Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National Sandwich Day / National Housewives Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Whether you stack it high or thin, National Sandwich Day on November 3rd recognizes one of America’s favorite lunch items.

The sandwich is believed to be the namesake of John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, following the claim that he was the inventor of the sandwich. No matter who invented it, we celebrate every kind of sandwich. 

While the modern sandwich is believed to be named after John Montagu, the exact circumstances of its invention and original use are the subject of debate. There is a rumor in a contemporary travel book titled Tour to London, by Pierre Jean Grosley, that formed the popular myth that bread and meat sustained Lord Sandwich at the gambling table. It is said that Lord Sandwich was a very conversant gambler and did not take the time to have a meal during his long hours playing at the card table. When hungry, he would ask his servants to bring him slices of meat between two slices of bread. This practice was a habit that was well known to his gambling friends who soon began to order “the same as Sandwich,” and from this, the sandwich was born.

N.A.M. Rodger, who wrote Sandwich’s biography, suggests that because of Sandwich’s commitment to the navy, politics, and the arts, the first sandwich was more likely to have been consumed at his work desk.

Before being known as sandwiches they were apparently referred to simply as bread and meat or bread and cheese.

What's your all-time favorite sandwich?  Mine would be a really good meatball sub with some peppers added for zest.

National Housewives Day

Hat's off to those ladies (and men) who stay home and take care of children and running a household.  Not an easy job, especially when one considers it isn't really a paid position. Salud.

Comments

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Had a grilled prime rib sandwich a few days ago. Had a bleu cheese sauce dressing, I added some sliced pickles and really enjoyed it. A great summer sandwich is a BLT with mayo. A fine non-summer sandwich is roast beef with horseradish sauce. A film talked about a cold lamb sandwich, which I have had. Also for summer is chicken salad, or tuna salad (anytime). I've enjoyed sliced (leftover) chicken with provolone, Swiss or cheddar cheese. Ham and Swiss cheese with mustard is great anytime. Probably my favorite "with cheese" sandwich.

Never big on open face sandwiches or sloppy joes, but have enjoyed the Steak'um product and provolone (or other) cheese.

I don't consider subs, hoagies, grinders, etc. as sandwiches, although they meet the basic criteria. Probably leaving off some good ones, but due to avoiding gluten, I don't eat sandwiches that often.

• CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My bride is picking up some sandwiches right now.