Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

ESPN analyst Todd McShay projecting Jake Fromm in 2020 NFL Draft first round

SystemSystem Posts: 7,417 admin
edited January 2020 in Article commenting

imageESPN analyst Todd McShay projecting Jake Fromm in 2020 NFL Draft first round

ATHENS  — Jake Fromm's NFL stock figures to rise and fall throughout the draft process, depending on the evaluation  event, and depending on who is judging. In the eyes of ESPN analyst Todd McShay, Fromm is a first-round talent. At this stage, at least. RELATED: Mel Kiper Jr. ranks Jacob Eason ahead of Jake Fromm

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I literally don't know. He's one of those non-typical QBs kinda like a Tebow (but certainly NOT Tebow). I have no idea whether his strengths are strengths in the NFL or not. I guess we will see and whether drafted 1st round, 3rd round or undrafted, we'll see how he does in the NFL. Best of luck.

• Options
    JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

Interesting that Thomas is still considered “raw” after 3 years of coaching.

• Options
    SCEdwards123SCEdwards123 Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

Not sure how cold weather teams playing in an outdoor stadium will grade Fromm. I don't know if his hands are small or not but he really struggled in bad weather games with his grip and accuracy this year. I hope he does go in the first round. Great qb and ambassador for UGA.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Fromm is the type of QB who will always find a way to win

I like Jake. But if he had done that in a couple of his biggest games. He would be Jake the "Legend".

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 345 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It'd be a good boost to UGA if Jake goes in the first round.

• Options
    EvilSamPittmanEvilSamPittman Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would take bets on this. Fromm not going in 1st round.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good luck to Jake in whichever round he drafts in.

However, it's time to turn our focus on 2020 without Fromm. The Dawgs are loaded with talent on both sides of the ball. No matter what the outcome of the QB competition, there will be a QB behind the Dawgs that should be above average to excellent. He will have a plethora of quality receivers to throw to - better than ANY group the Dawgs have had EVER. I'm not worried about the OL, because I wasn't super impressed with their play this year other than in a couple of games. We've got enough talent there to be competitive. Our defense will be as stout or even better than this year's squad.

2020 could be the year of the Natty or certainly AT least the playoffs.

ESPN's early 2020 Top 25 has the Dawgs @ #6 and Bama @ #3. Sports Illustrated's early Top 25 has the Dawgs @ #2 only behind Clemson and before Bama (#4). In any case, there is no reason we can't beat Bama even on their turf.

From Sports Illustrated...

2. Georgia

The top three teams in the SEC are all losing veteran quarterbacks, but the Bulldogs might have scored the coup of transfer season by landing Wake Forest evacuee Jamie Newman, who was second in the ACC in total offense at 287 yards per game. Combine that key transfer with the monster recruiting classes that Kirby Smart has stacked up, and Georgia could be next season’s LSU. (But the offensive line will have to be largely rebuilt.)

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

SCEdwards and I agree on this one....Jake and the physical climate. My major point with Fromm are his cold and wet weather hands....they don't work as well. Teams have to be aware of this. It was most noticeable this past season. Otherwise, Jake was good for UGA football. His "mind" is always in the game. People respect him. Good-hearted Lad. Hope he is drafted in early round...good .for him and for UGA.

DawgOn is right...".Though Pittman is an unparalleled recruiter, he did not coach his recruits up as he should have, or we would have road graded many defenses having much smaller linemen." As some of you know, I have problems with Pittman. Great PR man, not so great coach. He is a "hale fellow well met" type. Big grin, greets you like you're his best friend. Great for recruits, yet leaves UGA's top lineman "raw," after three years? Luke has the same initial charm but produces on the field...so far!!! Glad Pittman is gone but it likely cost UGA a top recruit/commit Broderick Jones. Not sure but likely.

• Options
    Ga247Ga247 Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

I couldn't agree with you more Ugagolf80. The Patriots were the first team I thought of when he declared for the NFL.

With Jake's football intelligence he would soak up Belichick's offense like a sponge; and he would also have the advantage of being Brady's understudy for a year or two (who knows how much longer he will play).

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Are you kidding me? People pay to read McShay's, Kiper's too for that matter, worthless drivel about the draft? You'd think they'd be on some NFL team's payroll the way ESPN pumps them up as "draft experts". Here's a thought: take that money you'd pay to ESPN to the corner bar and ask the bartender his or her opinion about the draft. The OPINION you get will be just as "expert" as McShay or Kiper, plus you will get a drink!

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It would be great for Jake to get drafted in the 1st round and while I don't like the Patriots, it would not be a bad thing for him to play behind Brady for a few years while he adjusts and develops for the pro game.

I haven't heard a whole lot about Andrew Thomas being raw as a 3 year starter and two at left tackle, where if you're raw in college, you have almost no chance of success as a left tackle in the pros. I wouldn't have described him as raw as a true freshman right tackle I don't know what McShay is seeing on film and I doubt most of us who have watched Thomas play, would not describe him as raw. I would describe him as a 10 year NFL starter at left tackle. If you don't think Pittman develops players, who saw Isaiah Wynn going in the 1st round and protecting Brady's blindside? Who thinks Isaiah Wilson has not improved since he's been with Pittman. In the upcoming draft, Solomon Kinley may go in the first 3 rounds and how can Pittman not get some credit for his development?

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2020

I've thought about this too for the past couple years. The Pats drafted Stidham last year, so what do they do with him? Is he the guy or do they move to Fromm? I would love to see Jake hand off to Sony like old times!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jake must of gotten some kinda of assurance he was going in the top 2 rounds or else he stays and tries to move up higher. Lot of money difference between low 1st round(don't believe it) or high to middle 2nd round(better possibility) than the 3rd round. He has to be in a position where someone convinced him that returning to UGA and putting up better numbers wan't going to improve his stock.

Hard to believe that would be in the 3rd round or later.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Love all Jake did for UGA, but his "football intelligence" goes out the window in bad weather. Playing half the season in Boston in cold, wet conditions would be a recipe for disaster.

• Options
    SteelerDawgSteelerDawg Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ Junior

Amen. Good luck to you Jake but don't let he door hit ya. Best of luck to all the dawgs headed to or in the pros but it's time to focus on who wants to be here. Its time for Jamie and the jets!

• Options
    Topdawg2002Topdawg2002 Posts: 40 ✭✭ Sophomore

We all know Pittman is a great recruiter. But to have all them 5 star lineman and we cant blow teams up with the running game even though they know it is a run something wrong. Our guys was losing the line of scrimmage. That is a lack of coaching there.

• Options
    ypcregypcreg Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think JF's biggest asset is his ability to read the defense. But he lacks in arm strength, accuracy and mobility. So, he is an adequate or even good college QB but it will be difficult for him to survive in the NFL. I would predict he will not be drafted in the first 3 rounds. I actually will not be surprised if he is not drafted at all.