Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Jake Fromm announces 2020 NFL Draft decision

Comments

• Options
    randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

Would have loved to have Fromm back for next year, but he probably made the right decision for him. A better next year for him would not have improved his draft status that much. However, really poor planning and execution for Kirby to let UGA get into this situation without a proven backup ready to go. At least Bama has that...we don't. Next year may be a transition year as a result......and what the heck with Mayes? Not a good look for Luke and for the OL.

• Options
    chilidawg1chilidawg1 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭ Junior

I wish Jake well. I wonder if Kirby would not commit to opening up the offense. I must say that I'm surprised, but as my wife tells me it's only a game. Go Dawgs.

• Options
    tomdatltomdatl Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophomore

Did not expect that, some big shoes to fill, but my guess is Kirby knew this for some time.

This is what Kirby makes millions, to overcome things like this, needs to earn his money. We just need to have faith that he and his staff are going to handle it. No reason to cry over it as we are just Fans and along for the ride.

Don't need a superstar just somebody that does not put us in negative plays.

Have to learn quick with Bama in the 3rd week and Auburn week 6.

• Options
    DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

Perhaps we should consider K.J. Costello, of Stanford. Great college stats thus far, and playing for Stanford, you know he has brains.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Thank you Jake for three great years! May you and yours be blessed in the next chapter of your life.

I hope I am wrong but I believe Fromm will truly regret the decision to not return for one more year. He just passed up an amazing opportunity to make history.

Next QB up! Let's Go Dawgs!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have to rethink Luke's effectiveness now. This is a major red mark on him. I thought he was better than his predecessor? These players have dfferent ideas about things than we fans. Cade just may not have synced with Luke. Cade will also want to advance his pro status and grade....not likely now with Fromm bailing. Maybe LSU will pick him up. Kick us in the teeth real good.

I have mentioned Costello also. He is a good one.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2020

Good luck to Jake. He was a great QB for the Dawgs.

SO, we've got (3) scholarship QBs and everyone is panicking? I don't get it. Sure, they don't have much if any playing time but neither did Fromm when he had to step in and replace Eason. Last I checked we almost won a Natty that year...

Have faith Dawg fans...if CKS feels like we need to reach out in the transfer portal for a potentially better QB then so be it. That's why he gets paid a lot more than me. Player development and coaching are as important as raw talent....maybe more so.

I will say whomever the QB is next season, he'd better be able to scramble and throw accurate passes. If we don't start immediately using all the quality WRs we got right now then they will just leave.

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think I'm going to do more fishing this year. Don't get me wrong, love the Dawgs but it's just a game. Shopping for a bigger boat already. That $3000 I spent on going to the SECCG would have made a couple of payments.

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think Jake is making a huge mistake. We have seen Jake play for 3 years now and let's face it, he doesn't have the NFL caliber arm or legs to make it at the next level. Just wait until we see his numbers at the combine. He is probably on a practice squad next year or at best, holding a clip-board on the sideline.

He had the opportunity to do something really special at Georgia next year because he can be a really great college quarterback. Next season was set up for him to possibly win another SEC CG and maybe make the playoffs. Now, if a new QB is able to come in and accomplish all these goals, he is going to have egg on his face standing on the sidelines in the NFL. Oh well.

Dawgs are still loaded on defense and a new QB will have a lot of weapons at his disposal to move the offense. Coley will be better with a year's experience under his belt and with former HC Luke on board to rely on. If anything, the offense has the chance to be better next year.

Best of luck to you Jake. You won a lot of games as a Dawg and I will always appreciate what you did for the team.

• Options
    DoggoneDoggone Posts: 100 ✭✭✭ Junior

Hope he does well at the next level. We have had some very good qbs go pro but not be able to land a starting position, Matt Stafford the exception. This frees us up at this position and who knows what we may pick up in the TP?

• Options
    JoeFannJoeFann Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

Good luck, Mr. Fromm, and thanks for being such a DGD! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I personally think Fromm is making a mistake, but if so, he has the right to make that mistake. I wouldn't automatically count us out of the playoffs, either. I'm sure we all thought that very thing the day Jacob Eason went down and Fromm came in to replace him. The next thing you know, we're one bad defensive play away from being National Champions (that will forever be the play I can't get over).

The following year, true freshman Trevor Lawrence took over at Clemson and we all saw where they ended up.

This year, unproven sophomore, Justin Fields, took OSU to the brink of the National Championship game.

So let's not give up all hope. I acknowledge it looks bleak with the loss of both starting tackles, the top 2 tailbacks and our go-to receiver in addition to our veteran QB. But let's play out the season and just see how things go because the one thing we absolutely know for sure is that UGA will field a team for the 2020 season. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby needs to hold a conference and explain what is happening at UGA? That probably would make him look weak. I can say most felt Fromm would stay.....but even he got NFL fever. Mays can be and is replaceable...Fromm not so much. However, I am reminded of one cold wet night in KY when Fromm complained he could not throw a wet ball??? Glove on or off. Thought this would keep him from the NFL..they must have a magic glove.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2020

On the positive side, the Dawgs have to be the front runner for Brock Vandagriff. Right? I hope the possibility of Jake leaving is the reason he is no longer committed to OU. He would be a great player to build a class around and a hometown hero from Bogart! Brock would be the perfect early Christmas present on early signing day December, 2020!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good luck Jake. Just like Holyfield of last year (who did not get drafted and has fight his way onto a roster), I think this is a mistake.

The article spells out all of the WR issues we had, so why would you want to be graded based on that? NFL experts all say that he "doesn't have elite talent", so it's not going to be one of those where they are willing to ignore his college stats. I'm no draft expert, but I would THINK that they would choose the more upside: Eason with his 4 inch height advantage and far more powerful arm (and legacy). I can't imagine the Combine will benefit him (other than intelligence).

Had Fromm decided to stay, there would've been a much higher likelihood for a good passing offense and a better chance to show off.

No way he gets picked in rounds 1 or 2 and I'm thinking that he'll wind up around where Murray did in the 5th round.

Good luck though.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yeah I firmly believe that he is gonna end up like David Greene/Aaron murray. Outstanding college player. Moves to pros and gets stuck behind a solid starter and NFL dream evaporates after a few seasons. I hope not, I really do. I have loved Fromm ever since he took over for Eason. But maybe, just maybe, Kirby got someone lined up and gave Jake the go ahead. Guess we'll have to wait and see how the rest of the week works out.