Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Off Season Reading List/Book Club?

DGDinNYCDGDinNYC Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I thought this might be a fun thread to help pass the time till September and take/offer any suggestions on good reading options for the spring and Summer.

I'm currently reading The Perfect Pass, I've always heard this was a great book and wanted to learn more about the advent of the Air Raid and with our new coaching staff coming in now felt like the perfect time.

It's a really informative and easy read. I really can't wait to see how these philosophies taken hold within our system. I doubt we go full Mike Leach but the whole mentality of "passing to win" resonates throughout the book and I'm anxious to see it manifest itself between the hedges this fall. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Would love any additional suggestions or thoughts if you have read this book. A few other's I've really enjoyed recently:

Shoe Dog- Phil Knight's Biography- I think the best part is the whole book is about his struggle to start Nike and it ends right when he "makes it"

Homicide- This is the pre-cursor to the NBC show from the late 90's of the same name written by the writers of HBO's the Wire. Follows Baltimore Homicide cops for a year. Long but well worth it.

Power House- The Book about the CAA Agency- Really great look at how the Founders of CAA bootstrapped their way up from TV agents to the largest agency in the world today.

Comments

• mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It Takes What It Takes - sports psychologist Trevor Mowad on working with athletes on “neutral thinking” including our own Georgia Bulldogs. Interesting nuggets about being in the locker room at halftime of the Rose Bowl. Was with Bama’s staff for years and works with a lot of high profile athletes and programs.

• QueXQueX Posts: 225 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Just finished up ”The Way I Heard It” by Mike Rowe. Great book for those who only have 15-20 minutes of quiet time for reading a day. There are 2 anecdotes per chapter, one pertaining to pop culture or history, where he purposefully tries to leave you guessing about who he is talking about until the last line, and the other is a personal story from his days at QVC, narrating Deadliest Catch and hosting Dirty Jobs. Very enjoyable. Would be great beach reading as well.

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@mattmd2, Moawad’s book is on my list. Andy Staples, the co-author, did an interview with Trevor a few weeks back.

@QueX, Mike has a podcast by the same name. That trait- keeping you guessing until the end- is a hallmark of the stories he tells on the podcast. Mike Rowe is a master storyteller.

I’m currently reading Indianapolis, a book about the Navy cruiser that delivered the Hiroshima bomb. I’m only 100 pages in or so, but it’s been pretty good thus far.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2020

I'm reading two books. One is an academic book about the Iran vs Iraq war. The other is Norman Mailer's first book called 'The Naked & The Dead'. The prose in Mailer's book is stunning, particularly when you realize he was 23 when he wrote it.

• JohnnyBgoodJohnnyBgood Posts: 91 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just finished reading the long walk by Stephen King. Would make a terrific movie if they did it right.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’ve been reading lots of C. J. Box books, mainly the Joe Pickett series. Good writing about a game warden in Wyoming. Some of the best-written books I have read were the later books written by Kristen Hannah, especially The Nightingale; her books may be too feminine for some.

• DawgsonTopDawgsonTop Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have not read it yet, and really looking forward to the release. Is it more interesting stories, or actionable advice? Amazon reviews are mixed.

• cory430cory430 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I read about 3 books a week, mostly garbage fiction.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I just read the newest Grisham, The Guardians. I haven't really been a huge fan lately but this one had good reviews and I quite enjoyed it.

I'm just starting The Splendid and the Vile by Erik Larson. He's written some decent stuff like Devil in the White City so I'm hoping it will be enjoyable.

• Old_lady_dawg_fanOld_lady_dawg_fan Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm reading John Grisham's Playing for Pizza and I'm about to start West With the Night by Beryl Markham (who flew the first flight east to west across the Atlantic) and I'm eyeing a book about the Indianapolis: In Harm's Way.

• DGDinNYCDGDinNYC Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For fiction James Patterson is my go to guy. Admittedly, I skew about 80/20 non fiction but Alex Cross never disappoints!

• TurkDawgTurkDawg Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I read a lot of varying genres. Here are some of my favorites:

1. Wilbur Smith, his older stuff is great historical adventure fiction, many set in Africa. Avoid his newer stuff written with partner writers (too graphic and violent). I like Flight of the Falcon, Men of Men, When the Lion Feeds, Birds of Prey, Eye of the Tiger.
    2. Around the World in 80 Days, seriously, read it if you never have.
    3. John Macdonald short detective books about boat bum Travis McGee (all have colors in the names.
    4. Kipling’s SECOND Jungle Book - the short story Red Dog is one of my very favorites.
    5. In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson. Really funny.
    6. Paul Theroux’s Great Railway Bazaar. The story about Duffill cracks me up.
    7. Following the Equator by Mark Twain. A long book filled with all kinds of short stories from a round the world journey.
  • DCochranDCochran Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ok fellow Dawgnation brethren and sisteren....I'm a new, budding offer and I'm about to have a couple of books that will hit Ebooks pretty soon.

Are there any science fiction book fans on here?

• lmiked7lmiked7 Posts: 144 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • DCochranDCochran Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Random books from this last year that I enjoyed.

The Tros of Samothrace cycle by Talmont Mundy. First one is Tros of Samothrace hard to find but worth looking for.

The Matthew Corbett novels by Robert McCammon 1st one is Speaks the Night Bird

Any of the Agent Pentergast novels by Preston and Child. First one is Relic

The Traitor Son novels by Miles Cameron the first one is the Red Knight

Masters and Mages by Miles Cameron the first one is Cold Iron

The Sharpe Novels by Benard Cornwall the first one being Sharpe's Tiger. Or really just about anything the man has written the Last Kingdom books are excellent also.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just out of curiosity, do you dictate your posts? Guessing that's the only way "author" could end up as "offer."

• DGDinNYCDGDinNYC Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'd be happy to purchase a few copies! Please message me whenever it's out! Congrats!