Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

1917 Was Robbed!!!

AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sam Mendes made a beautiful, personal, close-to-perfect war film, one for the ages, but Hollywood decided to make a political statement instead. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I am damned disappointed. Oh well.

-------

(For those who don't follow this stuff, a Korean film called "Parasite" just won Best Picture.)

Comments

• RedDawgOneRedDawgOne Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

It won for best picture and best foreign picture. Something is wrong there. Shouldn’t be in Both of those categories. And I agree with you about 1917.

• RandomFanRandomFan Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good to see I'm not the only one that thought 1917 wasn't everyone's cup of tea. It certainly wasn't mine. And I guess you haven't seen Parasite, because it was definitely deserving.

• oddsbodkinoddsbodkin Posts: 176 ✭✭✭ Junior

Hollywood is brain rot.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Didn't really like 1917. As a somewhat pseudo-scholar of WWI and WWII, I thought the movie was entirely too narrow in scope. Dunkirk was the same way. Both movies really sidestepped the absolute carnage and chaos of their respective situations. Both movies were quite disappointing. Not bad, just could have been a more thorough examination of the subject.

• DawgwiredDawgwired Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Do you have to read the whole movie. If so I’m not down with that

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2020

I haven't seen any of the movies in question, but nothing you posted seemed to deem 2 DV's, so I'm UV'ing to counter it. 😛

• Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Could you imaging the screaming that would occur if the shoe was on the other political foot? Wow.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This thread didn't go as I expected but I thought I'd add one follow-up comment then y'all can carry on or let it die, as you like.

1. I make a point to see all the best picture nominees. Parasite is a fascinating movie, certainly worthy of the Oscar for best foreign film.
    2. 1917 deserved the best picture award, not only from my perspective, but from the perspective of the Producers Guild, the Directors Guild, the Golden Globes and the BAFTAs.
    3. The Grand Bell Awards (Korea's equivalent of the Oscars) has five nominees for best picture this year: Parasite, Extreme Job, Forbidden Dream, House of Hummingbird, and Innocent Witness. Shockingly, they are all Korean films...

The illogic and injustice here should be obvious. I am sorely disappointed, in a personal way, for Sam Mendes.

And for those who didn't care for 1917, to each his own. No film has universal appeal. For those who haven't seen it, I cannot recommend it highly enough. But don't take my word. Here's a film critic's comment that sums it up pretty well.

“1917” is a work of sweeping scale yet pinpoint intimacy. It is filmmaking at its best and most piercingly alive.

Next time your pessimistic friend tells you there’s no reason to leave the couch anymore, drag them straight into the car and go see this.

• bobbybobby Posts: 150 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 2020

Giving awards for art is dumb. The sooner you realize that...the better you'll feel.

• DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Parasite is a da-mn good film as well. Wasn't upset by that pick as well. Another great film from that director is Snowpeircer. Check it out if you get a chance.

• how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Once a time in Hollywood should have won...only one of the nominated I saw. And Brad was very good in it, his fight scene with Bruce Lee was a riot !