Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Favorite Kobe moment

RedbonebanditRedbonebandit Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When he drained a 3 while getting fouled in the gold medal game against Spain. Hits the free throw essentially ending the game.

Comments

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This. He put up the six shooters. He was close to the end of his career at that point, but that competitive fire never dimmed.

• Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I always thought Kobe's style reminded me of MJ but the similarities between the two shown in this video are crazy...

R.I.P. Kobe Bryant.

• AugDawg69AugDawg69 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’ll never forget when Kobe his that three in the playoffs against the suns before commercial break, smacking the Suns coach on the butt. Classic Mamba

• LORLOR Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Rookie year playoffs when he throws up a couple of air balls. Then stories come out about his work ethic over the summer and how that flop didn’t break him, but made him want to be great even more. All that at 18. Terrific player with a ton of talent, but he also just wanted it more.

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We all know the saying “Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.”

Kobe Bryant is what happens when talent works hard.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How can one say that MJ is better than Kobe or visa versa? Both were a joy to behold on the basketball court.

To the original question... I don't have a particular game or play... perhaps the game where Kobe scored 82 points. For me it was about how many buzzer beaters Kobe scored. When the game was on the line he was money!

• Mia_Dade06Mia_Dade06 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This . I’ll never forget that game and big shot Robert Horry. The Lakers and Kings rivalry was short lived but fierce and the games were amazing.

• TThisDawggTThisDawgg Posts: 192 ✭✭✭ Junior

I can't remember when but I can remember announcers pointing out the fact he was playing left handed. Kobe was a righty! Dude still dropping buckets on those fade a ways. Just something special of an athlete.

• otis1105otis1105 Posts: 324 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s was like 2011. He broke his right index finger and took the last shot of the game left handed and drained it from midrange.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2020

Gosh I must be older than I thought. I've been shooting wads of paper into the trash can for a long time, but I never knew I was supposed to say "Kobe" when I did it? (Not dumping on the guy, just genuinely never heard of that before the last couple of days.)

• DawgwiredDawgwired Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Watched my son do it at least a thousand times over the years and probably way more. Sometimes it would take 8 tries to simply get trash in to the trashcan. But he loved every second of it. He did it so much his younger sister started doing it and she had no idea why. It was contagious caught myself doing it occasionally too

How did his name get associated with that- was there an ESPN commercial or something?

• DawgwiredDawgwired Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That’s a great question. And really have no idea. We were trying to figure that out the other night. It may have caught on from Kobe taking a lot of last second shots and the announcers saying his name as he took it to win the game and it grew from there.

• corai3corai3 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I coach a middle school basketball team. I have a player has worn 24 all year. He has come off the bench all year. Last night in our first game since the news of Bryant’s death, he had a career night. He scored 14 points and had 10 rebounds. #SportsAreCool #Mamba