Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National S.troke Day / National Cat Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited October 2019 in Off Topic

Many on our board are either at or getting close to the age where strokes can become more problematic. It is my hope that board members can get some useful information from this post.

World S.troke Day, on October 29th, seeks to emphasize the serious nature and high rates of ****. The day is also observed to raise awareness of the prevention and treatment of strokes.

According to previous statistics, one in six people were expected to have a s.troke during their lifetime. Fifteen million people around the world have strokes each year. It’s also the leading cause of disability. A s.troke may cause paralysis, sensory disturbances, aphasia, and emotional disturbances.

Over 6 million people die as a result of a s.troke. Throughout the world, s.troke is the second leading cause of death. Additionally, current statistics suggest that the number of people expected to have a s.troke has increased. Now, one in four people is likely to have a ****.

Knowing the early warning signs of s.troke saves lives. Early symptoms of a s.troke usually happen suddenly. These symptoms include:

• Numbness or weakness, especially on one side of the body
  • Confusion or trouble talking
  • Trouble seeing
  • Dizziness or trouble walking
  • Severe headache

If you or a loved one is having any of these symptoms, it’s important to act F.A.S.T.

F = Facial Weakness

A = Arm Weakness

S = Speech difficulty

T = Time loss is brain loss. Call 911 when these symptoms are present. Don’t wait!

Early warning signs of a s.troke may disappear after a few minutes. However, the symptoms may still indicate a transient ischemic attack (TIA). Even if symptoms disappear, it’s important to receive medical attention right away.

It’s important to know the symptoms of a .****. Furthermore, it’s also important to know that s.trokes can be prevented. In fact, up to 90% of all s.trokes can be prevented by addressing certain risk factors. These risk factors include hypertension, diet, smoking, and exercise. Through an emphasis on prevention, the World St.roke Association hopes to cut the number of strokes in half by 2030.

National Cat Day

I'm a dog/Dawg type of guy. Cats are way too independent for my tastes. However, I do admire the athleticism of cats and especially like to watch the big cats. How many of you have cats? Any cat haters?

Edit: Hard to write this post with the censor bleeping every mention of the word s.troke.

Comments

• CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    1. My grandma recently had a **** and the hospital sent her home without a CT scan or an MRI or anything. They diagnosed her a week later when she couldn't spell, read, or remember a lot of things. She still has most of her mobility, but she has a weird wedge in her field of vision that's just black. She has regained the majority of her speech and memory, but the process is ongoing. It could have been so much worse, so we're lucky in a sense, but it's a terrible thing to see a loved one go through that.
    2. I have three dogs and three cats. All 3 were adopted from rescues or shelters and they're pretty cool. The litter box and the hair is the worst part of the gig, but they're not as aloof as other cats can be and they get along perfectly with my 3 Aussies.
  • FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As to the loss of a wedge of field of view, this could be a Hollenhorst plaque. Wedge or curtain might be thought to be caused by a retinal detachment, but if that eye has normal vision (whatever that was before the wedge), then it is likely something else. And, it could be a Hollenhorst plaque, a bit of cholesterol that has broken off from a plaque elsewhere in the body, perhaps the carotid arteries, affecting a Branch Retinal Artery. Where else but DawgNation can you get this stuff out of the blue (red and black)?

• pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Cats-yes. Cat boxes-NO