Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

This NBA draft class must be bAd

DawgwiredDawgwired Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m sitting here watching the potential number 1 player not be able to shoot the ball at a high level. His athleticism is off the charts. He still needs another year at least to me. Compare to last year when Zion and several others could’ve played in the NBA last year and are dominant players this year. Do not see anything close to that in this draft.

Comments

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2020

This draft IS one of the worst in several years. But I'm going to go in another direction from you and likely garner many downvotes :P. Edwards would do himself a big favor by leaving Georgia after this year, no matter if it is transferring or declaring anyway. Period. By the time Tom Crean is done with his hands on him if he were to stay, he would go from lottery to undrafted.

I view Crean that lowly. And since this isn't the main basketball thread, I am free to say it. It's really actually too bad. He recruited his butt off for the 2019 recruiting class but he's continuing to show that he is a worthless coach. Young kids like Edwards, Wheeler, and Camara are very talented, but Crean is failing in teaching them.

He's getting fired pretty quickly. Not after this year, but it will stun me if he's not fired after the end of next season or in 2022.

• AugDawg69AugDawg69 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wth happened to Crean? It’s been an embarrassing season. That’s worse than bad

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

According to an article on TOS Crean has the full support of McGarity. TIFWIW.

• DGDinNYCDGDinNYC Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The fact that this class is so weak is even more reason for him to bounce. No need to stick around in case next year's class is better and give more scouts more time to poke holes in his game.

HS kids and coaches love Crean. But the honeymoon is almost over.

• UGAJ0EUGAJ0E Posts: 240 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm sorry but I hate this take with basketball. This isnt an 85 man football team. Basketball can be reset from year to year. One player can completely change a team. I didnt expect a national championship team this year, but this should have been at least a competitive team with a decent chance to make the tourney.

It's not and that's Crean's fault. If we want to give him a pass or an opportunity to try again in the next few years that's fine but we also cant act like he didnt fail this year on his own merit.

• DawgwiredDawgwired Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree. Crean hasn’t done himself any favors after making a splash with Edwards. Edwards was a top 2 projection before he came and we were mediocre. Edwards came and he’s still a top 2 (primarily based on his elite athleticism and high ceiling) and the team is still mediocre. What’s he going to sell. Playing time? Edwards would’ve started any where.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Godawgs2019Godawgs2019 Posts: 95 ✭✭✭ Junior

This is what happens when you go to a non basketball team; all of your deficiencies are exposed due to the load you must carry. We don't have enough talent to play tho his strengths. Had he gone to Kentucky/Unc/Duke I doubt there would be much debate about him being the number 1 overall pick.

• corai3corai3 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ben Simmons was the number one pick at LSU and they didn't make the tournament. The NBA doesn't care if the players team makes the tourney or not.

• lmiked7lmiked7 Posts: 144 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm not sure what everyone was expecting after going 11-21 last season and having a roster full of freshmen. It has been a little disappointing but never did I think this team was a tournament team once Claxton left.

What's made this season tough to watch is the blown leads which is 100% a symptom of having such a young team. Landing Edwards generated a lot of hype and false hope for a fan base that is starved to make it back to the dance again.

Give Crean two more seasons. If he hasn't made the tournament once Wheeler and Camara are Juniors then we can start talking about Crean being on the hot seat. Right now he is rebuilding what had devolved into a pretty bad basketball program under Fox.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Edwards shows flashes of greatness (first half against Florida). Normally that would leave him around the 5th pick based on potential. Weak draft has him higher.

Crean has been completely unable to make an adjustment in any game I've watched. He has confused a very young group of players. Obviously the team needs some size, but you have to be able to adjust and get the players to react. It might be the players, but it sure as he77 hasn't worked.

• BeefDawgBeefDawg Posts: 115 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This is a horrible draft class. One of the worst I've ever seen.

Wiseman is the only standout, and he's going to be a perennial elite NBA player for the next decade+, he's that good. If he doesn't go #1 I'll laugh hysterically at the team who passed on him.

Edwards has insane potential and a crazy high ceiling, but he's only 18yo and actually quite far behind where he will eventually end up. He's no Dwayne Wade, like some have compared him, but he'll be averaging 28ppg on 43% shooting with above average defense in about 5-6 years. Which is of course great, but he's got a while before he gets there.

But that's probably going to get him the #2 pick in this draft, which is crazy, because that's basically Cam Reddish potential right there and we got that guy at #10 last season. Not to mention getting Trae Young at #5, who is already on the verge of super-stardom, and still isn't close to done getting better.

After Wiseman and Edwards, there's nobody. LaMelo can't shoot, and everyone else with a top-10 projection is beyond average at best.

Vernon Carey Jr. (Andre Drummond comp), Jalen Smith (John Collins comp), Jahmi'us Ramsey (Devin Booker comp), and Tyler Bey (Jimmy Butler comp), are the only mid-late round potential gems.

I'd MUCH rather trade back or have a mid-late round pick for one of those guys than to be in the 3-10 range and think I have to select the likes of LaMelo Ball or RJ Hampton.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Speaking of Dwyane Wade, my son got to meet him this week at the TNT studios. Said he was a super nice guy.

• FritzKevinFritzKevin Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

I agree with Godawgs2019, all the minuses of players are truly highlighted. This year was a fluke, maybe next one is better, who knows, but at this point my hopes are honestly down, seems like sport is taking a minor downfall lately.