Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football: The big recruiting question from the 27-point loss to LSU

Comments

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Here it is folks. Laid all out with facts. This is the reason we had a very good season, and not a great one. Honestly... we might of overachieved as a whole on the year. We just took way to much attrition all at one time in this one spot. So chin up Dawgs, the sky ain't falling. Kirby knows the issue. Time to go get some dudes.

• diesel_7diesel_7 Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

Good info. For some reason WR has been Georgia's achilles heel, just as QB has been LSU's for years. Hopefully Georgia can find a way to get over the WR hump as LSU did at QB.

PS - Yes, Burrow was there last year but didn't blossom until this year. Credit him, the OC, or both, but they finally got it all together. Hopefully Georgia can do the same one day.

• joelljoell Posts: 34 ✭ Freshman

Agree completely with zonadawg61 post. I like Fromm but he may have reached his ceiling. Compare his ability to extend plays with his feet to Burrows, Lawrence, Hurts & that guy at Ohio State. I watched a rerun of the LSU game. The first interception could have possibly been a TD had Fromm led the receiver correctly & it certainly would not have been a pick. On the 2nd pick the ball did not have enough mustard on it.

Can Fromm actually throw a football fifty yards? And the ball velocity seems sooo slow. The receivers have issues and so does Jake Fromm

Not trashing Fromm, but let's don't blame it ALL on the WR's. Fromm was off on a LOT of his throws...either behind, over or low. He's got some soul searching (and practice) to do this off-season.

Burrow's balls were on target, Fromm's weren't. You don't have to like it... I don't care, but it's the truth.

• ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Thanks Jeff, our chickens came home to roost this season. We've under recruited, and under developed our WR corp for too long and this season we paid for those mistakes. yes, the early departures of Nauta, Hardman, etc hurt, but the death blow was the dismissal of JJ. A program like ours should never be so thin at any position like we are at WR.

• GBALGBAL Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

When I watched the SECCG, it appeared, on several occasions, the LSU receivers were WIDE open due to scheme. There were crossing patterns, slants, etc, were their receiver wasn't even covered. They mixed it up too by including the TEs.

I completely understand that we took a loss at the receiver position this year, but NO roster is perfect. The article would suggest that we need 5 star players at every position 2-3 deep. Nobody team has that - not even Alabama with all their consecutive #1 classes.

Having said this, the injuries we sustained during the game were very impactful, and the lack of depth at the receiver position exposed us against LSU. But it should not have exposed us most of the season. We need to do better making adjustments to our game plan(s), strategies, and that falls on the coaches. Fromm too, for whatever reason, seems to have lost some of his accuracy compared to previous years.

The sky is not falling however, as some folk might think. Kirby's still a young coach and he is still learning. My confidence in him has not wavered.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You mean like the ball Fromm threw in the SC game that hit Simmons in the hands that turned into an interception that could have very well cost the Dawgs an undefeated season. Or, in the same game, the throw that was thrown to the correct spot but the receiver ran the wrong route and turned into an interception. Fromm wasn't perfect nor was Burrow. We'll get to see next year if a year's experience and physical deevelopment of Pickens and Dom if he's healthy makes a difference in Fromm. There are two years of experience when Fromm was one of the most accurate passers in college football that indicate an emphatic "YES"!

• ReddenBlaqueReddenBlaque Posts: 18 ✭ Freshman

You can bring in three five stars at WR, it does no good if you have a one dimensional QB who is physically limited as a thrower. Three years of watching Fromm miss wide open downfield receivers. Even when he hits those plays the receiver has had to slow down or even come to a complete stop to wait on Fromm's pass to get to him.

Fromm has a lot of intangibles that make for a great QB but he doesn't have the physical abilities. He originally committed to Alabama. If he had kept that commitment, he would still be the backup. That's what he is. A good, emergency backup QB who did a good job of being a good, emergency backup QB while getting out of the way of two all time great RBs and a defense that regularly set him up with great field position.

In the second half of last year's SECCG Alabama created the book that teams now use on him. Make him throw into tight windows. Make him beat you over the top. He can't do it and therefore teams aren't made to pay for stacking the box against the run.

Maybe a spread oriented offense would suit him better. Tim Tebow didn't have the greatest arm in the world either but Florida was able to have a lethal passing game with him at QB. But Tebow had the threat of running to counteract a lot of defenses. That's not a part of Fromm's game, although he is actually a good runner when he needs to be, so maybe that wouldn't work either.

• DoggoneDoggone Posts: 100 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2019

For some reason the pattern, whether it is the result of a breakdown at WR, QB, OL, RB or coaching, the Dawgs have not shown that they can "execute," finish the drill in the big games. They've been able to jump out ahead or stay close but for some reason when the second half comes around it has been a fizzle. Have not been able to solve that riddle. Maybe one day someone will.

• MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hooch, you picked two examples from the same game. I don't want to throw Fromm under the bus, I would just like some real reporting on the problems we had.

Jake wasn't helped by his receivers but I would wager he missed as many throws as the receivers had drops or missed routes. I would like to see these DawgNation reporters be a little more inquisitive about Fromm's struggles this year. If it's inadequate coaching which I believe it was to some degree then I would like to see Smart make some tweaks, and maybe he will yet. We had a previous coach who didn't have the backbone to make coaching changes when they were necessary, let's hope history doesn't repeat itself.

The responsibility for the play of the position group lie at the feet of the position coach and the coordinator. I have heard ZERO accountability on the subject DawgNation reporters.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Poor Jake, receivers couldn't get separation and when they did he either over/under threw them or they just flat out dropped it. Comedy of errors. You fall behind like we did and he started pressing and making poor throws as in the two interceptions.

• BibbCountyDawgBibbCountyDawg Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

Joe Burrows was all-world, Jake Fromm was anything but. It's as simple as that. Give Joe B the same receivers Jake Fromm has and the results would be the same. No, the WR corps is not great at UGA, but neither are the LSU receiving corps as a whole. No, the WR corps is not the problem, Jake Fromm is the problem. Joe Burrow made his group of receivers look better than they are. That's what a great QB does. A great QB makes the players around him better. Jake Fromm cannot elevate the players around him. It's as simple as that.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2019

Player development and coaching are a BIG part of why we continue to come up short every season.

What would Fields have been able to do this season in our offense? Probably been successful but limited based on our play calling, play makers, and conservative offensive strategy. He fit with OSU immediately and has been very successful.

Fromm is so darn limited in his throws and his play making ability since he is such a one dimensional QB. Other than Trevor Lawrence, all other (3) QBs in the playoffs are dual-threat QBs. I really believe in college football it is almost imperative to have a dual threat QB that is a very good passer as well as big enough and strong enough to be a threat to run the football. In which case, defenses MUST defend against that threat.

Bottom line: We can't be such a one-dimensional run heavy offense that teams can simply load the box and stuff us. That happened too many games this season. We've got to become more dynamic in our game plans. We may not get the best receivers in the country, but with player development & better coaching we should be able to keep teams guessing when they play us.

• UGADAWG4LifeUGADAWG4Life Posts: 273 ✭✭✭ Junior

TE and WR are areas we must improve in ! We need a upgrade in OC a proven OC that has called plays in the SEC ! Coley has to be demoted but kept around. He is a great recruiter. I wish we could of got Mike Bobo !

The difference in Joe Burrow a year ago to now is that Offensive scheme ! He improved because LSU finally went to the SPREAD and installed RPOs

• osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 378 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Sorry, y'all. I skipped everything. Normally, I read the whole article, jump down to the bottom of the comments, and work up from there. This happened, though, and I just needed answers.

"Robertson made all 26 of his career catches at Georgia this season. His four catches for 52 yards was second on the team in both categories against LSU."

Robertson made 26 catches this season.

Robertson made 4 catches for 52 yards.

Were these 4 catches part of the 52? They have to be, right? Otherwise, why are we talking about Robertson? How did they fit in, though? Why are we focusing on those 4 in the middle of the other 22? It's weird.

Don't even know how to conclude this, except to say that I'm jumping back up now, to read the rest of the article.

• bmarxbmarx Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

There has been much written about the loss of all those receivers last year but I'm still waiting to hear an explanation that matches up with what we all saw on the field this year. We lost some really talented guys from last year's squad but the offense we put on the field this year wasn't even mediocre. I hear that Fromm may have had low confidence in the 2019 receivers but that does not explain the horrendous throws that happened game after game. Balls in the dirt, balls in the 3rd row, staring down receivers, even some completions where the receiver had to reach back to gather a ball in that was behind them. Could it be that maybe the receivers lost a little confidence in Fromm?

We need WRs !! JUCO guys, Prep School, Grad Transfers and immediate transfers ! Cortez Hankton is a great coach !