Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Wall Street Journal Article on IMG

ReeldawgReeldawg Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There is an interesting article on IMG, now owned by William Morris talent agency, in the business section of today’s paper.

I can’t link to it as I am a subscriber and when I use a search engine to find the article it opens in my app so there is no link to give. A google search will get you there if you want to read the article.

The news piece really just outlines the history and future of IMG and the future of entertainment and youth sports. Definitely worth a read.

Didn’t realize IMG cost over 75k a year. That’s more than Harvard.

Comments

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can't believe IMG is allowed to exist as a high school.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

they aren't allowed to compete for championships in FL...it's really just an extension of the Bollitieri tennis school that used to be there...just expanded to other sports. It's kind of an interesting place. Parents can come and live on campus, keeping some families together. the academics are as good as the average HS in FL. All in all a pretty good deal for the kids that get scholarships there.

@donm said:

@pgjackson said:

they aren't allowed to compete for championships in FL...it's really just an extension of the Bollitieri tennis school that used to be there...just expanded to other sports. It's kind of an interesting place. Parents can come and live on campus, keeping some families together. the academics are as good as the average HS in FL. All in all a pretty good deal for the kids that get scholarships there.

In my opinion it represents everything that is wrong with sports today. Why spend $75K a year to get a $30K/yr college scholarship? They shouldn't be allowed to play any HS teams. Such an unfair and dangerous advantage over regular schools. It's basically a small college that plays HS teams.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@donm said:

@pgjackson said:

In my opinion it represents everything that is wrong with sports today. Why spend $75K a year to get a $30K/yr college scholarship? They shouldn't be allowed to play any HS teams. Such an unfair and dangerous advantage over regular schools. It's basically a small college that plays HS teams.

There’s plenty of private high schools that recruit players. IMG is just the most notorious because of their emphasis on football. There’s good public school teams that give IMG a decent game. And I imagine they have scholarships bringing down that 75k price tag. Also, people pay this as they have an eye on their kid going pro, not for the collegiate scholarship.

• ReeldawgReeldawg Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2017

As many former NFL players attest, if you can play they (NFL) will find you.

The odds of joining an NFL team are slim. If I had a child who excelled at sports, I would rather them go to Pace, Woodward or Marist.

These schools have adequate sports facilities but provide an excellent education.

Note - I can’t list all private schools with solid sports programs. My apologies if I missed your alma mater.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@pgjackson said:

They do, on occasion, lose to HS teams, most often to other teams that recruit..

@Teddy said:

@pgjackson said:

@donm said:

@pgjackson said:

There’s plenty of private high schools that recruit players. IMG is just the most notorious because of their emphasis on football. There’s good public school teams that give IMG a decent game. And I imagine they have scholarships bringing down that 75k price tag. Also, people pay this as they have an eye on their kid going pro, not for the collegiate scholarship.

Big time private schools like Bishop Gorman and Mater Dey are nothing like IMG. it's a boarding schooll devoted to football. You don't even have to be a resident of the state to go there. I seriously question their academic standards as well. If Im paying $75K a year for my son to play High School football and get a college scholarship and a shot at the NFL, i don't want to hear about any academic issues. Those kids aren't going to IMG for the amazing academics.