Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Hawks Ongoing Season Comments Thread

CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can't start much better than 1-0, right?

Trae Young looks spectacular. If Reddish develops into his potential, that draft-day trade to send Luka to Dallas will look better and better.

What happened to Jabari Parker? He looked like a man possessed out there last night. He averaged 20 ppg back in 2016; if the Hawks system can unlock his game, he could be a scary threat off the bench. His game is so weird; it seems like he plays a half-beat off of everybody else on the floor, but if it works it works.

John Collins might be the best value of the 2017 NBA Draft. If you had to re-rank right now, I think you would put Donovan Mitchell at #1 (taken #13), then Collins (#17) or Tatum (#3). Collins nearly averaged 20-10 last year in just 30 minutes per game, and it looks like he’s got room to grow.

De’Andre Hunter looked very good. 14 points in his debut, plus solid defense. He’s that 3-and-D wing that the Hawks were sorely missing. Bruno looked smooth. Vince Carter is immortal.

It’s one game, and there’s nothing I love more than overreacting to a small sample size, but I felt going into the season we could contend for a playoff spot. That would be a great accomplishment for this young team and regime. Can’t wait to see how it plays out!

Comments

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2019

Parker was getting back to his normal self in a Wizards uniform after the two ACLs. People just didn't like him because of what he said about how you don't get paid to play defense. So, he got a prove it contract and it looks like to me he's happy to accept a role player role. If he continues to play that role, its actually not what he was. More pick and roll, cutting, shooting jumpers, and attacking mismatches/slashing. In other situations he was relied on to put it on the ground more.

• dawgitimafandawgitimafan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2019

Trae young looked great! Got nothing from reddish offensively but not worried about that just yet!

• CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And he's only 24, so I don't think he has reached his ceiling just yet.

Reddish's biggest question mark early on is his 3-point shooting, but he was active and engaged on the floor. Once he settles in those shots will hopefully start falling.

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Was nice to see the defense clamp down on the 2nd half. To be fair it was the Pistons without Griffin but was on the road and still good to see. Generated several fast break points in the 2nd half off of creating turnovers. And yes, Parker looked great as well.

• BiggDawgg63BiggDawgg63 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I’ll let you know how I feel about the Hawks 20 games into the season. If there over 3 to 5 games over 500 I might get a little fire in my soul for them. Let’s wait and see. Till then GO HAWKS!

• AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Used to be a Hawks fan and watched them relentlessly. Then the NBA changed from a team sport to a ME sport. Haven’t watched a game in years. Now that the NBA is now the Chinese NBA, could care less. Hope the league folds. Maybe the Falcons could get Labron James. All world tight end. Expecting a lot of down votes but I’m old, I can take it.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm auditioning for a bandwagon to jump on since the Falcons were nice enough to make me give up on the NFL season early so if the Hawks look frisky..

Did you start this thread to torture WC since he's apparently banned again? LOL

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Hawks have potential to be a lower rung playoff team this season if they can play something resembling defense here and there. They'll score points for sure.

Hawks are winning the Finals, prove me wrong

Nah lol this thread is dedicated to his memory. And basketball.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Am I the only one who operates with sort of a "zero expectation, super high hopes" attitude towards Reddish?

Moment of silence for WC while y'all think about my question.

To me Reddish sort of fell to us and he has a ton of potential. I don’t expect a ton right now because everyone says he’s so raw, but our organization seems like a good place to develop with lower expectations

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good start to the season. Like the pieces the Hawks have added this year, especially Hunter, Reddish, and Jabari Parker. They should be an exciting team to watch and I can see them contending for a playoff spot if they can avoid injuries to their key players (especially Young).

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Reddish has tremendous potential, I can see him being a very good in the near future and then getting traded away

We aren’t in the business of trading away young talent right now

• MackDawgMackDawg Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2019

Pablo, I know you aren't the most computer savvy poster out there but it should be obvious our boi WC is currently attending band camp. He'll return once he masters the trombone

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hop in. The caveat is we really don't know what this team is going to do but if you treat it correctly it can be a breath of fresh air from being mad/disappointed about a Falcons team deep in its regime failing so bad that it looks like it needs a major housecleaning (and I don't blame you as I've watched about 2 minutes of that game besides highlights, I have NFL Gameday Live on instead), and stressed about other sports ventures.

Right now, it's rooting on a team that can be very fun that's trying to learn how to win this year. They weren't a good team last year, but after an absolutely horrendous start, started to play decent ball and had some really fun games to watch later in the season (they were also mixed in with duds but the fun is what I remember). And from the first two games, it looks like a continuation of that/possible improvement.