these kids aren’t paid already and as much as I love @DawgNationDaily I thought he was uninformed on this issue.

Now if you are arguing that the athletes compensation should be increased or adjusted I could be interested in those type of discussions. Just don’t tell me they aren’t compensated when I had to work full time to struggle through school. Tell me you want to increase their compensation just don’t tell me they aren’t compensated. It’s agitating.

• Options
    3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited October 2019

you wanna get paid = no ship ......... if you can make more than the ship gives you.... go for it .... this allows any kid to test his/her market value .

• Options

should this apply to all college students receiving any scholarship funds? or just those receiving athletic scholarships?