Home Diamond Dawgs Baseball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

2020 UGA Baseball Thread

Comments

• Options
    BiggDawgg63BiggDawgg63 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Augusta, N Augusta unless you’re on I 20 it’s hard to tell one from the other. And that’s not a dig on either. I mean when you cross the state line not in town, big difference.

• Options
    BiggDawgg63BiggDawgg63 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I know it was only Richmond but the Dawgs did what they had to and pulled out a couple of one run games.

• Options
    hunterbeardhunterbeard Posts: 37 ✭✭ Sophomore

Who’s going to the double header today?

• Options
    MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I tell ya Blaylock sure has been a huge addition at the plate with everything we have to replace from last year. Ryan Webb was filthy in the 5 innings he's tossed so far. Over 2 k's per inning. And the freshman Jonathan Cannon seems to be our closer sooner than later. Big kid that tosses aspirins up there.

• Options
    chattdawg27chattdawg27 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Ryan Webb was absolutely amazing, kids stock has to be going up. I know it was Santa Clara & not Vanderbilt but gotta love the grit & determination to come back & win the 1st one yesterday.

• Options

The freshman arms in the bullpen look really good!

• Options
    edited February 2020

Yep especially Cannon and Childers. Tucker is absolutely seeing beach balls rite now. Cam's heating up, and while his average isn't great rite now; Blaylock has crazy power ( and I won't be shocked if he drops 15 bombs or more this year. Ryan Webb has been Filthy this year averaging 2k's an inning.

Garret Brown looks like Kevin Brown out there at 6'7 and has been electric.

We may be one or 2 bats in the lineup from comfortably saying a Natty is coming this year. But getting to Omaha SHOULD be very obtainable. With 2 guys that will be top 5 picks and all of these young power arms; we SHOULD be in every game on the schedule.

But having to go to Gville, Vandy, A&M, Mizzou etc makes it a gauntlet of a schedule. We're definitely going to find out what kind of character as a team we have.

• Options
    Ugadawg1993Ugadawg1993 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Will Childers is from my hometown hopefully Stricklin gives him the nod when we play gsu at srp park.

• Options
    edited February 2020

I'm there with you. Garrett Brown on Ryan Webb have been getting the nod when Hancock or Wilcox don't start. But in these ooc games, (especially during the week) I'd think Childers, Webb, and Brown get ALOT of work. Because Cannon from what I've seen and heard is gonna be our closer sooner than later. Jmo but the weekend rotation when conference play begins will be Hancock, Wilcox and Webb with Brown being thrown in the 3 spot in certain series depending on how much bullpen we've used on that weekend and who is available on those wknds.

So if Brown and Childers get us thru the week. That leaves the big 3 + Cannon, and several of these other pups who are loaded with potential.

A few shocks to me this year has been how crazy of a start Tucker has gotten. Anderson being a leadoff stud etc. But Blaylock has to quit striking out so much, and Riley King is off to a slow start. But the pitching, situational hitting, baserunning, and defense has been stellar. We've got the pieces to accomplish a ton this year. I just think we may be 1 or 2 big bats away.

• Options

Hopefully Riley King gets back to being himself tomorrow night vs tech

• Options

Yea we really need his bat. Cole Tate is starting really strong too. Chaney Rogers isn't slugging much but he'd be a perfect 2 hole hitter behind Anderson and in front of Tucker, Cam, and Blaylock.

I didn't even know Tucker pitched. But as of right now he's our closer. We have some power arms in the pen. So good we haven't even mentioned CJ Smith and he's been nearly unhittable. Ready to spank Tech's arse. I'm gonna go check em out against GSU in Statesboro in March.

• Options

I think Jonathan Cannon could be the closer eventually.

• Options
    JAXDAWGJAXDAWG Posts: 134 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Is Tucker Maxwell still on the team?

• Options

No maxwell was drafted

• Options
    edited February 2020

Yea I mentioned that in one of the comments above. We've only had 1 save situation so far. Tucker Bradley got that save. I've never personally seen Tucker pitch. But out of all the young arms, I hear Cannon and Garret Brown are the 2 that stand out. Like u I think (and have heard) Cannon is gonna be our go to guy in the 9th. Idk if they want to get his feet wet 1st or if Tucker is that nasty for an inning. Both have great numbers. Along with CJ Smith. We brought in a really good class last cycle and imo we're only gonna lose Hancock, Cam and Sullivan after the season. Tucker's a junior, Wilcox will have another year, and I think Chaney Rogers will take over at 1st. I'd really like to bring in at least 2 stud bats and a couple of Ryan Webb caliber arms in the next class. If we do; I think we'd have everything to make a deep run in Omaha. One crazy stat this year is we've only been thrown out trying to steal like once in 20 attempts. While we've thrown out like 6 out of 7. The pitching is there (both starting and bullpen depth). We just have to hit. I'm telling u Blaylock is a hawse lol. Just strikes out entirely too much. But he's got so much pop; if he can hit .265 he's gonna have double digit hrs by midyear. Grueling road schedule this year for sure.

• Options

Tucker Bradley might get drafted this summer

• Options
    edited February 2020

Oh without question he WILL get drafted. No doubt. Will happen 100%. But imo not high enough that would outweigh coming back next year and if he does the same thing he'll be anywhere from round 3 to 9. But I've always been told if ur gonna leave early from a non HS or Juco; (D1) unless your gonna go in the 1st 10 rounds, you'd be better off coming back to show that the previous year was no fluke. He's absolutely tearing the cover off the ball. But before this year he didn't hit with ALOT of pop, and his average could have been alot better. He's always been a nuisance on the bags for pitchers and catchers. N I could very well be wrong because everyone's situation is different. But I honestly think he'll be back next year unless his numbers get so ridiculous that an organization can't afford not to take a chance on him. I signed as an undrafted Free agent at 21. The cats that go in the top 10 rounds are expected to be sure fire big leaguers one day. I can't see that (at the current moment) with Tucker. But who knows; I've seen crazier things.

• Options

Tonight’s game got a little stressful in the late innings.

• Options
    edited February 2020

Yea brother that one was a lil too close for comfort after our offensive outburst gave us a little cushion. The more I watch and listen to the games, the more respect I have for just how deep our pitching really is.

We run 2 future top 5 picks out there on Fridays and Saturdays and CJ Smith is just dirty. I'm gonna go out on a limb and even say when CJ leaves; I can see him going in the 8- 13th round and raking in 6 figures. Obviously Emerson and Cole are in a league of their own. But Ryan Webb is crazy good! CJ too. Garret Brown is a future Friday night starter, and that gives us 5 guys that can go deep into a game. And as dirty as Webb is, he may be soley used to close this year. Just guessing because injuries can't be accounted for. But we have at a MINIMUM of 7 to 8 hurlers that ARE gonna get drafted.

Our young bats are starting to produce and when Blaylock gets hot; that kid is gonna start peppering kudzu hill with regularity. In bp, this kid regularly clears that batters eye in center. Crazy strong kid. With Webb going 3 1/3 tonight, he'll be a no go most likely for the wknd. But if he truly is gonna take the closer role he may have an inning in him Sunday. This is really an exciting team to watch.

• Options

I know I said Tucker would be here next year because he wouldn't go in the top 10 rounds. But you can't coach speed, and he's always a threat to be on the move. But the way he's swinging the bat rite now (and being a lefty doesn't hurt) he may very well be a high round pick. He's on fire 🔥. Had 6 career hr's coming into the season. He's already got that on the year and leads the conference in HR and RBI's and we haven't even entered conference play.