Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football: The big recruiting question from the 27-point loss to LSU

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited December 2019 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia football: The big recruiting question from the 27-point loss to LSU

What was the big Georgia football recruiting trail issue coming out of the 27-point loss to LSU in the SEC Championship game? It had to be the way that Georgia has to amplify its depth and overall talent level at one specific position

Read the full story here

Comments

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2019

Robertson made all 26 of his career catches at Georgia this season? Robertson made all 26 of his career catches at Georgia, this season.. He made 57 catches at California, after being injured the 2nd game of his sophomore season, and received a medical redshirt. Transferred to UGA and posted 26 receptions.. 83 total career receptions. Funny how a missing comma restructures the entire meaning of a sentence. I understand the point you were conveying. Call it nitpicking if you wish, but without the comma, it states he has 26 career catches total, and all were made at UGA, true enough..but 57 receptions at Cal are also included career receptions.

And Matt Landers has proven that his 3* rating was spot on.

• MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We understand the W/R issue and the recruitment and development needs to be upgraded. What a lot of us don't understand is what happened to Fromm? While he had some dropped balls he missed badly on a number of occasions. He seemed shaky at times, indecisive, lack of confidence, missed reads and progressions. Did the wide receiver shortage cause all those issues for Jake? This offense never found a rhythm all year.

You guys could do some digging, ask some tough questions. Was he undercoached, could he have had a nagging injury, was there still a potentially divided locker room because of the Fields transfer? Inquiring minds would like to know why a QB as highly rated as Jake Fromm couldn't take more of a command of his offense. Finally, is CKS going to make any tweaks other than having to replace Pittman, if not we may be looking at a similar result next year.

• MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You guys have been telling us the same thing pretty much all year, we would like to hear something different, maybe answers as to what you think about these questions.

• GBALGBAL Posts: 739 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Good piece here.... However many will still continue to throw Jake under the bus as they have all season.

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great article @JeffSentell. Puts so much into perspective.

• ByrdManByrdMan Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

This pretty much sums up the 2019 season. Great piece and brings to a lot of information together.

• williewolfwilliewolf Posts: 58 ✭ Freshman

So,: now that we've taken a whipping from the Bi-U Bengals we are asked to support our beloved team "way down yonder in New Orleans." If it isn't nauseating enough to even think about Fatcat Ogeron and Smuggly Joe if we want to go to the bowl game we have to endure a trip to the Super Swamp and put up with all that chatter from short little coonasses who think they own the world because they can bag a gator. Since the national championship is being played at da Sugah Bowl why can't we have another Peach Bowl and stay at home and play Baylor or any other insignificant opponent?

• kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yes the coaching I think is the main problem with the WR room. It seemed like anyone past 5th spot on the chart were just position holders. We have all the talent in the world, but there should be teaching also. And as far as Fromm goes, supposedly, don't quote me, I think he's been dealing with a rotator cup problem since the florida game. I seen something on one of the boards. If that's true, he shouldn't have been playing. Why risk someone's future just to save face? And make him look worse for all the country to see. I hope it isn't true. But we need a severe upgrade at WR coaching. And I think kirby needs to stop with the whole "he's a great recruiter", we need COACHES. UGA has top tier talent and we look pedestrian most of the time.

• westlcwestlc Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

Great work Jeff with statisical explanation of what happened this year. A couple more statistics I would like to see from this group is targets vs catches, drops, yards after catch and routes run incorrectly. I believe alot of the throws Jake made that looked like gross misses were actually poor routes run by the receivers. Lots of work to be done for sure with this group. Hope we have the right coach to get it done.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How does one answer them? More 3 and 4-star recruits at WR? You simply won't get many 5-stars with a wood chopping program. Send Matt Luke out to the harvest fields and gather up all the RBs he can and receivers...any receivers? UGA gets the linemen nod most times. Luke will be as good as the Pit-Man...in time. You have to have a vision for what sort of team you want to field. Recruits look at how they can fit as quickly as possible into that vision/ program using their skill set and some commit to an LSU, Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, for the creds they have...making them look good to the NFL. Recruiting is a tough business. Personality has much to do with it also. These kids are young, 18 yrs oid mostly. They are mercurial. They may have friends on a parrticular team they want to follow. Simple things like that. Mom and dad are a strong influence as are siblings. On and on......Smart is at a crossroads year. I say transitional. Continue business as usual and the tean will falter as many have in the SEC. Football is evolving. Smart needs to have vision...I believe he will as he now knows that he may have to progress beyond the wood choppers....into the age of more complex systems. Only my myopic take.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What was the difference in Burrow this year compared to last? Two of his three elite, SEC quality WRs , Chase and Marshall, were freshmen.

What is the difference in Fromm this year to last? Two of his three elite, SEC quality WRs are freshmen. Experience matters!

Experienced, elite WRs are physically developed and know how to get off the LOS in press coverage and feast on man-to-man...a problem all year for the Dawgs! (Neither Pickens nor Blaylock were early enrollees and played this year in the SEC with high school bodies). Experienced , elite WRs don't run deep routes to where the DB can easily press them to the sideline to where the only place to deliver the ball will result in a catch out-of-bounds...a problem all year for the Dawgs.

The doom and gloomers will be wrong about next year just like they were this year when they were predicting Texas on the way up and UGA on the way down.

So you caught that too.. I told my Girlfriend, a 6'5 WR just let a 5'11 DB take him completely out of his route and out of bounds. Credit to the LSU DB though, played as drawn up, use the sideline as an extra defender, and he did just that.

• zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

These are all great stats, but you're overlooking the key ingredient to a successful vertical passing attack: You need a QB who can deliver the ball in stride to increase yards after catch. Fromm was not that QB, at least not this year. He missed too many wide open guys and in some cases, didn't survey the field enough to even find the wide open guy. He had DRob wide open in the first quarter of the LSU game and missed badly. Fromm seemed to force balls where he shouldn't -- how many times did we see him overthrow, throw behind or have his guys diving to dig the ball out of the dirt? On the flip-side, Burrow effortlessly did what great QB's are supposed to do. In what world a few years ago would anyone have ever guessed that Joe Burrow would outperform Jake Fromm? Seems like Burrow was coached up and Fromm maybe wasn't...but something with Fromm doesn't add up.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good article and really let’s you appreciate the tough season Fromm has had to endure. I’m amazed he held our team together during the past 4 months with almost all of his good targets not playing. Great job Jake....you’re a true leader. Go Dawgs

• HerschelsDailySoupHerschelsDailySoup Posts: 36 ✭✭ Sophomore

It seems like more of a development issue than a recruiting issue to me. It stated right there in the article, LSU signed 5 top 150 WRs since 2016 as did UGA. We've got guys that were once considered elite WRs (D Rob, Bush, Webb...) that have not produced at the position as Georgia players. Meanwhile the LSU guy that did the most damage to us is a former 3 star.

To some extent you can mark up poor character choices to development too. If Pickens doesn't punch the tech DB and Holloman doesn't punch his girlfriend (yes, I realize the later is WAY worse) then we have those two guys against LSU and the WR corps looks much better.

I think we have/are getting the guys, we just need some better development and better injury/discipline luck and we'll be right there with the top dogs. That and Fromm working out of his junior slump over the off season...

• jamboogiejamboogie Posts: 186 ✭✭✭ Junior

while this article focuses on WR's, we didn't exactly burn up the woods throwing to TE's either. I suspect that we could use a little professional help in teaching folks to run routes and get open. Then perhaps you can make an honest opinion on whether Fromm is doing his job adequately.

• SWP04SWP04 Posts: 19 ✭ Freshman

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah . . . . excuses, excuses, excuses.

LSU was probably in a worse position than us 4 years ago and look at where they are now. We've recruited great players and had better recruiting classes than LSU over that time. Is looks to me like there's no development on offense. Get rid of Coley and get somebody who has new "spread" ideas but still respects the use of a pro style offense (oh wait, that's what LSU did).

How many times did you hear - lets used the TE more, get playmakers out in space more, Use Cook more? What part of the word "more" do they not understand because I don't see that it really ever changed much.

I'm tired of excuses - this is the same ol' UGA that we had under Richt. Can't win the big games!

Change it , make it better, coach em' up and get it done! Don't want to hear any more talk. Just do it!