Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Talking Trash....Yay or Nay?

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: Next to Commit to the G 2021.

Comments

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't like that type of behavior. There's no need to talk trash and rub it in the guy's face, because the next play he could out jump you and get the INT and you're there sitting their holding your j*ck.

Act like you've been there.

• LBCoachLBCoach Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

oh boo hoo. Make a good play and talk your sh*t. But you better be ready to do it again next play. That's what I tell my guys

Well I disagree with your approach. What good does it do to talk shite??? I guess your generation doesn't teach sportsmanship these days!

In case you're wondering Kirby doesn't like Pickens getting emotionally out of control either. Such behavior cost him the first half of the SEC Championship game. Not smart.

You can justify trash talk anyway you want, but sportsmanship is part of the greater lesson of sports. You'd do well to remember that life lesson.

• Mia_Dade06Mia_Dade06 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Randy moss , Ocho cinco , Ab , TO , Odell , all great players with big personalities and yes the wideout position is full of players like this . There only so any Michael Thomas players or Reggie Wayne’s or Marvin Harrison’s. Comes with the territory . Steve Smith one of my favorite wide outs of all time was the best trash talker out there and my favorite player because he played way bigger than his 5’9 stature . Always attacking and high pointing the ball.

• lmiked7lmiked7 Posts: 144 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think once we've reached the level of SEC football and beyond, sportsmanship takes a major backseat to being talented and producing on the field. I will absolutely teach my kids sportsmanship because I think it's an important quality; but if my kid grows up to score the winning TD against Florida in 2040 and spikes the ball in a gators face I'm going to be thrilled. If they did that in Pee Wee league they'd run laps and come home with a sore ass.

• AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let your good play do the talking.

• WalterWalter Posts: 105 ✭✭✭ Junior

Arguably the greatest player in college football history, Herschel Walker, did not spike the ball, dance around or trash talk other players.  I was sitting in the student section in 1980 vs. USCjr when he swept right and blew by 3 players with a potential angle to cut him.  All he wanted to do was hand the ball to the ref and return to the sidelines.

• WalterWalter Posts: 105 ✭✭✭ Junior

Apparently a less popular opinion, but I'm with Cassanova here, act like this isn't your first rodeo.

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sounds like I’m in the minority here, but I’m big on “act like you’ve been there”. Celebration is fine. Over doing it is not. What is allowed in the college game is fine with me, although the dawgs have got some big time BS excessive celebration penalties that have cost them games. (LSU a ways back, TN Hail Mary)

Trash talk is something totally different to me. I dont Agree with it, but can’t usually hear it. So go for it , if it’s your thing.

Totally ok with trash talk in a golf group amongst friends. I better Be anyway

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let your level of play do the talking....

• Old_lady_dawg_fanOld_lady_dawg_fan Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate