Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Report: Georgia offensive lineman Cade Mays enters NCAA transfer portal

Comments

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

What in the world is happening?

• Options
    DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

Everyone is freaking out with Fromm, and then Mayes, leaving the program. Relax - inhale slowly. Good. Now, exhale slowly. Repeat until your blood pressure drops to normal (or close). At sixty-two, I, a UGA graduate, have seen a lot of football. The ship is not sinking. We have plenty of talent on the offensive line, and will get a good QB through the transfer portal, should we wish. It is all about coaching and recruiting. We have a great coach who is an even better recruiter (same as Saban) who is surrounded by great recruiters. We will be fine - if you stop hyperventilating, for fans we need, if only to have the money it takes to hire and keep good coaches.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Makes zero sense and I'm pissed off.

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

OK all you "chicken littles". You can't predict the future, why worry about it? It's only a game....

• Options
    DrinkkoDrinkko Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Feels like Jeremy Pruit has his fingerprints all over Mayes transfer portal move.

• Options

That's what you call purely reacting with emotion, he's sitting out a year with one year left. Not a very smart decision IMO.

• Options

Love some of the positive attitudes, JimDawg, and others. Things can change quickly, for the better....

• Options

Surprising we haven't heard the "crushing" news about Evans on DawgNation.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dawg365......Herschel Walker regretted not coming back for his senior year....true. Heisman and natthy winner!!!! Fromm just wanted out...as most of the team and receivers are totally new. Fromm was at the end of his college days not the beginning. But, you can bank it that he talked it out with Smart first. So Smart has known for some time. Hitting the transfers. They keep a lot from us outsiders..we are definitely some of the last to know...lol I do believe we will likely lose at least three games maybe more. Just thinking. Kirby will be on the hot seat again. NCAA football is mercurial to say the least....you cannot bank on anyone! Very little loyalty except to the NFL.

• Options
    DoggoneDoggone Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior

Now this one was more disappointing than Fromm's exit.

• Options
    JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

While I'm not a chicken little, this one does hurt. Sounds like a family decision, but whatever the motivation, all this OL depth is being put to the test.

• Options
    BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

This one makes no sense. He likely would graduate in Dec or soon thereafter and would be potentially a top draft pick in 2021. Again, this may be more with house cleaning that CKS started after the LSU game. I personally feel Pittman moving on was a good thing. As CKS said after the Sugar Bowl, he felt the O-line had under performed all season. I think that's been the case for four years.

• Options
    Dawgs2015Dawgs2015 Posts: 18 ✭ Freshman

He will probably seek to be eligible to play this year. Since his position coach left?

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Coach Luke has said he wants the OL to become more athletic and that is very good thing. That could very well be the reason for Cade's decision. The thing about road graders is they only move well in one direction...straight ahead. Very seldom did the Dawgs have numbers at the point of attack this year. Broderick Jones will be the perfect LT in Luke's scheme!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It'd be interesting to know what REALLY happens behind the closed doors. You never know on these type of things. Just like it's always best to be "laid off" vs "fired", it's always viewed as a players decision... but it might be that Mays was told that he wasn't going to start as part of a quicker-more-mobile OL. Who knows.

• Options
    diesel_7diesel_7 Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

That was unexpected. Just curious... did this happen right after Fromm announced he's leaving? Is he home sick?? Strange.

• Options
    diesel_7diesel_7 Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

You're right in 'you never know what happens behind closed doors', but I don't believe Mays would be told he's not starting at this point... I mean, spring practice hasn't even started. With all of the O-line attrition, they really need Mays as an anchor on the O-line. I do agree that our O-line as a whole was oversized & couldn't get out of stance quick enough to dictate where the run was going, but one lineman isn't going to make or break the philosophy of the O-line.

• Options
    Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

No offense and no football teams (2020) campaign can sustain the attrition that as transpired over the last 5 weeks on the offensive side of the ball...

We will be replacing 8 starters and 3 or 4 heavily rotated players this fall and potentially even one more Off Lineman (Big Ben)

Do you want proof of what happened this past year on our supposed dominant offense.... Please reference the two starting receivers and one starting TE that bolted early into the league along with a 2nd string half starter running back named Holyfield. .... This past years painful offense was dreadful and at times an incompetent attempt at keeping up with competitors fast changing and high scoring Off machines.... Ie. LSWHO!

Reality of the know:

1. NO QB on the roster with ANY MEANINGFUL playing time: A former walk- on who received a scholly due to no other choices but him to sign, a former 4 star with a health situation unknown to all minus his family and the team, and a high 4 star Freshman on campus with zero PT. You cannot deny this is a desperate situation and Kirby will have to pull gold out of a place where the sun don't shine DAWG alumni and fans....it's a bleak situation today no doubt about it!
    2. Running Backs: Zeus... can he step up and be a every down type of back with two major knee repairs? He has improved but as we all know...there are questions marks. A junior who has played but can number #4 make the transition to a full time back? A soph with great potential but almost no first string reps and a true Freshman.... I know my gut tells me this is a good group backs with tons of upside but in Kirby's 5th season there are huge questions with this group simply stated.
    3. Offensive line: DEPLETED STARTING 1st STRING is the only word one can describe UGA's vaunted once Great Wall as of Wed Jan 8th 2020!. Who is left with reps.... We got one starter returning Trey Hill (Center) and two rotating guys Salyer and an unknown with Ben Cleveland who basically dropped out of school this fall and now is academically ineligible to play. He is a crap shoot if he ever plays another down. Are their highly regarding current roster players and not yet signed Off Lineman available? Yes, but folks as we all know.... experience matters and our Off line in 2020 is not going to have much in that area....a painfully sober FACT!
    4. TE... A deserted unit with almost zero experience.... The kid form Marist played but did he do anything other than block? The other TE from Cobb tore his knee two years ago and has zero PT I think and an huge up- side TE from the desert of NV.... Oh boy is this a great way to go into 2020.... I would say NOT!
    5. Finally the .... Receiver Corp. We go one stud (Pickens), a number 16 who has shown almost zero as a BullDawg vs.h is Fresh year out WEST production credits...where is that player? I will be waiting for him to drop another ball! Another starter that has a torn up knee...we all know first year returns are not that great but 2nd years are better. a few other rotating route runners with a bag of inconsistency amongst all of them. Yes, 3 or 4 big time receivers with a great upside.... can they step up in Mercedes vs. VA and two weeks later inside Bryant Denny or with AUB in town early Oct?

Right now today the East has become a 4 horse race.... UF, UT, SC (All three hv returning QB's) and UGA . Yes are DEF will be a machine but Def's don't win championships anymore.... High scoring OFF's DO and as of today our offense is in SHAMBLES!!!

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 415 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

OK so Bleacher Report says Cade's Dad is suing UGA and a chair manufacturer. Apparently, Cade had his pinky partially amputated when he got it caught in a folding chair at a UGA event. He's expected to transfer to Tennessee. Could this day get any stranger?