Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

The case for and against Georgia as the best one-loss team as College Football Playoff rankings debu

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited November 2019 in Article commenting

imageThe case for and against Georgia as the best one-loss team as College Football Playoff rankings debut

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. The case for and against Georgia as the top one-loss team as College Football Playoff rankings debut The first

Read the full story here

Comments

• GBALGBAL Posts: 739 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 2019

Vast majority of UGA fans dont have any concern about a highest ranked one loss or where UGA falls in rankings today. Only that UGA has a path to keep winning and make the CFP. This is all most fans care about and all Kirby and players care about; their only focus. Keep winning. One week at a time. All this is just noise is for the media.

edited November 2019
  • E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There's an argument to be made that Georgia does have the worst loss, but I'm not buying Riley's argument that there are no degrees to losing, putting Georgia's loss in a category all its own. Georgia's defense dominated SC, and for all the complaints about the offense, they did put up about 470 yards. If not for the 4 turnovers, including (I think) the only pick 6 of Fromm's career, Georgia wins that game easily.

I'm not suggesting that it wasn't a bad loss. It was. But the argument is comparative. It's not just that OU gave up 48 points, it's that they were getting blown out until they broke out the t.urd polish in the fourth quarter. So what's worse? A flukey loss to a bad team, or getting thoroughly outplayed by a decent team? You could say the former and I couldn't prove you wrong, but it's certainly debatable.

Oh, and the comparison to Ohio State's loss to Purdue is not accurate. What'd they lose by, 30? We will have to hope the committee won't be so flippant, but I think it's safe to say that if the Dawgs win out, the one loss won't be keeping them out.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I get that winning is the only thing that matters, but don't forget how close Clemson came to losing to a 4-5 UNC Team with 3 of those wins being 3-4 points. Don't forget that Bama gave up: 23 points to Carolina, 31 points to Ole Miss (3-6) and 28 points to Texas A&M. LSU gave up 38 points to Texas and 38 points to Vandy (!).

The good (and bad) thing about Georgia's schedule is the difficulty. If we finish the year and SEC championship game with only 1 loss, there will be little question we belong in the Top 4. The only real question is whether we'd make it there with a close loss in the SEC championship game with some luck from other teams losing. Probably not.

• RGBRGB Posts: 172 ✭✭✭ Junior

Dawgs have beat 2 top 10 teams and Bama has beat ?????

• DGDinNYCDGDinNYC Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Last year we lost on the road to LSU and lost on the last second prayer to Bama and didn't get in. This year we lost at home to a team that's likely not going to be bowl eligible. If we don't win the conference there's no chance we get in.

Yep, Should be No question about it to anyone. Confrence championship is the only path for UGA into the CFP.

• HootiePepperHootiePepper Posts: 18 ✭✭ Sophomore

We all know that the media, the committee, and anyone supporting an SEC West team will offer zero love for the Dawgs in the coming CFP considerations. Unlike last year when it appeared that UGA coaches and players felt entitled to the CFP while entering and losing the Sugar Bowl, I am hoping that they remain a team with a chip on their shoulder. Ignore the noise, embrace the naysayers to create a larger chip, and GATA for the rest of the season and beyond. That begins against a saw-toothed performing but dangerous Mizzou team on Sat-deh. Go Dawgs!!!

• EvalDawgEvalDawg Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

One thing is for sure. I would rather pick knits than nits.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The only ranking that matters is the last one. We knew before the season that the only way for UGA to get in the playoffs was as SEC Champion. From the start, the only way the SEC gets two teams in is if Bama doesn't win the SEC.

• tomdatltomdatl Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophomore

Win out and UGA is in.

UGA 12 & 1 SEC champs

Bama 12 &1

LSU 11 & 1

Total chaos

OS one loss

Penn state on loss

Oregon one loss

Clemson 12 & 0 against no one.

OK one loss

How does a committee come up with a true top 4.

Need 8 team playoff.

• HunkerDawgHunkerDawg Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ Junior

"Seeing as how?"

I hate to do this but writing is your profession.

Try "since," "because," or "as."

• Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We have to win every game from this point forward. Period.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Currently, we are battling against the loser of the LSU-Bama game. As it stands right now, a one-loss Bama or LSU team will be in the playoffs before we do - even if we win out. We MUST win all remaining games - including the SEC Championship - to have a chance at the playoffs. One stumble, even against GT, and we are out.

Our best hope to get in is to keep winning and have either Bama or LSU lose (2) games. This assumes OSU and Clemson win out. Our resume beats Oregon and Oklahoma's resume hands down if we win the rest of our games.

Win out and we're IN. It's pretty simple.

GO DAWGS!!!

• PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Have a question-A What If?? If Georgia loses one more game to Auburn or Texas A&M by small margin- Very close game. Then wins the SEC Championship--Would they keep Georgia out of the playoffs?

"How does committee come up with a true top 4" ????

They cant!!! Just like they wouldnt be able to come up with a "True top 8".

Think where we came from... a committee/formula/computer that attempted to pick a "true top 2". How confident are you that they always got it right? Not very??? And the true best team may have been left out on occasion.

Always be a question but with 4, I can and have been confident that the "true top 2-3" made the field field each year and eventual true best team shakes out on the field. If we went to 8, which I am for, I would be confident that the "true top 5 ,6, or 7 teams" make it into the field and an eventual "true champion" shakes out at the end (as long as it not determined by confrence champions get auto slot). Always a question on the borderline teams... Always! You can never use the term "TRUE Best 4, or 8" make the field. But if you have a level of confidence that the field does capture the best teams, a "true champ" shakes out at the end.

edited November 2019
  • tomdatltomdatl Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophomore

That is my point no way to pick the actual top 4, go to 8 and you very likely have the top 4 somewhere but of course the seeding will probably be off. The main goal is to make sure you have the actual top 3 or 4 teams to have an oppportunity to play and then it just has to play out.

I am not so positive you even can guarantee you have the #1 team in a selection of only 4 teams, especially in the scenario I laid out. Very possible whomever is listed at 5 or 6 is actually #1.