Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Talking Trash....Yay or Nay?

Comments

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,566 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The people that trash talk will certainly say it works.

• CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2020

Michael Jordan ended Muggsy Bogues' career with words. He broke opponents' spirit to compete.

• CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well that certainly didn't help lol. But I believe he said in as many family friendly words during a playoff game, "shoot the ball, you darn short guy" and Muggsy just missed everything.

• BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t think it’s fair to compare trash talking and some moron pretending to pee on someone like a dog.

• RedBlackDawgRedBlackDawg Posts: 354 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’ll be the first one to talk trash to other top 20 teams......AFTER we win a NATTY. Not until then.....

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks for the follow up @texdawg. Good stuff.

After giving this some more thought, I felt the need to revise my original comment. I said there was no trash talking back in the day, but as others have pointed out, that's not quite true. There were guys who liked to talk, but it was more of the exception rather than the rule, and it was always done in a way that no one in the stands would even be aware.

I think those are the two main differences today. (1) Trash talking has become the norm, rather than the exception; and (2) It is frequently done in a demonstrative way that draws unnecessary attention to the player(s) involved.

The MJ/Bogues story is a good example of the old school approach. The HS video that prompted this discussion is a good example of the new school.

• RW24RW24 Posts: 61 ✭✭✭ Junior

hell yes is the answer.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Weak minds are weakened by mere trash talking. Additionally, getting into someone else’s helmet can adversely affect the rest of the team on an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. I like how CKS says that Georgia talks with their collective helmets. When I think of trash talking in the SEC?? Instant thoughts of Fleriduh Gayturs come into my mind. Beating them each Halloween is even MORE fun after listening to them run their collective mouths for an entire week. GO DAWGS!!!

Look up at the SCOREBOARD BABY!!!

• LORLOR Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I remember hearing a story about Calvin Johnson (I think?) getting into someone’s head because he never spoke. That’s what worked for Johnson. Jordan liked to talk all game. That’s what worked for him. Be true to yourself unless it hurts the team.

• dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When I was playing pool semi professionally, I loved the trash talkers. They were usually the easiest marks. For sure, there were a few exceptions, but most of the really good players I faced were more appreciative of talent, congratulatory of effective strategy. 14.1 was my game then, now 9-ball. Frustratingly, I'm not the shooter I used to be.

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"trash talking" means so many different things to different people, in my experience. As I read all these great posts, I feel like sometimes different dudes are talking about different things. I feel the greatest differentiation is VOLUME!

From tip to buzzer, I am not sure if I ever shut up. Was it trash? I don't think so. No four letter words, but there was A LOT of conversation, even if the guy never talked back. Sounds funny, but I think I actually focused better when my mouth was running. And it wasn't loud - pretty much me and the other dude. Keep in mind, I pretty much **** in college, but I played against a lot of guys who didn't. There was a WIDE RANGE of talkers - and the level of talk was NEVER proportional to their talent. There were great players who talked, and some who never said a word. LOUD guys who **** were not respected.

In my experience, intense competition can be compared to alcohol. Neither one really changes your personality, they just GREATLY accentuate it. I think the talk is EXPRESSION on steroids sometimes...

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let me tell ya a story...

Back in the day I played college Intramural Basketball. We went up against teams that were way more athletic than us - to be politically correct. We did have a ringer, a transfer from Indiana St., who could shoot the lights out. When we played more athletic teams they would invariably start to build up a lead of 10-20 points on us. They taunted us, called us names and talked so much trash it was unbelievable, until we identified their weakness. We'd tighten up the D, move the ball around very quickly and unleash the Indiana boy. Before you know it the trash talkers started turning on each other and playing 1:1 ball. Before you could say "Unsportsman Like Conduct" we'd blow by them on the scoreboard. They played their usual tricks by calling fantom fouls, but by then we were so far in their heads they couldn't throw a pea in the ocean.

Trash talking may never leave sports, but as you can see from the above story it has it's disadvantages.

• dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You wouldn't have recognized me, I was skinny and had long hair!

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t mind trashing talking. However, it feels like my “your momma” jokes are past their prime

Yo mamma so fat...when she fell in love...she broke it

Yo momma so fat.....she got baptized at sea world.

Yo momma so fat.....even God couldn't lift her spirits

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yo mama so fat the stock market crashed when she skipped breakfast.

Yo mama so dumb she sold her car for gas money.

Yo mama so old she still owes Jesus $5.