Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Realistic expectations don't exist for Georgia football quarterback Jamie Newman

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited January 2020 in Article commenting

imageRealistic expectations don't exist for Georgia football quarterback Jamie Newman

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. Expectations already sky-high for new Georgia football quarterback Jamie Newman Jamie Newman hasn't been on the

Read the full story here

Comments

• GBALGBAL Posts: 739 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

so why keep hyping him CR???

• GBALGBAL Posts: 739 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Mickey_HandMickey_Hand Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

“Realistic expectations don’t exist for Georgia football quarterback Jamie Newman”

Here’s the thing – a couple of your colleagues, one who appears regularly on DawgNation LITE and one who IS DawgNation LITE seem to believe it’s their sacred duty to create UN-realistic expectations. 🙄🙄

• latemodelraylatemodelray Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

1 step at a time

First job is for him to win the starting job

• BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Connor has been spewing the same thing for two weeks, or longer, now. The only competition, in Connor’s eyes, is who will be Newman’s backup. Granted, you don’t bring in transfers to sit on the bench but they’re also not anointed by beat writers! Go Dawgs!

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think most Georgia fans are realistic about our QB situation and the last thing we're thinking about is a Heisman Trophy winner. Most of this hype around Newman is being perpetrated by the media who clearly has an agenda.

• robertasmithrobertasmith Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

I've said since Newman came on board, while I hope the hype is justified, can we at least wait until G-Day to see how he does against the Dawgs' defense? That will be a clue, it seems to me.

• BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

There are a lot of Georgia people who believe the crazy logic..."Well LSU got a transfer QB. That QB had a crazy year that no one dreamed he would have and LSU won........The same thing will happen at Georgia" No......this guy, in all probablity, is not the Georgia Burrow

• PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Fromm always worked to put his team into position to win. I, like others, questioned his motivations, turning pro after a lackluster year. I suspect that Fromm's dedication to the Dawgs' success played a factor. Maybe he realized the O needed a fresh start, and by staying, he was preventing that. Fromm will always be a DGD.

• Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Could you imagine if Mathis or Beck were the starting QB all season with Newman being a "Heisman Candidate"?

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Connor Riley: "But even if Smart had gone ahead and named Newman the starter, the hype he’s already getting wouldn’t be any different." There may be a competition of sorts but I feel Smart has placed Newman on the "tentative" starter roster.....I M O !! Monken will have a say as well. UGA must be humming along on all cylinders come Bama day! Saban will be ready. The UGA staff is in place to accomplish this. BEAT BAMA!!! (But beat VA first)! GO DAWGS!!!

• dcjarrelldcjarrell Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

I personally hope that we exorcise 40 years of championship demons, rather then exercise them!

40 years is quite enough exercise for our championship demons!!

• GoodGameGoodGame Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2020

I don't think that is the case. I think people are excited for all the changes occurring after last season. To me, and I don't know how many share this idea, I think this is a team still built around it's defense. That defense just didn't get all the help it needed last year. I think the defense coming in next year will be just as good, if not better, than the one on the field last year. Pair that with a more versatile offense and you have a better recipe. Not saying it leads to a National Title and I am OK with that. Should be fun to watch. I come at it from an optimistic standpoint, makes games and the season more exciting.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We can banter this all day...Jamie or not Jamie.....offense is the issue....or not.....defense is still the Dawg mantra.....I have been thinking this.....Just maybe Newman gets the chance to run (RPO) and scores a couple TDs...what then? He is good at this. Fromm was not. Yes, just maybe this guy Newman is a real play-maker....he has proven himself to be one to scamper if no one is open and they even called running plays for him at WF! He is that good. He makes plays happen!!! He creates the spread as he leaves the pocket....then he is most dangerous...as a pure runner...not just a scrambler/passer. I have a good feeling about Jamie Newman. I can see why Smart is so high on him. This could be a very exciting year for the Dawgs!!!

• gafanlivinginalgafanlivinginal Posts: 62 ✭✭✭ Junior

I have a theory. I think maybe in those meetings Fromm had with CKS right before he announced his decision, Fromm told him he was frustrated with the offensive play calling and maybe that's why he didn't come back and maybe that contributed to Smart's decision to get a new OC.

• BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

Not leading to a National Championship...and you're okay with that? I'm not.......Anything less than a National Championship is unacceptable.......I remember the Richt years where people were talking "9-3...wow that was a good season"....I don't want to go back to that

• GoodGameGoodGame Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2020

Everybody comes at it from a different angle. To me, putting that much emphasis on a National Title seems exhausting. I couldn't imagine sitting through a game with the weight of that worry on my mind. It wouldn't be fun anymore to me. Do you stop watching once UGA is out of contention? It's the goal but not the ultimatum. Sure I get upset when they play bad and I always want them to continue to improve, but guess what, other teams are improving as well and only one of them can win it each year. I think this is an exciting time for UGA. They are building something that has positive momentum at the moment and getting the right pieces in place to get to that level. I am happy to be on the ride, and I hope that culminates to national titles.

I can't fault you for your stance though. As I said we all come at it from a different angle. Out of curiosity, when you say unacceptable, do you mean that if we don't win a national title there should be a complete housecleaning? What ultimatum have you attached to that unacceptable behavior?

On another note, I hate to break it to you but we will have another 9-3 season at some point, and could possibly have a string of seasons where a 9-3 season seems like a dream come true. I don't hope for that but I am a realist and know that at this level of college football it is hard to stay on top forever.