Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football: If the NCAA lets athletes market their names, then what?

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited October 2019 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia football: If the NCAA lets athletes market their names, then what?

The NCAA cleared a major hurdle on Tuesday moving toward allowing athletes to market their name and likeness. How will that affect recruiting and the Georgia football program?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Mickey_HandMickey_Hand Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I wonder whether athletes would be permitted to contract with agents to market their stuff thereby placing them in competition with their schools for market share.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This ruling just destroyed recruiting. It will now be all about playing time and tv exposure. Why would a talented kid go to a school where he won't be starting from day one? This will destroy the depth of the current elite teams (UGA). Ugh, I am spitting mad over the NCAA's decision to allow this.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 369 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

the street agents are dancing in the streets right now. They will build a portfolio of car dealerships, rib shacks, lumber yards and barber shops to make sure their local guys stay at home.

• Options
    JeffSentellJeffSentell Posts: 8,563 admin
    edited October 2019

Something to remember here with this story. This is the NCAA saying (as of now) that we it start looking into ways for athletes to profit off their name, image and likeness in a way that still fits under their rules and the overall collegiate experience.

This is not the NCAA saying it is a green light and the plan is now in place.

Much interpretation, that ruling will have.

Another key misconception: This isn't about players getting paid by the NCAA or the schools. This is a first step along a path of them being able to explore their own compensation avenues to market themselves. That's just their name and likeness alone here.

• Options
    bnadawgbnadawg Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophomore

Regardless what rules the NCAA might create regarding how athletes can be paid it is just the beginning. Pandora's box is open now. So what happens if the California legislature decides those NCAA rules are too restrictive and the athletes are still being used/abused without proper compensation? Is is unreasonable to assume the California legislature and others will pass legislation allowing other kinds of compensation? It will take a few years but when does this movement stop short of developing another level of professional sports?

• Options
    The_CoachThe_Coach Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Jeff, I don't mean to be harsh... but you are thinking like the NCAA. They have a habit of solving an immediate problem while creating multiple others because they can't see the big picture. (For example, the 4-game redshirt rule was supposed to let bench-dwellers get game time. They didn't think about players bailing on their teams mid-season if they weren't happy with how things were going.)

Your article evaluates the payment for image and likeness on its merits. It neglects the fact that this will make player payment legit and above board. It doesn't matter even a little bit what #11's likeness is worth to an advertiser. What matters is what the boosters are willing to pay to get #11 to come to their school.

Changing the subject but not really- the cascade effect to non-revenue sports is going to be catastrophic.

But hey, what am I worried about? I'm sure the NCAA will come up with a system that works for everyone. Wow.

• Options
    OKDAWG64OKDAWG64 Posts: 26 ✭ Freshman

The student-athletes need to be careful what they wish for. This, if not done with A LOT of coordination and anticipation of potential issues could end very badly and destroy college athletics which will have a huge negative impact on athletes. I don't have the answers but I sure can see a ton of potential problems.

• Options
    Wozzo_the_Wonder_DogWozzo_the_Wonder_Dog Posts: 189 ✭✭✭ Junior

No more free autograph sessions. You gotta pay now.

Wonder how many college athletes the IRS will be putting in jail for failure to pay taxes? Some athletes will probably ask for cash deals but wait until bank accounts get audited (assuming that they don't spend it all immediately without leaving a paper trail). As I understand it, the universities can't offer athletes contract reviews or money management seminars unless they offer that service to all students.

I think I need to start a marketing service catering to premier college athletes so they can sell their own merchandise outside of the college bookstore.