Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

5 questions with Florida beat writer Edgar Thompson

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited October 2019 in Article commenting

image5 questions with Florida beat writer Edgar Thompson

There are two sides to every story -- and rivalry -- and Florida beat writer Edgar Thompson helped break down Saturday's Georgia game

Read the full story here

Comments

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's going to come down to who can run the ball, and who can protect the QB better.

In other words, it's going to be a grown man football kind of game. Both teams have good defenses, so both offenses will be tested.

Dawg's win, 27- 20.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All comes down to turnovers.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hope they have a good scheme for Pitts.

• KhunKhaoDawgKhunKhaoDawg Posts: 209 ✭✭✭ Junior

Dan Mullen is the better coach? I'd take Smart over mullet any day.

• 87dawg87dawg Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The fans were not booing the team. They were booing the offensinve play calling, particularly on 4th and one inch.

• GramsterGramster Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

Question 6 Edgar, do you think Kirby and his young staff got a bumm deal from the SEC by being paired against FIVE SEC teams coming off of BYE weeks while Dan was only paired against ONE SEC team coming off a BYE and was allowed to have a BYE that same week to counteract it, and as a follow up, what impact do you see this McGarrity approved scheduling disparity has on a team through the course of a 12 game season, preparation and scheme wise?

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let's be honest, UF and every official on the field beat SC. They had to come from behind in the second half to beat the same bad KY team that UGA fans gripe about a "slow start" because there was no score at half time in a monsoon but was a 21 point win.

Mullins a better coach than Kirby? In what alternate universe is that true? I'm glad UF fans think so. Mullins always has been and always will be Kirby whipping boy!

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think this is a pretty spot-on assessment of the teams and the game. In Point #2, I thought the comments from Will Muschamp were noteworthy. Anyone else think his quote -- “Dan looks at things from a defensive perspective and what gives defenses problems as opposed to running his scheme and system — this is what we do,” -- sounded like a gentle (or maybe not so gentle) dig at the Dawgs?

That "this is what we do" part is almost verbatim what we heard from Jake Fromm about our offense and kind of the team's entire outlook. We don't care what the defense does, we're going to run our scheme no matter what, and even if we lose, we we won't change a thing.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The SEC office makes the SEC schedule, the same SEC office that gave the marching orders for the UF vs. SC game, not McGarity. Teams can request open dates, but it is up to the SEC to approve them. Requests for open dates vs. UGA is an indication of where the UGA program is and how our opponents believe they need every advantage to compete with the Dawgs. Same thing happens with Bama and Saban complains about it virtually every year.

• MOSSMAN93MOSSMAN93 Posts: 44 ✭✭ Sophomore

Dan Mullen is such a good coach he didn't realize his best option at quarterback was sitting on the bench! Or, if Trask is so great, why was he on the bench?

Yes Florida beat South Carolina, and UGA didn't, BUT...they didn't mop the floor with them, OR Kentucky. And does anyone remember Florida's opening game vs. Miami? Yes, Miami of Florida, but looked more like Miami of Ohio. And UF barely squeaked by them. Their numbers aren't great, so I guess we will see, but I'm not buying a Florida win in this one.

Not to come across argumentative but perhaps you haven't completed your research, for if you had you would recognize that the last time Nick Saban (or any other SEC coach for that matter) faced such a scheduling disparity was 2010 when his Tide faced 6 SEC bye teams...made even more daunting by the fact that teams only had one bye week back then. Coincidentally, that is the last year that Nick Saban lost 3 games in a season AND, a big AND...it was the last season that Alabama was not in National Championship discussion. Do you know what else happened following that 2010 scheduling fiasco? Alabama's AD filed a written complaint against the SEC protesting the schedule and threatening retaliatory measures if that were to happen again. So while you are busy defending McGarrity perhaps he should be doing his job protecting the interests of the University of Georgia football team by bringing this scheduling injustice to light, just like Nick Saban's AD did some 9 years ago. What's even more disappointing about all of this SEC scheduling disparity is the fact that Kirby Smart was a part of that 2010 Alabama team. One would think he would have known better than to let the SEC get away with this...again. Nothing justifies the University of Florida and Auburn University facing one SEC BYE week team and Georgia facing five. Nothing justifies Florida being the only SEC team this year to also have a bye the same week their SEC opponent does. Perhaps the Florida AD is more on top of things than the Georgia AD is, and is doing his all to make sure his coach is not put at an unfair disadvantage.

^^^Previous response below was intended for ShoottheHooch's reply ^^^. I hate this dawgnation commenting format...

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@gramster I'm not going to address all your other "research" because clearly, this is an important issue to you. Please have at it. But as for your point about Florida being the only SEC team this year to also have a bye the same week as their SEC opponent, correct me if I'm wrong (which I'm sure you will) but don't both Alabama and LSU have byes this week ahead of their game against each other next Saturday? Go Dawgs!

• LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree about Mullen and Trask...I wondered the same thing as soon as Trask took the field following Franks injury...the team was a different team all of a sudden.

Because of this, Florida now is not the same team that barely and sloppily beat Miami.

I'm not ready to say they're the 6th ranked team, but I think the last two years have given them motivation to prepare and play hard to beat us.

We have the talent, for sure, to beat them...we just need the RIGHT game plan and execute it to win.

I can't bear a loss to a Mullen team who is inferior to us, talent wise.

• PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

No credibility when he said Mullen was a better coach-How is he better? He can't recruit near the level of Kirby and very few of his players would start on the Dawgs team. We do need to have some long passes to open up the defense and the ref's need to do their **** jobs when the Fl. defensive backs hold and grab our receivers.